“A pleasant surprise”

Parkside 23
Ranked #3 of 167 Restaurants in Brookfield
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Listed in the Milwaukee Magazine November 2011 Dining guide; reviewed in the July 2011 issue.
Reviewed September 19, 2013

My sister and I picked Parkside 23 for lunch only because it was on our way to our destination.
It was on the pricey side for lunch, each of our entrees were around $16.00, but the food was excellent. It was a beautiful fall day and we had a table on the patio. I had the Amish chicken which was served with garlic mashed potatoes and greens. My sister had the barbeque ribs which were served with the garlic mashed potatoes and vegetables. We agreed that we both made good choices. We would definitely return to Parkside 23.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We went out for dinner with two adults and two teenagers. I had the pork osso bucco which was fabulous. The meat fell off the bone and the sides were excellent. My son ordered chicken on his caesar salad and the meat alone was a full meal. My daughter had the burger which was very good also. My husband had the perch special and the sauce on the perch was exceptional. The beer flights are a nice addition to the bar menu and we had The Starter. All the food was very fresh. I do agree with another review that the restaurant was a bit loud (even though not full). I also found the lighting to be a bit low and overall seemed dark.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

This restaurant is amazing. The food was great, probably the best salmon I've ever had. Our server was attentive. The atmosphere was very nice. They grow their own vegetables in a garden on site. My husband and I never got to look at the bill because our family covered it, but I'm sure it was not cheap.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Had lunch today. A friend & I both ordered the roasted red pepper bisque & chicken salad sandwich (today's special).

A little surprised that no bread or crackers were offered. Just when we were about to ask for some, our sandwiches arrived. My friend's chicken salad was filled with delicious cherry pieces, while I had none in mine. Side by side, they looked like two different entrees.

Server was pleasant, but never asked to refill our coffee. My first visit, so was excited about coming back with spouse, but now not so sure. We left $40 for two lunches, with tea & soda.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Visited Parkside23 with a companion for lunch recently. The interior is very nice, though a bit loud (and the restaurant was not full). For some reason I was surprised that about 2/3 of the dining room on this visit was senior citizens. It's not a knock, I'm definitely not a spring chicken myself. I just would not have pegged this place to appeal to that demographic. Service was good, and the food was enjoyable. The mushroom flatbread shared as a starter was my favorite. My only food complaint was that my dish (short rib tacos) did not indicate on the menu that it was served with a side of a mixed bean and corn salad. It was a large portion for an accompaniment and from the taste of a corn kernel would have been very tasty. However, I do not eat legume beans and never would have ordered the tacos (or I would have asked for a different side) if I'd known. The daily fish special was also delicious. We liked the menu divided into three price categories instead of food categories, so we didn't feel hemmed in by any menu rules (i.e, what is an entrée and what is a starter). Lunch for two with iced teas was about $50 pre-tip.

Been to Parkside 23? Share your experiences!