“Must Eat Here When in Black Earth”
Review of Luckenbooth Cafe - CLOSED

Luckenbooth Cafe
Cuisines: American, Irish, Scottish, British
“Must Eat Here When in Black Earth”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Ok, second time here; last time I attended an event and potluck so I didn't peruse the menu; this time I had lunch, a gluten free burger and fries - yum!! The bread was deliciously toasted without being dried out and the fries, well, rarely can I find them gluten free and they are my go-to comfort food- this was satisfying. The café is very clean, with a few tears in the upholstery, so it reminds me of some diners where I grew up; kitschy gingham curtains and all; I have to say that the chatter was pleasant and not gossip-y; service very pleasant and the place is clean, full of natural light. I had lunch and then doubled back to meet up with an acquaintance who was passing back through Black Earth; we shared a pot of tea and she had a cookie. I have longed for a "diner" experience that is gluten free - this fits the bill! The new bar was under construction and I haven't been back, but they have regular events for those who like evening socializing and eats as well.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Te R

Madison, WI
“2nd Visit Just as Good as the 1st!!”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Awesome, charming little hometown restaurant 20 miles west of Madison - totally worth the short road trip. I've never taken a food photo to share on social media until this one -- Chicken Tenders, melted Provolone and bacon on an amazing PRETZEL ROLL - WOW!!! With frieds and a soda for only $7.50. AND - they're very techonologically advanced - they take your order on an IPad and send your credit card receipt via email.

• Visited May 2014
Madison, Wisconsin
“Order dessert first!!”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We stopped here by chance while traveling through the area on a Friday evening, and had a delightful casual dinner! This is a charming, quirky, small town place, with the owners doing the cooking and also serving as staff. We were greeted very warmly by Yvonne, who not only took good care of us, but entertained us with stories of the evolution of the business.

We started with bruschetta; Yvonne and her husband Cliff had made the whole-grain bread and salsa earlier in the day. It was unusual, but delicious. We ordered pizza, which again was unusual (more cheddar than mozzarella, with chunks of link sausage), but somehow it worked!

We then took Yvonne up on her suggestion of bread pudding for dessert. HOLY MOLEY!! It was amazing! Served warm and crispy with ice cream, whipped cream and cherries. Thank goodness we shared it, or it would have been overwhelming. The creator of this masterpiece, Cliff, came out and told us about his other favorite desserts and breads. He also suggested that next time, we order the bread pudding first, then fill any remaining hunger from the rest of the menu. Excellent idea!

From what I gather, the Café is only open for dinner on the weekends, and specializes in breakfast and lunch. It's fun, unusual and imaginative food. What more could you ask in small town Wisconsin?

• Visited March 2014
Madison
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simplicity at it's best!!!!”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

20 miles west of Madison, WI on highway 14 turning on Mills Street by the Shoe Box in Black Earth, WI you will find the best hidden treasure you have experienced in a long time. The address is 1204 Mills St., Black Earth, WI. This is the best hidden treasure in dining I have found! I stumbled across this magnificent treasure of a small town café a short time ago. The atmosphere is friendly, the staff is great and the owners are always present and available to talk to. FOOD, now that is a mouth watering experience!! The prices are very reasonable for the amount of food you receive and the biggest plus is the down home feeling you get as you sit and enjoy your food in a relaxed being at home feeling. Everyone there whether they know you or not feels like you know them. Their hours are: Sunday through Wednesday 6:30 a.m. to 2:00p.m and Thursday, Friday and Saturday 6:30a.m. to 9:00p.m. See you there soon!!

• Visited January 2014
Richland Center, Wisconsin, United States
“You won't find this in the big city!”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

What a charming little gem! All the food is made from scratch. The locals that we sat near eat there every day- at least once! I had Sheppards Pie and it was wonderful. We also had pie for dessert.

• Visited December 2013