“Simply Charming”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Birchwood
Cobblestone Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 Birchwood B&B and Inns
DSM, IA
“Simply Charming”
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Cobblestone B&B is in a small town right out of "Doc Hollywood". One of the nights I was there, the local ice cream shop(across the street) had the fire pit burning, the wrap around deck full of chairs and a female barbershop group singing outside. It drew a nice size crowd, but I stayed with my pup on the Cobblestone's lovely front porch sipping local wine while listening to the small town charm!

Cobblestone itself offers fabulous rooms with interesting nooks and spacious bathrooms! Things are not cramped and feel quite private--always my worry with B&Bs--how much privacy?
As for Mary Lou--she is lovely! She will do anything for you and will try to fill any requests. I needed fresh veggies for my evening dinner--she was offering things from her garden galore! She has fabulous taste and the place is decorated wonderfully, but not cluttered. The bedroom decor is just right! Check out her gift shop too, the soy/beeswax candles are so wonderful!

Final note--if you want a lot of space and have your pup--ask for the lower level. You'll have your own entrance, a little kitchen, bathroom and nice living area. I didn't have to worry about wet paws or disturbing others for our late night outing. If you are a runner--head left from the Cobblestone (south I believe) down the country road toward the local cemetery. Nice, country run.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank cre8verunner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Wisconsin
Reviewed April 19, 2009

My wife and I enjoyed our little getaway. The bed was so comfortable I actually slept through the night. The next day Mary Lou was able to direct us to a few different places in Hayward. When we got back we found a lot of comfortable benchs and chairs in the yard to enjoy a spring day. My wife like the little gift shop, and in the evening Mary Lou let us borrow a Bob Dylan movie called "I'm not there" We look forward to heading up north to Mary Lou with very soon.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
madison wi
Reviewed March 8, 2009

By the time we left The Cobblestone Bed & Breakfast hide away at the Rice Lake Hayward area in Birchwood, Wisconsin we were hankering to go back. Why? Well, many reasons that are encompassed by the personable host Mary Lou with her beautiful and historical turn-of-the-century home.It was designed and built by Anthony Wise Sr., grandfather of the late Tony Wise, founder of the largest North American ski race, the American Birkebeiner .
But back to bed and breakfast and why The Cobblestone should be on your list of destination B&Bs even if you’re not planning to be in the area or to use it as a convenient stopover. For one thing Mary Lou is committed and it shows. Mary Lou turned these rooms into many dreamy, comfortable, clean, detailed pieces of art. We stayed in the “English Garden Suite”, the room included a king sized bed which was the most comfortable bed we ever slept in, a private bath, a 2 person whirlpool hot tub and a cozy adjoining spare room with two twin sized beds and crib with tons of soft safe toys and books. The Pièce de résistance was the fireplace! Not far is the little, quaint town of Hayward that had a grand selection of shops for any budget with eclectic or simple tastes. We spent this beautiful crisp autumn day shopping, dining out and seeing some historical landmarks, Retuning to the Cobblestone, our host Mary Lou made us feel more than at home and we headed for a nap with a blazing fireplace and a genuine overall feeling of peace!
Another compelling reason to come has to do with the ‘girl loves to cook’ part. Along with juice and coffee/tea your main course might be something like eggs Benedict or French toast but it probably won’t be predictable. For example, that French toast will be anything but generic; how does pineapple upside down French toast sound. Or blueberry streusel French toast? Other dishes are equally yummy; Mary Lou’s breakfasts were made with pure kindness and thought.
In back of the Cobblestone is a beautifully merchandised gift shop filled with anything for anyone with impeccable taste and prices more than reasonable.
So, as you can see, things fell into place quite perfectly and I attribute it all to the Cobblestone Bed & Breakfast where we will spend many more peaceful adventures!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
milwaukee
Reviewed November 20, 2008

I have just returned from the most relaxing two days that I have experienced in a very long time. I had never traveled to the northern part of Wisconsin. I was very tired when I reached my destination. Much to my surprise, I was met by the hostess as she helped me with my bag. I was shown to my room and it was extremely lovely, every thing was clean and in it's place. What attention to detail! I explored the rest of the house. It was like the homes you see in magazines. I did not want to leave it. I felt right at home. Everywhere you looked had something of interest. Every room was cozy and inviting. I was only planing to stay one night but felt I had to stay one more. It was quite and comfortable. Just what I was looking for. How could I not stay for another one of Mary Lou's incredible breakfasts! There was also a gift shop where I did some of my Christmas shopping. I will be going back to Cobblestone. I would love to see it in the spring . You have got to stay at the cobblestone at least once. Wow!

• Liked — Clean and comfortable. Great taste in decorating.
  • Disliked — I wish it was closer but it was worth the trip
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wisconsin
Reviewed November 19, 2008

This bed and breakfast is a treat for any traveler! We were given a tour of this wonderful home and every room was very unique and special. The common areas were very comfortable, our host was full of personality, the gift shop was amazing, and the bed was one of the most comfortable that we had ever slept in. We truly cannot say enough great things about Mary Lou and our stay at Cobblestone....we will definately be back!
Miss and Adam

• Liked — The beautiful home and Mary Lou, our host!
  • Disliked — Nothing...truly a fabulous stay!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birchwood
Best Western Inn
Curriers Lakeview Lodge
#3 of 8 in Rice Lake
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Rice Lake
AmeriVu Inn and Suites - Shell Lake

Been to Cobblestone Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!