“Fun Place, Sports Bar and Bacon”

Saloon on Calhoun with Bacon
Ranked #108 of 164 Restaurants in Brookfield
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Friendly, warm environment. Hard to find location, tucked away in the US Bank parking lot on the NE corner of Calhoun and Capitol. Worth finding!
Wisconsin
“Fun Place, Sports Bar and Bacon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

Our friends suggested meeting here because they saw this place featuring Bacon on the Food Channel. It's a bit difficult to find -- in the basement of another building, but is roomy with lots of TVs airing basketball games when we visited.

The menu is fun. Our food took a long time to arrive, but was worth the wait. Our friend's onion strings were some of the best he ever had. The sweet potato fries were great. Didn't love the marshmellow cream served with them (too sweet), but cute idea. They should offer ranch dressing as an option. Our friend ordered the grilled cheese and bacon sandwich. It looked amazing. I will try the next time. My reuben was good though. Our bill had a mistake on it, but the waitress quickly fixed it.

They have DJs on Fridays, live bands on Saturdays and the location although difficult to spot is very convenient just off of Capitol and Calhoun.

Give it a try. I think you'll have fun!

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Travelenlightened
Dave D, Owner at Saloon on Calhoun with Bacon, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for your nice comments. Our service has improved since you wrote this review.

Milwaukee
“No service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Went to this establishment at 6:00pm on a Monday night. All the stools at the bar were full so I took my jacket off and sat at one of the 12 or so tables away from the bar. Only 2 or 3 other tables were occupied. Looked over the menu for about 5 minutes looking around to see if there was a wait staff or if I had to order from the bar. 2 employees were sitting at another table rolling napkins and talking. They saw me but didn't say anything. Went and stood behind the full bar with my money out to by a drink waiting for service while 2 bartenders talked with each other behind the bar. After a couple of minutes of no response I put on my jacket and left. I guess that will be the last time I go there.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank termanth
This is horrifying! No excuse for the bad service. It is something that we take very seriously. We have had a turnover in our staff and the standards are easier to enforce with staff that cares. For a while we were just trying to get enough staff to keep up with increasing demand. Some of that staff did not last. Our staff now is attentive, friendly, and focused on patrons needs. I would ask you to give us another try, and see if the results you had the first time have been corrected. Ask for me and reference this review. I will be happy to get your first (or second) drink for the way you were not served the first time you came out. Thank you for your review. It does matter to us. ~ Dave
Milwaukee
“Typical Bar Food -- Bad Wings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

My husband and I recently stopped at this establishment because they have a catchy name and it includes Bacon. We ordered a sampler appetizer platter which was pretty good. They also had a 50 cent wing special. It seemed to take forever to get our food. When the wings came, they looked under cooked. Some pieces were warm, not hot. The skin of the wings were still rubbery and difficult to eat. I ended up pulling the skin off the pieces I ate to get to the meat. I also tried to break the wing apart and couldn't. I think I ate a total of 2 wings and then quit. The different seasonings were just ok too. We did not get anything that was compelling for us to go back again. And if we do, we would certainly avoid the wings!

• Visited July 2012
I don't know if you have been back or not. I would encourage you to not give up on our wings. You came out to try them during a very bad season for wings. I know that sounds like an excuse, but it really was a bad summer for chickens. That being said, our wing sauces are typically raved about, and our Monday WING NIGHT special now offers unique gourmet wing sauces created new each and every week for the wing connoisseur! Thank you for your review. Sorry it was a bad experience.