“Fabulous food!”
Review of Hom - CLOSED

Hom
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Hōm, celebrates simple farm-to-table cuisine and the growers and producers in our community who share the same passion for pairing locally farmed ingredients with dramatic flavors. From bright and crispy to smoky and earthy, the tastes at Hōm draw inspiration from Wisconsin farmers markets, small growers, ranchers and local fishermen. In addition, the unique partnership between SURG Restaurant Group’s own Mike Polaski and his Hidden Creek Farms, located in New London, WI, is one more way Hōm can assure its diners the highest quality beef, pork and produce from pasture to presentation. “Locavores,” i.e. Wisconsin home-grown enthusiasts, micro-brew aficionados and anyone willing to catch a bit of Wisconsin sports fever for the evening are invited for a real, honest meal with a touch of elegance, in true SURG tradition. Welcome to Wisconsin. Welcome Hōm.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Fabulous food!”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Thoughtful menu choices and great local sourcing. One of our favorite restaurants. The steaks compare favorably with nationally known places.

• Visited November 2013

Hidden Valley Lake, California
“Come on Man”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We drove across the parking lot after a terrible lack of service at the Indian place at the strip mall next door - we needed a quick meal before the Packer game. Greg the bartender was super attentive and we all agreed that poor service is unacceptable. Ordered beers and 2 appetizers, salad and burger, medium rare - the shrimp and grits were steaming hot, perfectly cooked and delicious with tomato, sausage and spinach as well as fresh corn incorporated into the grits. The gnocchi could have been boiled a bit longer before pan fried, but they were tasty and the spinach and chunks of garlic were fantastic with the shards of parm and yummy sauce. The beet salad was excellent and well dressed. The burger looked great, but when my husband cut it in half and cut a piece off the edge for me to try, I could see it was red - it was completely raw - on the edge!! I opened up the cut burger and showed Greg and pattied up my own burger out of the raw center. He was apalled and took it back to the kitchen. 15 minutes later......a smaller burger came out in exactly the same condition. I have been a chef for over 25 years and all you need is a thermometer to temp perfectly the way the customer wants. I took the burger up to Greg at the bar and pattied up another burger out of the center of the cut burger and he went and got the assistant gm. The assistant gm looked at the patty I had made of the raw meat and agreed that he should do something - which was to offer us another burger! We refused and he walked away. Greg then told us he was the bar manager and comped the whole meal. I wanted to pay for the good parts but he refused. He is a class act and the only reason this place gets a 2 is because of him. If you can't cook a hand pattied burger, buy a pre-pattied burger. If you don't own a thermometer, you can't be in business.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank ks714
Brookfield, Wisconsin
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

The restaurant recently changed its name from Eight Twelve to Hom. Ryan Braun and Aaron Rogers were associated with the restaurant and when Ryan fell from grace, they dropped him and changed the name. They indicate that it is the same menu, however, some of our favorite things on the original menu are no longer there. One being the delicious baked beans they used to have as a side dish. We recently went there as a family with my three grown daughters, their husbands, my husband and myself. This was supposed to be a couples nite out to catch up since we don't get together that often without small children around. The noise level was so high with large parties around us that we could not carry on a conversation. My husband ordered a stuffed pepper which was supposed to be a special that day. He is not a fussy eater but said it was awful. It was stuffed with more peppers. I had the beer battered fish fry and after I cut off most of the very thick batter, was left with a very small 5 or six bites of fish. The fish fry was $25 and came with potatoes (choice of fries or mashed). We found the restaurant a big disappointment especially since we live two block from there and used to eat there often. Although the restaurant was crowded, I can't believe we were the only ones to experience the disappointment. In addition, the service was mediocre to say the least however they do add a 20% gratuity to parties over seven so guess she felt she did not have to give us great service to get her tip.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank momsshopping123
Milwaukee, WI
“Overpriced, unexceptional”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I went here with my wife. You will find the experience similar to the 8-12 (which recently changed names but not much else has changed).
The prices are all too high, and the portions are all very small, and apparently watched with great detail. It seemed that the contents and selections were chosen to avoid costly ingredients, although the entree prices certainly did not reflect that decision.
To start, we had a special steak appetizer which was excellent. The soup choices were French Onion, which my wife had and enjoyed, and corn chowder (a soup I just don't understand). I had the chopped salad which I ordered without Bleu cheese. It came with Bleu Cheese anyway. So they brought me a new one. Fresh and delicious, after correcting the waiter mistake.
The service was friendly, but a bit nervous, as if there were some internal issues going on. They didnt seem at ease with things for some reason, and the errors showed that.
I ordered a special pasta dish with red cream sauce, vegetables shrimp, and lump lobster. It was mostly pasta. The consistency of the fresh pasta was perfect, but the sauce was bland and tasteless. Worse, there was literally one small piece of shrimp (about a fourth of one shrimp), and maybe 5 small pieces of lobster totaling to less than an once. It was bizarre.
I complained, and they agreed that seemed unusual, and comp'ed me an Ale, and my wife a dessert. The pumpkin Creme Brulee for dessert was great.
My wife had the short ribs which were tasty although a little bit dry.
They were apologetic about the entree' and showed it, but the statement was made.
In our opinion, there is really nothing exceptional about the place, overall. The prices originally were due to the 8-12 sports affiliation. Without that brand, we found they lacked identity, and really could not justify the high prices.
With some work and some attention to the little things (pricing, portion size, communication between staff and customers and kitchen), this could be a nice restaurant to call "HOM"... for right now, nothing really to recommend at this time.

• Visited October 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
“New Name: HOM but same great food.”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stopped by Saturday during the Badger game; they had game day specials. We had an order of beer battered cheese curds for $6; Burger topped with caramelized onions and bacon bites on a pretzel bun - homemade chips - and a beer for $10. The cheese curds were plentiful and a good deal - came with 2 dipping sauces, ranch and a sweet horseradish sauce. The service is good - the only change is the elimination of the pics of Rodgers and Braun in the bar area. HOM is the new name - they still value farm to plate quality.

• Visited September 2013