“Still Very Good”

Dining options: Delivery
Belvidere, Illinois
“Still Very Good”
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We just had dessert when we were here 2 years ago. This time we made a point to go for lunch (they just serve breakfast or lunch). As I said in my previous review, this is a great old-fashioned diner with beautiful woodwork. I really appreciate that they make an effort to have several vegetarian options. I had the veggie burger. It was very tasty and moist, unlike a lot of places. My friend had a chicken-grape wrap. He said it was excellent. Our server was exceptionally pleasant. If you are visiting the Dells, I think it is worth the drive to see quaint little Baraboo and have breakfast or lunch at Jen's Alpine.

• Visited July 2011

Baraboo, Wisconsin
“Winner, winner, chicken dinner.”
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Jen's Alpine is a classic locally-owned diner. If you happen to be in town on a Sunday, the chicken dinner is a must. Breakfasts are quite good as well, especially the potato pancakes. Service can be a bit slow, and the salads are often a bit tired. The soups are hit or miss.

Iowa
“A Hidden gem”
Reviewed November 24, 2009

We ate a lunch and 2 breakfasts at Jen's during a recent visit to the Dells area. The luinch (Sunday ) was very reasonable. Each day, there are 5 different homemade soups that are delicious. Breakfasts are also very good. There are breakfast and lunch specials each day and a variety of homemade pies are available.. The service is fantastic and most of the customers appear to be regulars.

Jen's is located in downtown Baraboo, just a short drive from the Dells area. This is one of the better places to eat in the entire area.

Belvidere, Illinois
“Old-fashioned in a Good Way”
Reviewed July 19, 2009

We went here because this was a lunch spot for my mom in the 1930's when she worked downtown at the Courthouse. To our surprise, the interior was mostly as it had been then! The beautiful wood booths, the mirrors at each booth, the tin ceiling, the counter, etc., were still there. We had eaten a late breakfast so we just had snacks. My friend had the pineapple upside down cake that he said was as good as his mom's, and I had an old-fashioned chocolate malted that came with extras in the metal canister just like the old days. The waitress was very pleasant and told us that the restaurant has been in the same family for 4 generations. Next time we will make it a point to go for a meal.

Packer land
“Great food in an unexpected place.”
Reviewed October 26, 2008

We were on an Art Tour when we stopped in at this restaurant.
It looked very 1950's so we were a little dubious about the food, but as soon as the soup arrived, our minds were changed.
I had a creamy vegetable soup, and it was delicious, very flavorful. For a sandwich I ordered a grilled ham & cheese and it was the best I've ever had. It was real sliced ham grilled 1st and then put into the sandwich and the cheese was added and the bread grilled.
It turned out to be the best food we'd had all weekend!
If you're ever in Baraboo, be sure to stop here, you won't be disapointed.

1 Thank Oldfoggie