“caves”
Review of Cave of the Mounds

Cave of the Mounds
More attraction details
Owner description: The most beautiful cave in Wisconsin and the upper Midwest, Cave of the Mounds lies just off U.S. Highways 18/151 in Blue Mounds, WI. The United States Department of the Interior and the National Park Service designated Cave of the Mounds a National Natural Landmark because the site possesses "exceptional value as an illustration of the nation's natural heritage and contributes to a better understanding of man's environment". Curious tourists and budding cave enthusiasts have been enjoying an introduction to caving in the midwest for years while visiting Cave of the Mounds. Commonly referred to as the "jewel box" of America's major caves for the variety and delicacy of its formations, Cave of the Mounds is recognized by the Chicago Academy of Sciences as "the significant cave of the upper Midwest".
Reviewed January 25, 2013

It was an experience. What a great place, fascinating and interesting for all ages. We took our kids along and even they did not get bored - that's a good thing!

1  Thank swiffy_new
Caves_Rock, Guest Relations Manager at Cave of the Mounds, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

We could not have said it better ourselves. Thanks for visiting and come again!

There are newer reviews for Cave of the Mounds

Reviewed January 22, 2013

With the temps dipping into single digits, we decided instead of icefishing to tour the Cave of the mounds! My first visit here was back in 1979. Brought my daughter and her friend for their first time. What a gem in Wisconsin! Very cool story behind it's discovery and history! Our guide was great at pointing out all the cool things to see and very knowledgeable about the cave! Highly recommend it to anyone who loves caves!!

3  Thank Skimmer2065

Yes, we are open year ‘round. Cave of the Mounds is a great place to escape the cold (and a great place to cool off during the summer)! Thanks for re-discovering Cave of the Mounds after so many years and for bringing the kids so they could discover it for the first time.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I could not decide between a 2 and a 3. Cost was around $16.00 if you only bought the cave ticket, but it was part of a package deal I got that included House on the Rock. There were some very nice formations, some rather unusual, but the guide went so fast, I couldn't get the settings on my camera right before we had to move on. This made the experience somewhat less fascinating than it could have been. I didn't hate it, but it was no where near some of the other caverns I have visited and it did not leave a lasting impression.

Pros: Some unusual formations.

Cons: Bad lighting. I mean REALLY bad lighting.
Tour went too fast.
Too expensive for what you get.
Weird end where you turn around. While I didn't mind the "windows" that look into part of the cave, the walled off portion behind that felt like I was in a museum diorama, not a cave. Although that was the only place there was enough time to take pictures.

If you like caves (which I do), it might be worth one go through. I would never go a second time.

2  Thank Ghostwheel

Thank you for visiting Cave of the Mounds National Natural Landmark and thank you for your honest feedback. We regret that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations and that your experience with us seemed rushed. Our cave tour is designed to be 1-hour long. We continue to explore ways to meet the different needs of our visitors in the future, including an at-your-own-pace audio tour, different themed tours and maybe even a special photography tour. We sincerely hope that you will visit again, and that a cave savvy family like yours can add Cave of the Mounds to your list of favorites. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I love to visit caves... And have been to them all over the world. I absolutely loved this cave! While it isn't the biggest, it is definitely a beautiful, well-preserved cave with all the features of a larger cave. It is a 'closed cave' that was found while blasting limestone in a quarry. Plus, there are some brilliant and beautiful colors due to the minerals in the Wisconsin soil. Very clean and well run. They were upgrading their lighting system when we were down there, so we might have to go back just to see how much better it could be! Also, one of the highlights was a set of cave formations on display that you can actually touch before you go down into the cave. Great for kids!!

1  Thank jmissydj

We appreciate such a great review from such a well-traveled caver!

Reviewed December 23, 2012

This is a great learning atmosphere for children, without traveling to some distant state. It is right here in our virtual backyard. It is cool inside, so be sure to wear appropriate clothing.

We hope to see you again soon!