“So very disappointed”

Ranked #38 of 170 Restaurants in Brookfield
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Today is our 21st wedding anniversary. It was my choice to go to Jake's as we have always been very happy with the food. I ordered the eye of the Rib Eye steak for a change instead of the usual filet. First of all, our server was very abrupt when taking our order. I requested that my steak be done with a pink middle and asked if that was a medium or medium well. He indicated it should be a medium. The steak was delivered and that was the last time the waiter came by the table. The steak of extremely tough and over-done. I have never had a rib eye that wasn't marbalized and tender before and had my doubts that it was even a rib eye. I cut a piece off and gave it to my husband to confirm that it was over-cooked and tough. After sitting there for quite some time without attention, the server came by to see if we wanted anything else. At that time, I had the opportunity to mention the toughness of the steak. He took it to wrap it and talked to the manager about it. The manager came by and offered us free desserts in exchange for an unpleasant dining experience. This, in my mind, did not make up for paying for a $32 steak that was not enjoyable. But, we did order a sundae and a creme' brulee. Again, we waited quite a while for this to be delivered and when it finally came, the ice cream in the sundae was totally melted and not edible. All in all, our anniversary celebration was marred by the unattentiveness of our server and we will have to think twice about returning. The Milwaukee area has to many fine steak places.

3  Thank momsshopping123

Reviewed April 29, 2012

This was our second visit in 6 months. The onions strings are excellent as usual. The wine list was good and the service was definitely better than average. What we noticed the most of each of the last two visits is Jake's definition of meat temperature is not consistent with most restaurants, particular on the shades medium and less. On both occasions a medium-rare steak came mostly pink with little to no red coloring. Be aware of your temperature requests, if you like Medium, maybe order "a little under medium". If you like medium-rare, maybe order "rare-plus" or "a little under medium-rare".

1  Thank CADream1n
Reviewed April 6, 2012

The steak is good, but it's an older place. They may have updated it since I have been there, a few years ago

1  Thank sweetpea107
Reviewed April 1, 2012

One of the worst steaks I have ever had. For a place that has been around for as long as it has the steak is very poor.

3  Thank Bryan R
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Excellent food and friendly service. We had a very good NY strip (prepared rare, as ordered, with peppercorn topping); half-duck, and my son said it was the best he's had; and a vegetarian pasta that was not on the menu but which was happily prepared for my wife.

They brought me a creme brule with a candle for my birthday. Normally it's a Sundae, but our server overheard me saying that if I wasn't so full I'd order a creme brule. I didn't know I was going to get anything, and it was a nice surprise.

The atmosphere was fine, but it's one big open room which is a little noisy. It didn't bother us, but it wouldn't be suitable for those who are looking for a "quiet" dinner.

1  Thank NoRebounds

Been to Jake's? Share your experiences!