“Bday Dinner”
Review of The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 172 Restaurants in Brookfield
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My 12 year old wanted to try this place for her birthday. It was nice that they posted her name on a sign at the reception desk and gave her a card.

It was a fun interactive family dinner but not the best food ever. Kids didn't like the beer in the cheese fondue, too much dressing on salads, cooking the meat yourself was very time consuming and items like the lobster lost its true flavor.

The restaurant is in need of a renovation. Our booth seats were torn up, the bathrooms were not clean, and cold air was blowing in every corner of the place.

Service was ok, slow at times, only one wait staff helping numerous tables.

They overcharge for the food they are selling and the lackluster condition of the restaurant.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I have to say it was a sad way to end 2013. My husband and I have been going to the Melting Pot in Brookfield WI for more than 10 years probably 3-5 times a year -so maybe having spent $3,000-$5,000 with the restaurant since each time we’ve gone we’ve spent $100-$225 – depending on the occasion and number of drinks and extras we’ve purchased.
When the email blast for the New Year’s dinner came out ... this year we decided to go and within minutes I called the restaurant for reservations. I guess I was too quick to make reservations because I didn’t realize we were forced into just a few restrictive options for dinner. We have always been able to have choices we liked...

So on New Year’s we arrived at 8:15 for our 8:30 reservation. At 9:15 we were seated and it was at that time I realized we were not going to be able to have the chocolate choice we wanted. My husband is ok with brown chocolate but I HATE and NEVER eat brown chocolate... EVERY time we’ve been to the Melting Pot we’ve always had white chocolate. At the very beginning of the meal – before we ordered anything I asked our server – who was obligatorily polite - to talk to the manager. The manager came out and without any real feeling or compassion (you can tell when someone knows they should say “I am sorry” and when they really mean it...) the kitchen doesn’t have white chocolate prepared tonight so ... basically too bad... you have to have brown chocolate. So a business who makes a living serving chocolate with an hours’ notice can’t make a serving of white chocolate for a customer who has spent a minimum of $3,000 with them....

Ok... my screw up for making a reservation on a day where they was no option for customer service ..... just seat as many people as possible …

At the end of dinner the waiter who’s behavior was as feeling as a wet dish towel the whole night (probably because I asked to talk to a manager in the beginning) gives us a coupon to return to "get my white chocolate". I hadn’t asked for it but ok fine. But I always find it funny that a restaurant who is trying to make up for substandard customer service gives a coupon to return for less money... to probably get substandard service again... whatever....

So as we are leaving the host asks us how things were tonight. My husband says fine other than we had hoped to have white chocolate. He wasn’t complaining...just giving an honest answer to a question most people just answer " fine" to.... Now I am waiting for my husband to pick me up with the car. I am waiting in the hallway behind two doors but I can still see and hear what is going on in the desk lobby. As I am standing there I can hear the manager in the orange shirt, the desk host and our waiter mocking me and my husband for being upset about not being able to have chocolate we could both eat... They sarcastically say we should have been grateful to get a coupon and if was our fault for making reservations for that night.... not only did they publicly mock me they did it while I was 5 feet away and heard their unprofessional behavior representing the company. When the orange shirted manager and host catch eye contact with me they quickly walked away leaving our waiter (who we stupidly tipped 25%) to justify their mockery. I am so sorry to have supported the business for the last ten years and will certainly find another high priced restaurant who will not mock their customers.

6  Thank LakeGenevaBoatGirl
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is a great place if you want to spend time socializing with your guests and having dinner be the event of the night instead of just a supplement. If this is your first time going here or those you are with, I would suggest the popular four-course meal. It is pretty easy to navigate that menu over the a la carte one and gets you 3 different types of fondues. Beware that you can easily spend between two to three hours from walking in to walking out. If you don't have that kind of time, you're likely to get frustrated with the experience, rather than enjoy it. Also, make sure you are going with people that you wouldn't mind spending that much time with in one sitting.

The food is great. Unless you have dietary concerns, there really isn't a bad dish. The cheese and dessert fondues are dipping fondues, while the main meat course will actually have you cooking your food piece by piece. If you are comfortable with those around you, I recommend everyone getting a different main entree and sharing between them. They are cut up into enough pieces to be able to do this easily and then you really don't have to think very hard on what meats you are missing out on if you choose the other dish.

The only reason I dropped to a four rating was because of the price. The atmosphere is great, the food is great, and the experience is fun and unique, but even without alcohol on the bill you can expect to spend around $50 per person. This is definitely a special occasion sort of place and not an every other week ordeal.

1  Thank Chris B
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Went because we bought a living social deal. Food was ok, NOTHING special. Went to the bathroom & saw a MOUSE soon as I opened the door (didn't use the bathroom). Informed the manager & he said they can't help it because it was cold outside & basically made me feel stupid for saying anything about a MOUSE. I didn't ask for any compensation & was surprised when the bill came & NOTHING was done. I guess mice are no big deal to them, must happen all of the time. Will NOT be back!!!!!!!

3  Thank BrendieB
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Bought a Living Social deal for dinner for 2. Went on a Sunday night, early, with a reservation. Ordered drinks, took over 15 minutes to get the cocktail and beer brought to our table (brought out by manager). The cheese fondue was decent (we did the WI trio), but the bread and veggies to dip did not seem all that fresh. The salad had a ton of dressing on it (very salty). Our deal also included the main course - meats, lobster and shrimp fondue. We chose the broth base to cook it in that had wine in it. Really strong, not great flavor. Again, really lacked freshness. The meats appeared to have been cut hours earlier, not great color either. As we were eating our waiter came over to ask us if we'd like to make a donation to a cancer fund.... the timing was inapporpriate. We skipped dessert. At check out, we were also asked if we'd like to purchase any retail items. I think the Melting Pot needs to reaccess the overall dining experience they are providing for their clients. The experience and food were not good enough to make us want to visit again.

Been to The Melting Pot? Share your experiences!