“Dinner as an experience”
Review of The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #71 of 166 Restaurants in Brookfield
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Dinner as an experience”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is a great place if you want to spend time socializing with your guests and having dinner be the event of the night instead of just a supplement. If this is your first time going here or those you are with, I would suggest the popular four-course meal. It is pretty easy to navigate that menu over the a la carte one and gets you 3 different types of fondues. Beware that you can easily spend between two to three hours from walking in to walking out. If you don't have that kind of time, you're likely to get frustrated with the experience, rather than enjoy it. Also, make sure you are going with people that you wouldn't mind spending that much time with in one sitting.

The food is great. Unless you have dietary concerns, there really isn't a bad dish. The cheese and dessert fondues are dipping fondues, while the main meat course will actually have you cooking your food piece by piece. If you are comfortable with those around you, I recommend everyone getting a different main entree and sharing between them. They are cut up into enough pieces to be able to do this easily and then you really don't have to think very hard on what meats you are missing out on if you choose the other dish.

The only reason I dropped to a four rating was because of the price. The atmosphere is great, the food is great, and the experience is fun and unique, but even without alcohol on the bill you can expect to spend around $50 per person. This is definitely a special occasion sort of place and not an every other week ordeal.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Chris B

Kenosha, Wisconsin
“Dinner with a Rodent”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Went because we bought a living social deal. Food was ok, NOTHING special. Went to the bathroom & saw a MOUSE soon as I opened the door (didn't use the bathroom). Informed the manager & he said they can't help it because it was cold outside & basically made me feel stupid for saying anything about a MOUSE. I didn't ask for any compensation & was surprised when the bill came & NOTHING was done. I guess mice are no big deal to them, must happen all of the time. Will NOT be back!!!!!!!

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank BrendieB
“Lacked Freshness”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Bought a Living Social deal for dinner for 2. Went on a Sunday night, early, with a reservation. Ordered drinks, took over 15 minutes to get the cocktail and beer brought to our table (brought out by manager). The cheese fondue was decent (we did the WI trio), but the bread and veggies to dip did not seem all that fresh. The salad had a ton of dressing on it (very salty). Our deal also included the main course - meats, lobster and shrimp fondue. We chose the broth base to cook it in that had wine in it. Really strong, not great flavor. Again, really lacked freshness. The meats appeared to have been cut hours earlier, not great color either. As we were eating our waiter came over to ask us if we'd like to make a donation to a cancer fund.... the timing was inapporpriate. We skipped dessert. At check out, we were also asked if we'd like to purchase any retail items. I think the Melting Pot needs to reaccess the overall dining experience they are providing for their clients. The experience and food were not good enough to make us want to visit again.

• Visited November 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“A Unique Experience But VERY Expensive”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

If I could rate this several ways, I would. The experience was really neat. The food was very good but the price was over the top for what you got. The cheese fondue was very good and it was fund to watch it being made at our table. There were a few raw veggies (I would have preferred them cooked), a green apple (not my favorite with cheese) and a lot of bread. The bread was very good but I did not want to fill up on bread. The salads were very good and we all (4 of us) enjoyed them. The meal we had included a small bowl of potato chunks and some nice mushrooms (for 4 people). The meat plate had steak, teiryaki steak, chicken, shrimp and a small lobster tail. I should have had more bread...this was in no way enough for 2 people. They should have a stop watch at the table, they tell you how long to cook everything but who wants to spend the evening looking at your watch? We paid extra for a special broth but I am not sure it really made a difference. The lobster was a waste. Cooking it in broth made it totally loose the lobster taste. Since we were all still hungry we ordered desert. The chocolate fondue was really good! I thought the price was fair for this course. We all enjoyed the experience very much, the food was good the bill was a killer (over $250 including tip). We all went home and had a snack!

• Visited October 2013
Brookfield, Wisconsin
“Dessert only please!”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I just recently dined there for my birthday, having been there before quite some time ago, I was very excited. The whole experience is a great idea, however the food was not quite what I had expected. Even the salad, my boyfriend ordered the Ceaser salad and it didn't even come with romaine lettuce, it came with iceburg. We both agreed that the lettuce tasted as though it had not been washed, which was very unpleasant! (Vegetarians beware, there are not a whole lot of options! The ravioli falls apart in the actual pot and is not even good)

My boyfriend and I had chosen the four course meal and the only part we would ever come back for, would be the dessert.

It was a sad disappointment, especially being my birthday dinner. But there are plenty of other great restaurants in the area that I would definitely recommend spending your hard earned money on, other than The Melting Pot.

• Visited September 2013