“What a Surprise”

Ranked #6 of 56 Restaurants in Beaver Dam
Cuisines: Asian
“What a Surprise”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I would never have expected Beaver Dam to have such a great Sushi Restaurant. We took our 10 year old daughter along also. We started with the spring rolls and I had a Seaweed Salad, the seaweed salad was superb and the spring rolls were very good. We had a mix of Special Rolls and hand rolls. The yellow fin hand rolls and the Hot Girl were excellent and we also liked the Mango Lover's sweetness. Our daughter had the Hibachi steak off the kids menu and boy was that good also. This is a new restaurant and they have decorated it very nice, almost hard to believe it is Beaver Dam. The Staff is very good, always there when you need them but not overbearing and interfering.

• Visited October 2012

Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
“Worth a second visit”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We visited this place on the first full weekend they were open. Needless to say, the place was packed... and the staff was a bit overwhelmed. Unfortunately it showed here and there.
We had the soft shell crab and steamed shu mai for apps. Not bad, but not the greatest I've ever had either. The shu mai could have done with much less corn in it... that just didn't mesh with the other flavors. In hindsight, I am not sure the shu mai is fresh... or frozen. The soft shell crab was good. Not awesome, not bad, just good.
Their salad was fresh, crisp, not overdressed. It was good, I only wish they had dried the lettuce better before serving it. By the time I was done, I had a puddle of water in the bottom of my salad bowl.
One of us had the scallops teriyaki. The cook certainly knows how to cook a scallop... not one rubbery scallop to be found. The teriyaki could stand to have been a little less salty.
One of us had a shrimp teriyaki bento box. The california roll that came with it was great. Makes me want to go back there for the sushi for sure. The spring roll was unfortunate. The wrapped had absorbed too much of the oil it was cooked in... and that was all I could taste. This could have been a result of an overwhelmed kitchen, I will reserve my final verdict on this one until I've been there again. The shrimp were fresh, but overcooked. The teriyaki was a tad on the salty side... and was burned on the grill. The fried rice: a little overcooked but it still had potential.
The third person in our party had the sushi & sashimi platter for 1... now THAT is a plate of food I will go back for. While the hot kitchen might have been overwhelmed, the sushi chefs certainly did not suffer the same fate.
The serving staff was obviously overwhelmed. We had 3 different servers stop by our table throughout our meal and to this day, I still don't know which one actually was our server for the night. The food made it to our table in a reasonable time frame and everything arrived hot, nothing was left to die on the hot plate in the kitchen, and that shows the place has a lot of potential.
We will revisit the place again once the newness has worn off and they are not quite so overwhelmed before I form a complete opinion of the restaurant. For now, I'll say it's just good. Not great, not bad... but with obvious room for improvement.

• Visited October 2012