“Watch out when there is a reception”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milwaukee - Brookfield
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Brookfield
california, usa
“Watch out when there is a reception”
Reviewed May 20, 2010

I stayed twice within the same week at this Hilton Doubletree property -- what a difference in the day of the week when one stays!

The first time I got a room mid-week on the third floor facing the south side of the hotel. The hotel was full of what looked to me to be business guest. The hotel was generally quiet, except for being able to hear people in the hallway (more on this latter) as another reviewer has already mentioned. The room itself seemed to be recently updated -- for example I noticed that the HVAC is one of those types of units that are mounted in the wall and that this particular unit was controlled by a wall mounted thermostat. Next morning I was surprised to find-out that the breakfast buffet was not included with the charge for the room --- went down Bluemond Road to the Pancake House instead.

The second time I got a room on the weekend on the third floor facing the "courtyard" on the north side of the hotel. The hotel was hosting a wedding reception and the hotel was full of families with either young adults and/or teenagers. These guests were in a festive mood -- so festive that they were running up and down the hallway and talking in a loud voice (too much champagne perhaps?). The reception area is attached to the hotel in such a way that one either has to circle around the hotel in order to get to the north side or enter though an outside side door and then though the fire escape door so as to not intrude on the function. The HVAC in this room was controlled via switches on the unit itself -- the thermostat was on the wall but was not connected to the HVAC -- generally this room appeared to be older than the first room I stayed in.

Something that I found curious was when I asked the front desk how long does it take to drive to MKE airport during the morning rush period the person said that she did not know -- a hotel marketed towards business clients and the front desk person does not know? Tsk-tsk!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Blaine, Minnesota
Reviewed April 30, 2010

Fabulous staff & awesome cookies! Our room was immaculate, and other guests were quiet and respectful. Quite the change from other Milwaukee hotel experiences we have had. We hope to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
Reviewed February 12, 2010

I stayed here for several days while in Milwaukee on business. This hotel has gone through at least one brand change that I know of, which may account for the lack of a full-service restaurant. My room was quite nice and very comfortable, but the bathroom had a look as if it had been remodeled in haste; the tub and enclosure was in a different color scheme and style from the rest of the bathroom. The breakfast buffet was good, but did not have as many items as expected from experience with other Doubletree properties. Howver, the overall value was very good becuase the room rate was less than I am used to paying at Doubletree.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Milwaukee
Reviewed October 10, 2009

I was able to get a last minute room on Priceline for $50. We live nearby but had a household emergency and needed to sleep elsewhere for one night. I had trouble with the door lock and had to walk to the front desk 4 times to get back in. Not t a probelm except that our room was the furthest distance possible from the front desk and I was walking with a reluctant 2 year old. My other issue was that the pool was Freezing!! Even the jacuzzi was too cold to sit in and running the jets made it worse. I looked at the map of thew hotel on the back of the door and noticed that we had the smallest size room in the hotel. We did not have a couch but did have a fridge and microwave. I wondered if they give the least desirable rooms to those who booked on Priceline. I was also told that they did not hae anything but a king size bed, hard to beleive for a business hotel on a weekend. I sort of felt like we were treated like second class customers- we were not offered any of the coupons that others mentioned either. I brought my computer with me to do work, but decided not to when I saw the $10 internet charge. Most nice hotels offer that free now. The room was attractive and the bed was very comfortable. Halls were noisy with wedding guests, but that did not bother me as much as some guests might be bothered by them. The bathroom was also very nice. My main issues were the too cold to tolerate pool, the lack of concern about our door lock, and the tiny room with out the perks that otehr non-priceline guests were given.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Tisambas
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 29, 2009

When I think of Doubletree, I think of a 7+story building with an atrium in the center and the rooms all facing the atrium. This was not that Doubletree. It was a 3-story place that looked and felt that it had been a Hampton Inn or Homewood Suites or something like that and got rebranded as a Doubletree. The rooms were fine, but the walls were not thick enough. As I was getting ready in the morning (around 7 a.m.), I could clearly make out every word of the morning news show my next-door neighbor was watching. I could also clearly hear staff talking in the hallway and even thought they were knocking on my door when they were actually at someone else's. I'm not sure any of this would have woken me up, though. (I sleep with a white noise machine and a towel shoved under the gap in the door.)
The staff at the front desk were great. The free breakfast buffet was fine, but the service was pretty poor -- a lot of ignoring and you wondering if anyone was going to come back to give you more water or coffee.
I definitely won't stay there again, but it's a decent place if it's convenient for you and at the right price.
On a positive note, my colleague and I were able to make dozens of free copies in the business center.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Olivia99
Minnesota
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Stayed one night at the Doubletree on the way through town.

Location: Our GPS couldn't figure out the exact location so we drove past the hotel and had to turn around. The hotel's website has better directions. A few restaurants nearby, but nothing much within walking distance.

Service: We weren't greeted very warmly upon checking in. The people working at the front desk were having a conversation when we approached and continued for a few more minutes before assisting us. Not a huge deal, but I was happier once I got my cookie!

Room: The room didn't have great lighting and the temperature controls were a little off, but no major issues. The room was clean and smelled nice.

Pool area: The absolute smallest hot tub I have ever seen in a hotel anywhere. It was crowded with three people in it. And you have to sit in a single file line so it is not very conducive to conversation. The towels provided are the size of dishtowels so make sure to grab a couple to dry off.

Overall: Everything was just fine and we got what we expected for a Doubletree. I'm glad I got a discounted hotwire rate. If I had paid full price, my review would have been 2 or 3 stars at best.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed July 16, 2009

This is my third stay at the Doubletree Hotel Milwaukee/Brookfield and I will surely return. I love that they are convenient to downtown Milwaukee but far enough away that you pay a portion of the price, don't have to pay for parking, and have a great (if not better) selection of restaurants and shops. I've always been greeted warmly and with an amazing cookie. We are always promptly checked in and given directions to our room. On our last stay they let us pick our room (they had low occupancy though) and they even provided us with bottled waters and a fridge for being repeat customers. We've stayed in downtown a couple of times for business but I much prefer the Doubletree in Brookfield for the rooms. The rooms are much better then other 4 and 5 star hotels we've visited. They are nice and roomy, have great modern furnishings, a nice TV, and are enjoyable. We've also used the pool, hot tub, and exercise room which are nice and up to date. We have never had a problem with anyone being unfriendly and have over all enjoyed our stays. It's also very nice staying in a beautiful community with great shops and restaurants. We'll be back!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookfield
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Milwaukee West (Brookfield)
Hampton Inn Brookfield
Hampton Inn Brookfield
#1 of 13 in Brookfield
Courtyard Milwaukee Brookfield
Embassy Suites by Hilton Milwaukee Brookfield
Sheraton Milwaukee Brookfield Hotel
Home2 Suites by Hilton Milwaukee Brookfield

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milwaukee - Brookfield? Share your experiences!