“Hit with an unexpected charge.”

Best Western Arrowhead Lodge & Suites
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Hit with an unexpected charge.”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I was very displeased to be charged $20 extra for a room with 2 queen beds. This is the first time this has ever happened to us in the more than seven years of using Priceline and the countless hotels we've stayed in. I asked to speak to a manager before checkout and was told the manager would not be back until the next day and there was no assistant manager.

The location is good. The kids liked the paddle boat you could rent. The fridge in the rooms was a nice size, but the carpets were old and fraying in places.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Arrowhead L, Front Office Manager at Best Western Arrowhead Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Scenicsights,
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed most of your stay with us.
I'm really sorry you were upset by our upgrade policy.Our hotel has a large array of room types and not all are available when booking through other parties, such as Priceline. The upgrade fee you were charged was due to the room you chose at check in, versus the room you had booked. Several other room upgrades were available at varying charges.
Unfortunately upgrades, especially free ones can never be guaranteed due to room type availability.
Again I apologize for any inconvenience or distress this caused. I really do hope you will choose to stay again with us sometime.

Laura R
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We pulled in here last minute, tired from driving. The front desk staff was friendly and explained everything we needed to know. The only king left was the suite and it is spacious. We didn't need all the room but the set up was great. It is clean!!!! I'm super picky and the sheets are crisp and clean. Our window opened and overlooked the pond. Very peaceful. The waitress in the lounge was so sweet and served us even though we got in late. The food, beds, wifi and cleanliness were awesome.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
mpls
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stay here once a year, each year it seems to get a little bit better.The rooms are not huge but set up very comfortable. Its clean , the beds are nice, the staff is always good. The breakfast is better than average. Parking is spacious.

Room Tip: The best rooms are the ones facing away from the freeway
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Milton, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I arrived late, midnight as I had worked a double shift during the day. Gerry, the night manager, was very pleasant! She upgraded me to an executive suite as they were full. I asked to get a glass of wine from the restaurant. Even though it was closed, the bartender was very kind to stop cleaning for a minute & pour me a glass! The room was spacious, too bad I couldn't enjoy it as I had to get up early and leave by 6:45am...The hotel is very close to the highway, so convenient to get off & on. The free breakfast included ham & scrambled eggs, yogurt & other things. It was a good experience! The hotel has a very old fashioned elevator...more of a "lift" I wasn't comfortable operating it, so the manager was willing to help me so I didn't have to carry my suitcase up the steps!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Karen B
Beloit, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I booked this hotel using Hotwire. One thing to consider when using Hotwire is that you will get the most economical (cheapest) room they offer, but even the room we ended up with was pleasing except it was a queen size bed and we are used to a king size bed at home.

The property itself is fully updated where it seems that no detail was overlooked. The rooms, lobby, and restaurant are all beautiful. The staff is friendly. The breakfast is not only included with the cost of the room, but it's a better free breakfast than I'm used to at most hotels. It consists of pastries, muffins, fresh waffles, tater tots, scrambled eggs (real ones, not the fake powdered cheap stuff), sausage links, juice, milk, cereal, toast, coffee, and yogurt.

The pool area contains a hot tub and pool, but beware that it is posted for adults only...not good if you have children wanting to use the pool. I also noticed wheel chair lifts for both the pool and hot tub, do that could helpful for those with disabilities that want access to the pool area.

Something of particular interest is that when you check in, they are very careful about advertising that each room as a safe and you will be billed an additional $1/day for the use of the safe, refundable upon checkout by simply asking for a refund. I suspect that theft from rooms may have been a problem in the past, but I personally witnessed nothing that would hint at this being a high crime area or ever felt that our personal safety was at risk. I felt 110% safe staying here and most of the other guests are harmless little old ladies visiting the in town casino.

All in all, this is a wonderful hotel and I highly recommend it.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mike Z
Antioch, IL
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This property has an old-fashioned feel to it. The rates are incredible, the rooms are cozy, if not a little small compared to other Best Westerns, but they are clean, the beds are comfortable and the Orange Moose Bar and Grill is a great place to eat, have a drink and meet new people.

I have stayed at this property three times now for business, but know I will make it a point to take a long wekend trip up there to relax. There is a casino minutes from the hotel and plenty of great country roads for motorcycle riding. In winter, there are miles and miles of trails for snowmobiling, which can be riden in summer on ATV.

This place is great for an inexpensive getaway!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Black River Falls
Comfort Inn & Suites Black River Falls
Comfort Inn & Suites Black River...
#2 of 6 in Black River Falls
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Tomah
Hampton Inn Tomah
Hampton Inn Tomah
#1 of 11 in Tomah

Been to Best Western Arrowhead Lodge & Suites? Share your experiences!