“Third visit and still want to come back” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Char Haus
Ranked #1 of 55 Restaurants in Beaver Dam
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Milton, Wisconsin
“Third visit and still want to come back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014

Although not very inviting from the outside, the Char House is well worth a try. My wife and I arrived at about 5:15 pm on a Saturday and had no trouble being seated in either the dining room or the pub area. There were also several seats available at their bar,

Our server was very nice, even though she may have been a bit inexperienced. She promptly took our order for a bottle of wine which she retrieved quickly. Clearly this is not a "fine dining" establishment as the wine had been uncorked at the bar, presented to us with the cork partially reinserted and with no offer to pour or for us to taste. If we had been in a fancy restaurant, this would have been a deal breaker but since we were not expecting a big city haute cuisine experience, it felt perfectly fine. Glasses of ice water followed as did a basket of crackers, rolls and two delicious cheese spreads. Not far behind was a complimentary "relish tray" which included coleslaw, liver pate and some small shrimp with cocktail sauce. We very much enjoyed these treats.

My wife had the cob salad which was enormous and full of tomatoes, black olives, egg, grilled chicken, bacon and blue cheese on a bed of ice berg lettuce. There was nothing stingy about the topping quantities! All this cost only $8.99. Just try doing that at Culvers!

I had the queen cut of prime rib which was served at a perfect medium rare just as I had ordered. It was very large and delicious (as good as any I've had at twice the $22.99 price. I also had a side of great hash browns with cheddar cheese added (+50¢ extra). My meal was served with a choice of salad or soup. I chose the seafood chowder, a salmon pink colored creamy combination of lots of seafood and other vegetables (but surprisingly not any potatoes, which is often the typical filler). It was excellent.

With no room for dessert, the waitress presented our check. <$56 for the entire evening including a bottle of wine!? Are you kidding? If I lived closer we'd be eating at the Char House at least every week. Parking is on the street so be prepared for a healthy walk. I'd suggest anything within a couple of miles would be worth it for what you'll get. :)

• Visited August 2014

“Wow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

Beaver Dam, really... Surprised how Great everything was! We are a family of 6 there tables to give us room. Service was outstanding! An attempt to get the boys to try new things... Oscars sauce fantastic. My prime rib may have been a tad over done, but dang it was good. Seasoned well...
Go try for yourself, don't think it you will be upset.

Columbus, Wisconsin
“Close quarters”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

This place never disappoints me with the food or atmosphere. But when you have to wait and you usually do.. It is not accommodating as to much room to wait.

Monroe, Wisconsin
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

We were recommended to eat here on a weekend getaway. We were greeted as soon as we walked in and every employee was smiling. Great first impression! From the first drinks to the dessert, everything was great. My husband and I both had steaks, we would both recommend having a steak. The coleslaw that was brought out with the soup/salad was the best coleslaw we've ever had, delicious :) Our server Joanne was great, though. Very friendly, prompt, and she was always smiling. We did arrive early for dinner, and by the time we left they were filling up fast. We will return!

• Visited July 2014
from wisconsin
“Great for Steaks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

Nice supper club feel. Small but nice atmosphere. Nice tap beer selection. Rib eye for two can't be beat for value and taste.

• Visited March 2014