“16 miles one-way” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of North Star Mohican Casino Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bowler
North Star Mohican Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bowler
Eagan, MN
“16 miles one-way”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Decided to try the North Star because of a decent room rate. 16 miles north of 29 - in the middle of a rural area, but the lodging was worth the scenic drive. Very nice room, quiet and clean. Slept well - decor and lighting were fine. Only one elevator, though.

The restaurant was a bit of a disappointment for selection, but the food was good and the prices reasonable. Service was slow (not the waitress' fault) from the kitchen. No buffet the Sunday night we were there.

Joined their Player's Club to reduce our room rate, and also got some Promotional Play money since it was both an Anniversary and Birthday month. Casino rules were not explained at sign-up, so we ended up leaving most of it in the machines without gambling it away. Received a "sorry about that" response when we inquired. On the plus side, did come away when all was said and done with $12.05 "profit". At least they had a small non-smoking area for slots.

Will we return? 32 miles round trip makes me think not. Maybe better for someone more into gambling.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank MNtrout

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Me an my wife went to northstar July 3 we rented a room the room was so dirty went to the desk to tell them an they did not do any thing we will never stay at the casino...but the good thing the north star is a good casino just not the hotel

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank mikeerdman
Gresham, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I have not stayed at the hotel but frequent the casino and restaurants often. We live in the country just a few miles away so the casino is handy for a nice meal or a quick bite without having to drive many miles to a town. We are members of their rewards club - but that that does not say much. We frequent Vegas quite often and you can't really compare what you get in Vegas as far as a players club and comps to a local casino. It took a long time to get get to the next level but once achieved, I did not see any perks except one free hotel night during the week...
PROS:
The casino has a nice main restaurant- we not buffet eaters - but we do like the general menu and it is very reasonably priced for good food (i.e. cheap!) - you'd pay more at McDonalds for a beverage/fries/sandwich without supersizing! The Sunday breakfasts are excellent! And they have great specials throughout the week - $5.00 chicken buffet night, $2.00 burger night (5 oz burger with chips), $.25 wing night, etc. + $1.00 or $2.00 domestic beers - can't beat those prices and food is usually good (with an occasional off night - but who complains at those prices). There are two bars - we like the Groove bar where you can get food - servers/bartenders are all really friendly and fun! There is also a small coffee shop in the hotel and a fast food area in the casino.
We really ike the variety of bands at the Groove on Fridays/Saturdays and many of them are very good! We head there often just to eat and/or listen to the bands...but I do get a little gambling in now and then!
The casino is large (about 1200 slots), very clean, and modern; it has a nice atmosphere - and the casino itself is less smokey as other local casinos. The hotel is attached, recently expanded, and also clean and modern - so I assume the rooms are nice as well.
CONS: Poker is off and on...doesn't seem to be really supported by the casino.
I tried bingo there once (took my niece who loves bingo) but couldn't stand the smoke - and I mean smoke! There literally was a thick haze and everyone around us smoked...there was no no-smoking section. Next time she visits, we're heading to another local casino for bingo which does have better ventilation and a no smoking section.
Enjoy your time at North Star!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PattySlots
Bayfield, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights May 8-9, 2013 (2 rooms). Let me begin by saying that I have a number of complex neurological problems from a brain stem injury, parkinson's etc. I travel with my service dog who helps me and also alerts if I start having seizures. I made my reservations one month in advance and inquired if there were certain rooms and/or a deposit for the dog. The young lady didn't know the hotel policy but soon enough her supervisor was on the phone assuring me all was okay. I reconfirmed two days before arrival and things were still good to go. Upon check-in, there was no notation about my service animal and was told by two front desk employees that dogs were not allowed. No Way---Ah! I finally had the manager on duty come to my rescue and myself and my helper and my brother with his girlfriend checked-in. (Please realize we traveled close to 250 miles to come here). Jump ahead to the next morning and my helper took my dog outside for a walk and potty break while I took a shower. Well, they no more got back to the room (I was drying off) when I heard big knocks at the door. The hotel manager and security were there and while I didn't catch all of the conversation, from what I could hear he did sound somewhat condescending. "You will have to leave this hotel now", "we don't allow dogs here", "does he have papers", "can you prove he's a service animal?", "who did you speak to", "you didn't talk to me". Holy cow this guy was serious as a heart attack, appeared offended about my dog and quite frankly acted as though we were trying to pull the wool over his eyes. After providing copies of (Coco) my dog's papers we sure didn't get an apology or even have the staff be contrite because I really thought we were going to get kicked out. I just find it hard to believe that North Star doesn't have some kind of controls in place or training for their hotel employees in this kind of situation or that I have been the only one with a service animal on their premises. At check-out I was informed that my info is on file ([again] they seem to have lost my past info) and that I wouldn't have a problem in the future, unfortunately when we come back down our party has agreed to go the extra 15 miles to Menominee Casino Resort in Keshena.

Room Tip: Most rooms are 2Q or 1K/Suites are on all building corners. Rooms on north side overlook casino roo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank farrow73
Hortonville, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Very nice rooms, great restaurant. Bands every weekend. We went here to go for a snowmobiling overnight, plenty to do when you are there. We are not big gamblers, but with the couple bars and entertainment, we had plenty to choose from. Everyone was very friendly. I was even able to get a room with only one week in advance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Christine M
Mosinee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

I love North Star's hotel. Very clean, friendly staff, and very comfortable beds. They have a nice parking ramp to park your car or a separate parking lot for the hotel guests. Food in the casino is great. The buffet as well as the little café with their 1lb shrimp Nummers. Love the staff in the casino as well, they are all very friendly people and always out to make you smile. SPA is great as well

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank queenofbatting
Jackson, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Just returned from an overnite at North Star Mohican Casino Resort and had an awesome time. Rooms are great spacious and have an awesome TV hanging on the wall. Hotel is quiet and people at the front desk are great. Casino is very clean and slots are the same as everywhere but staff is very very nice. Great food, had fantastic breakfast with great price. Can't wait to return. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank bobcatsmom0617
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowler
Konkapot Lodge
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 5 in Shawano
Shawano Four Seasons Resort

Been to North Star Mohican Casino Resort? Share your experiences!