“Pie to Die for”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stopped in for a light dinner after a long drive up to the Dells. Our entrees of soups and salads were ok but dessert saved the trip! We're not big dessert ordering family but seeing the variety of baked goods when you first walk in was impossible to pass up. At $3 a slice the price was right and after tasting the pie I gladly would've paid twice that. The peanut butter creme pie was stupid good and the strawberry creme pie was as fresh as could be. The dessert alone will make me come back again and give the menu another try just so I have a reason to cap it off with their dessert!

Our young waitress was also extremely pleasant and happy to wait on us which is always nice to see. Our kids loved all of the cool carved pieces in the restaurant which really give the place the rustic feel they seem to be going for.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Though, I have a poor rating, the waitress was very nice and provided very good service.
However I thought the food could have been better. It needed salt. And the cheese on the grilled chicken wasn't melted cheese like I had expected. It was some bland cheese sauce. The portions were too small too. Food was a tad on the bland side, but the service was very good.

1  Thank HeatherF592
G-Baraboo, Manager at Log Cabin Family Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

I am sorry you did not enjoy your meal. That particular dish was not meeting our customers expectations. ( It was the same dish BizzleRN recently posted about a few below yours). We have made necessary improvements to that dish based off your review. Increasing the amount of Chicken, Seasoning, and using Colby, Swiss, and Cheddar Cheese instead of the Cheese Sauce. Thank you for providing us with this feedback we use both the positive and negative to help us improve. I hope in the future you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a enjoyable experience.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Not sure where the negative reviews came from...maybe it was an off day. My husband has never raved so much about pancakes. He had the strawberry banana pancakes and if no one had been looking, he may have licked the plate clean. My pecan pancakes were great. The fresh squeezed lemonade was refreshing. Huge portions and it was under $20 for the two of us. Our waitress was wonderful Wish we lived closer!

1  Thank jpbiwer
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Famous Breakfast the sign said. Eat here the sign said. Don't do it!

I arrived for Dinner and there were two cars in the parking lot, which should have been a red flag slapping me in the face.

The hostess was not at the front door when I entered and I had to ask a server if I needed to seat myself of what. The server actually seated me. The server was great, very friendly, and kept checking on me throughout my meal.

I got the Wisconsin Smothered Chicken with a side of mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese. The entree came with dinner rolls.

The portion of the chicken was very small and was not what I would have considered a dinner portion, you get bigger chicken breasts at the supermarket. It was smothered in a cheese sauce that tasted like bad canned nacho cheese sauce. The bacon crumbles on top tasted just like the bacon pieces you get in the bag beside the salad dressing at the supermarket. The mashed potatoes tasted like the ones you'd get on a buffet as well as the mac and cheese.

I was not very satisfied at all with this meal at all. The service was exceptional. The atmosphere was almost like a diner and a sporting good store had a baby.

I would not eat here again unless it was to try the "Famous Breakfast" and I'm even skeptical about that.

2  Thank BizzleRN
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Have gone here for a long time but our last visit, April 20, 2013 was horrible! Service was fine, but the food was cold and very small portions. Atmosphere is good, but we should have known better when we pulled up in the middle of the dinner rush and there wasn't hardly any cars in the parking lot. Not a good sign! They need to either redo there menu or hire a different cook. It also took along time to get our food. Can't imagine what it would have been like if it was busy. Sorry, not going to go back anytime soon!

3  Thank Rosanne P
G-Baraboo, General Manager at Log Cabin Family Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

I am truly sorry you had an unsatisfactory experience while dining with us. It is our goal to make every customers dining experience a enjoyable one. If you could please message me back with some specifics regarding your dining experience I would love the opportunity to make things right and avoid any future disappointment. On that particular Saturday night we were busy the majority of our normal business hours and as of April 1st we did changed our menu over. Thank you for your feedback and I hope to hear from you.

Been to Log Cabin Family Restaurant? Share your experiences!