“Excellent food”

Paoli Schoolhouse Shops & Cafe
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Belleville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Paoli Schoolhouse Cafe is located on the banks of the tranquil Sugar River. Enjoy a meal in our beautiful dining areas or on the deck or patio as weather permits. As the sun sets the cafe takes on an elegant, comfortable feel with linens and candlelight. Our Wine Menu lists over 25 wine & champagne selections to complement your dining experience. We are also pleased to serve your favorite cocktails and carry a variety of domestic and craft beers.
Reviewed February 21, 2014

The food was wonderful. We had a great dinner. The appetizer was very good. Presentation was very well done. The server was extremely nice and helpful with recommendations for wine.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Small, cozy place to eat with a wonderful menu and a great atmosphere. You cannot go wrong eating here!

Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Delightful, delicious lunch. The Decore is pleasant and relaxing in a lovely rural setting. The round table in the corner was perfect for a quiet lunch before where we also enjoyed very recently updated wine list. Our waitress was talkative, pleasant and attentive. Every one of us felt our meal was Very good. We will definitely be back often. As some other reviews said, a real gem..

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We decided to grab a bite to eat here on Sunday of Memorial Day. Paoli in general is somewhat busy during the brunch hour and we were fortunate to get a table for the 8 of us outside on the patio. Since they were packed (bridal luncheon in the front room), service was slow, but they did try to hustle accordingly. The iced tea was delicious and everyone seemed to like their sandwiches - the BLT was wonderful as well as my Chicken & Rice soup (lots of flavor, but nice & light). Some of us shopped while we waited for food to arrive - cute items in the gift shop. Because it took so long for the food (and they accidentally provided dinner menus which we tried to order apps off of and had to re-order), they didn't charge us for the drinks. The patio setting is lovely and we would have loved it more if the weather had cooperated, but all-in-all, a great place to grab a bite to eat.

debbie s, Owner at Paoli Schoolhouse Shops & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Hello Debrah,

I apologize for the slow service this past Sunday and for receiving the wrong menus. We are currently training our summer staff and being so busy it must have been an oversight.

We work very hard to maintain the freshest quality of ingredients and keep our menu fresh. We appreciate your business and hope you will join us again for lunch or dinner.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it helps us to learn how we can improve on our overall dining experience.

Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

After reading many of the reviews on Trip Advisor, I was not sure how our experiece was going to be. Previous posters used the words, "delicious!, A-grade, excellent, complimentary, we took a picture of the food", as well as "rude, okay food, not sure I get it". So...........

My wife and I decided to dine at this restaurant on a Saturday night. When we first walked into the schoolhouse, we were VERY impressed. I could not believe the character this previous schoolhouse turned restaurant had. The boutique shop offered many wonderful things to look at: gifts, florals, jewelry, and home accessories. My wife was having so much fun...thank goodness she didnt buy too much at the shop!

We then decided to have a drink at the bar. I could not believe how nice the bar was! I had a bourbon on the rocks, and she had a glass of Sauvignon Blanc. Very nice pour, and a reasonable price. After one drink, we then sat in the back part of the dining room. The charcter was once again amazing. The fire place set a warm and comfortable mood, especially on a cold rainy night. It was time to order, so we decided to have Crab Cakes for an appatizer. Very good, and not too bready like many reastaurants have. For the main course, I had the Farfalle with Italian sausage. OMG, it was over the top good! My wife had a lighter, more healthy meal, the Baked Paremsan - Herb Canadian Walleye. WOW, that was just as tasty as mine. We ended up sharing our meals because they were so good. After a few more cocktails, it was time to leave.

We have eaten at the same reastaurants in Madison time and time again, and having found the Paoli Schoolhouse Cafe, we truly feel like we have found a gem. If you have not tried this place, it is a must! You will not be disappointed. I am not sure if things have changed over the previous months, but I could not disagree more with some of the negative reviews. Maybe these people are impossible to please. Anyways, just try it, and you will be happy you had. Make sure you try the craft butter. I think it was made with honey and chives. It was really good as well.

1  Thank MidwestBuck