“Unique quiet place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Birchwood
Stout's Island Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Birchwood B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Beautiful setting-yes, you're really on an island with no cars and associated noise. The resort's tag line is Let's Read-and it the perfect place for that. If you like big resorts with lots of people and "action" this is NOT the place for you. They don't even have locks on the doors, which reminded me of Bitter End Yacht Club on Virgin Gorda-anything that reminds me of the BVI is a good thing!
The restaurant was lovely-my husband and I split an appetizer and entree (cheese plate and trout with fingerling potatoes and greens) -they're fine with sharing.
Staff is very un-obstusive which made me feel like I was at a private home (which is what it used to be); somewhere Mr. and Mrs Stout are smiling!

Room Tip: We stayed in what used to be the servant's quarters-very nice (and the lowest price rooms they h...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Island_of_Happy_Days, Manager at Stout's Island Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Dear Gracie99,

Thank you so much for your kind words! Your feedback and comments are fully appreciated. We love that Stout's reminded you of BVI! As for Mr. and Mrs. Stout smiling down on us--we certainly hope so! That is such a sweet thing to say. We hope future guests take what you have said to heart, and hope to see you again soon!

Stout's Island Management Team

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I loved this place. I want to invite around 10 of my friends and take over one of the houses. I think this was a very unique experience and great for kids, adults, etc. I loved the variety of activities; the menu needs to be changed a little adding something like cheeseburgers because the menu is currently too upscale for the location. The staff is super nice and they make everyone feel at home.

Dear Eleanor43323,

Thank you for your review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your experience with us and would welcome the opportunity to have you "take over" one of our cabins! For ten friends, I would recommend Katherine's cabin or Harry's cabin. Let us know if you would like to organize something. We completely agree with your statement about the dinner menu; in fact, we did just that. We now have the Bruschetta Burger (with mozzarella and Bruschetta toppings). I hope you have the chance to try it!

Thanks again for your review,

Stout's Island Management Team

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Cannot say enough good things about Stout's Island Lodge. Quaint, historical, charming and magical. From the moment you step into the boat to head over to the island to you final look-back, it's perfection in the north woods. We visited on a Sunday and Monday in August (for my birthday) and I couldn't have asked for a better stay anywhere. The lodge is so fun to explore, the food was outstanding. I had the best trout I've ever had our first night there. We used almost every amenitie on the island - we played croquet on the beautiful court in front of the lodge, we hiked the trails, we hyro-biked around the island and took the double kayak and explored a few water-lily filled inlets, we played ping-pong, swam to the swim platform, enjoyed fantastic meals, took in the bonfire and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Everyone was friendly & accommodating (free dessert for my birthday). The breakfast were great for grab & go - hard-boiled eggs, warm banana bread, yogurt & more. It's a little worn about the edges in spots, but it adds to the charm. Cannot gush enough about what a wonderful time we had.
Also, they had well issues on our 2nd day, so we were upgraded and moved from Douglas (huge room) to Shore Lodge #1. Gorgeous room and they were simply wonderful about getting us set up. LOVE Stout's Island Lodge.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear DebrahG.,

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback immensely and we are overjoyed that you had such an enjoyable experience. A guest like you is invaluable-your have tried most everything we have to offer for amenities! We are happy you can be a resource for other future guests.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

All-around it was a beautiful weekend. The boat driver/bellhops were great and efficient. The young lady in the office was very informed well informed of wonderful walks and off island shops. The exterior of the buildings had a beautiful rustic look. The interior were a sharp contrast with Whirlpools and many other amenities. The only shortcomings in the island came in my dining experience. The waitress was nice and did a great job, but the was not what I would expect from such a fine established. I order a vegetable platter been told that many of the items were actually from the island. The appetizer came out soak in butter. My wife and I both order the salmon and it out the same. Before eating I was told how much the product comes locally and I was very excited, but instead of tasting fresh flavor I tasted butter. This will not stop me from returning to Stout's Island, however next time I will not be entering their restaurant, for more then a few cocktails. I will also be bringing my own food.

2  Thank Walter B
Island_of_Happy_Days, Manager at Stout's Island Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Dear Walter B.,

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful review! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay on this island! We are so sorry that you did not find your dining experience enjoyable--that is not the usual review we get for our chef's food. Our menu changes frequently, so perhaps a different dish may be to your satisfaction next time. We are happy to recommend options that have the most robust fresh flavor--as I can assure you many of our ingredients do come from the island and from local vendors. Regardless, however, we are delighted that you will be joining us again in the future!

Stout's Island Lodge

Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Stout's Island for an early June getaway after several weeks of heavy deadlines at work. It was just what we needed! We stayed in Shore Lodge #2 and treasured every moment. The room was beautifully clean. Huge picture windows allowed us to view trees and listen to birds and relax. The tiled bathroom with whirlpool was glorious. It rained every day we were there, but we still managed to do little hikes on the island and played pool and ping pong. Mostly, however, we just relaxed and read books. Everyone was wonderful. The meals were delicious. Stout's Island is far enough away from the Twin Cities to be a "getaway," but close enough to make it easy to get to in a couple hours. We took their directions for the "scenic route" to the island. Even this was fun and relaxing. We will definitely return to Stout's Island! FYI - There IS cell phone coverage at the island, but NO internet. That was actually a plus for us. Also, be sure to bring bug spray. This year is particularly wet, and the mosquitos were fierce.

1  Thank MNAuthor
Island_of_Happy_Days, Manager at Stout's Island Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear MNAuthor,

Thank you so much for the feedback! We are so happy that you enjoyed your time with us and had a chance to try our chef's delicious eats. We sincerely hope that the next time you visit, it won't rain quite so much and you will be able to enjoy the grounds a bit more.

Again, thank you so much for the feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We visited the island for our 10th wedding anniversary. The service was wonderful, starting with the boat drivers that delivered us to the island. The lodge is so historic and beautiful, it was wonderful to see the roaring fire as we entered the great room. Our room was in Douglas and was perfect and comfortable. We sat on our private deck and felt like we were alone in the woods. The nature walk, boating etc made our weekend stay so memorable. The restaurant is really special as well - locally sourced and first class. I highly recommend Stout's Lodge and we will definitely go back!

2  Thank wendy g

Dear Wendy,

We are so happy to hear that you enjoy the charm of the lodge just as much as we do. We are merely caretakers of this amazing property and its grounds. We hope that you visit us again--maybe try a room in the Main Lodge for a more historic experience? Let us know and we would be happy to walk you through the options!

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Reviewed June 1, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a four day trip to Stout Island Lodge. We were celebrating our 23rd wedding anniversary. The lodge is a very special, fun and relaxing place. The adventure begins when the guests are picked up at a dock by boat and travel across the lake to the lodge. The service is wonderful: everyone at the lodge makes sure you have what you need to enjoy your stay. We stayed in the main lodge, room #2...the fireplace was great. Very relaxing...the views are beautiful and there are chairs set up all over the property so guests can sit down and visit, read a book, or just take in the views. There is also a game room and water sport activities are also available. The gardens are very pretty. The lodge is a bit rustic and full of charm. The restaurant menu is limited, but the food is fabulous!! We LOVED the Stout Island Lodge and will be back again soon.

Room Tip: Check out the room photos to make sure you get the kind of room you desire.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dianne P

Dear Dianne P.,

Thank you for choosing us for such a special event! Congratulations (if we haven't said it already) on 23 beautiful years of sharing your lives--marriage really is something special. We are very lucky to have shared this anniversary with you. Next time you visit, we highly recommend Shore Lodge 3 with its huge picture windows and jacuzzi tub for anniversaries and honeymoons--you won't be sorry! Thank you so much for the feedback and we are excited to host you again soon!

Stout's Island Lodge Management Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birchwood
Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rice Lake
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Rice Lake
Best Western Inn
Best Western Inn
#1 of 8 in Rice Lake
Best Western Spooner Riverplace
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Rice Lake
Cobblestone Bed and Breakfast

Been to Stout's Island Lodge? Share your experiences!