“A great place to eat!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We eat at La Casa Grande at least once a month! The food is great and the servers are friendly. I recommend any of the burritos. They're huge!

Reviewed March 28, 2014

I always get the chicken and steak fajitas, delicious. My husband loves the seafood enchiladas. The kids love this place. My only criticism would be they need to update the tables and chairs, The tables are too small and always feel crowded with everyone's plates and the chairs are old and wobbly. The wait staff are usually friendly and attentive.

Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Nice atmosphere and great food. Nice music and staff.love to eat mexican dishes this is one of the best restaurants In the area.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

My husband and I are from the area and we have had consistent favorable experiences when we dine at La Casa. The staff is friendly and attentive, the restaurant décor is cool, the food is fresh and timely. Upon arrival, the hostess seats you and you are served with hot chips and fresh salsa. The salsa is chunky tomatoes, onion, peppers, cilantro, and a hint of lime - best in the area. If you ask - they'll serve a hot, green chili salsa. My husband had a combo plate and I had Nachos Grande. You will not leave hungry. The nachos are outstanding - chips with layers of beans, ground beef, and cheese - topped with sour cream, jalapenos, and guacamole. Once again - a great dining experience.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

First visit, September 2013 (lunch).

While I can't claim to be any kind of expert on Mexican cuisine, I have been fortunate enough to eat at several excellent Mexican restaurants in cities from San Diego to Chicago to Burlington Vermont to Montreal. OK, this is Beloit WI, not a tourist town or a big city, and smack in the middle of a part of the country that tends not to care much for spices and exotic flavors - but Beloit has an increasingly large Mexican and Hispanic population, and around 8 Mexican restaurants now (when I was a kid 40 years ago, I think there was just a Taco Johns). So on moving back here, one of the first things I wanted to do was check out some of the south of the border food offerings, and because my mom had heard good things about this place and the location was convenient, this is the place we checked out first.

Well, I hope it's not the best that the town has to offer. The interior is nice enough, it's clean and well-lighted and spacious (a group of a dozen was seated shortly after we were, and we barely noticed them, so it must take a big crowd to make the place loud). The service was friendly and efficient, and they have a nice menu of tequilas (about 30) and other drinks - I had a pretty good non-alcoholic Horchata. But the food was a trip to uber-Blandsville; my pork tamale had absolutely zero spice - no pepper, no garlic, not even much salt, and the refried beans and rice seemed like they probably came out of cans. Mom's chicken chimichanga was similar. The meat wasn't bad, they weren't over- or under-cooked, but flavor was sorely lacking. And this is the first time I can remember ever being in a Mexican restaurant where hot sauce was neither on the table nor offered by the server. The one bright note food-wise was in the very fresh salsa - no it wasn't at all hot either, but at least I could taste a little cilantro, lime and garlic. A little.

No wonder the entire lunchtime crowd as we left (20-25 people at 5 or 6 tables) was made up of gringos. If anybody knows where the Mexicans eat in Beloit or the stateline area, let me know!

1  Thank Muzzlehatch2013

Been to La Casa Grande? Share your experiences!