“Favorite Group Sites for 8-14 people”
Review of Red Oak Campground

Red Oak Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Baraboo
Red Oak Campground
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Many reviews on here talk about lack of security to quiet people down, but this is one of the reasons I love staying here with a group of friends. Private campgrounds are different than State Parks in that security aspect, and if you sit around the fire in a State Park talking after 10:00, you're kicked out, so if you want to be asleep that early, stay at Devil's Lake. If you want to stay up around the fire and not get warnings from a security guard, this is a great place that let's you and your friends enjoy your camping weekend. It is right on Hwy 12 and a short drive to Devil's Lake, so it's fun to camp here and then spend the day at the State Park or in the Dells. I can't speak to any of the sites except the group sites in the far back, but I love those, they're quite private and heavily wooded/shaded. You can fit about 8 tents and 5 cars, a canopy or two, and have a fire going with 15 chairs around it where you can actually stay up talking and laughing after 10pm without being bothered by a security guard. I have been here about 5 times and love it every time. The lady in the office has always been great, and it's only $10 per person per night. There is a pool that looks well kept, although I've never been in there since it's usually crowded, and there's also a basketball court and a volleyball pit, so we had a great time rolling a cooler down to play volleyball with all our friends, met some nice people and played several games against them. They have clean bathroom facilities and free showers, and even from the distant group sites, it's not that far of a walk. I was here on Memorial Day weekend last year and as expected, it was packed and yes, there were a lot of idiots that were too drunk, but that was Memorial Day weekend, so a few sites had a few people out of control. However, if you have a group of 8 - 14 people and want to spend a weekend tent camping on one of the group sites, have drinks and good food and never be bothered, assuming you don't get too out of control, this place will be awesome for you and your friends. I wouldn't recommend it for kids. I wouldn't recommend you pull up with a huge camper and I don't even know if they have water or electrical hook-ups on some of the sites, but if you like tent camping and don't need electricity and water at your site, ask the very kind lady in the office for one of the back group sites, they're the best. Every time I want to camp in Baraboo with a group of friends, I always go Red Oaks.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
13  Thank kf13
There are newer reviews for Red Oak Campground

Reviewed July 25, 2010

Location easy to find and close to all attractions. Pool, bathrooms, showers pretty well maintained. Staff friendly however; very relaxed and not real forthcoming about their tolerance level in allowing loud music, foul language, speeding vehicles operating in very tight and tree laced dirt roads and to whom to contact if you are having problems. Apparently there is a security person on duty that you can call but somehow we missed that when we checked in. Our evening was sheer hell with 10 young men screaming and yelling foul language, music turned up so loud the entire night you couldn't hear the person next to you, racing through small dirt roads at 3:30 am! The peaceful atmosphere of the woods was not appreciated until 5:30 am in the morning when the drunks were finally passed out! I am a pretty tolerant person and I was looking so forward to this camping experience with my 25 yr. old Daughter and her boyfriend and my husband but when you are clutching your phone all night in order to dial 911 because you fear somebody is going to get hurt, it becomes a totally unpleasant and scary experience. 3 different campsites around us and things were getting pretty ugly at 2 of them and all night long! This is not a real large camp area and although the staff tries to place families and older couples in other parts and away from the party people, I would not recommend families with children at all. If they had a security person that did a couple run through's during the evening I am sure that would help. They have a nice property, it's too bad that some guests are allowed to ruin it for others. We had our drinks, our laughs our music and the freedom was great however most people like to believe they are at least somewhat safe and that when people get out of control there will be a visit from security. I advised Management and she apologized and said she tried to put us in another area and that we should have contacted Security. Well now that I know there is security that's fine but I will not be back.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank nanjane55
Reviewed December 13, 2009

I took my family here for the 4th on the advise of a friend. Knocked my socks off. The place was busy, but it had a very friendly atmosphere. Everyone looked like they were having a good time. The pool and facilities looked new. Awesome place with a great price.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank SummertimeChicago
Reviewed July 27, 2009

The good: the campground was about 10 miles from both Devil's Lake State Park and Wisconsin Dells attractions. The tent sites were located in a wooded area and not next to the road like some campgrounds. We enjoyed the privacy that this afforded us. There is a pool on the property and is affordable...10 dollars a person per night compared to forty dollars for a site.

The bad: There was only one shower house which was not always clean. The showers were not hot while we were there. The campground is also under construction.

The ugly: Camp rules are not enforced. We had to ask a family group to be quiet after 2 a.m. Both nights the campground was loud. Additionally, the noise from the interstate is constant. You will hear the roar of engines rather than the sounds of nature.

Not a horrible stay, but we probably will look elsewhere for our next vacation.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Nature_Nugget
Reviewed August 12, 2008

I was invited here by a coworker- who was thrilled about returning there with her friends- to come camping. This was perfect timing because it was the same weekend as my second anniversary. My husband was up for anything and we had no other plans. I was impressed with the cleanliness and security of the campground. The staff was friendly........ enough to open up early to let my husband and I check in. There was a pool, volleyball court, and basketball court. I haven't been camping since middle school which has been 16 years ago. There were SO many nice people around - in couples and families- we mingled with everyone and they were excited to be there from previous visits. Many of them even celebrated with us! It was nice to break away to your own campsite as well. I recommend this place for anyone who is going with or with out children. We are actually going in early September with our children.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank princessi
Reviewed April 2, 2008

My husband Eddie and I stayed at this campground on 4th of July weekend of 2007, it was wonderful. From this place you can view all of the major (expensive) hotels fireworks displays. We brought our dog (Dakota) and she loved it too. Every one of the neighboring campers and employees were extremely friendly. We absolutely love this campground. Actually, we are going back again in 5/08. The campground is doing alot of remodeling for this summer so if anyone thinks that it was nice before, just wait until this summer. I am sure it is going to be beautiful. To my knowledge, the campground is remodeling the pool, showers and bathrooms and who knows what else. I have stayed at other campgrounds and some of the expensive hotels (Treasure Island) and the price you pay to stay at this campground, well let's just put it this way, you can't beat it. You better believe that for my future get-aways, it will be at RED OAK CAMPGROUND! So enjoy your stay. By the way, there were people of all ages when we stayed here in 7/07 (we even met a couple that was in their late 70's). I hope my review is helpful to all. See you all soon. Thanks for making my get-aways wonderful RED OAK!
Crystal Arenas

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank dakota19
Reviewed August 8, 2007

This is definately a campground for younger people, but there were several families there. Everyone we met was extremely friendly. The campground is right next door to a feal market (on Sunday) and close to the downtown area (and winery!). They have a swimming pool, fairly clean (for a campground) showers/toilets, basketball court and sand volleyball. My fiance, friends and I are making this our annual camping trip camp site! I would check it out!

Stayed: July 2006
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baraboo
Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells
Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin De...
#25 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells
Hampton Inn & Suites at Wisconsin Dells Lake Delton
Hampton Inn & Suites at Wisconsi...
#18 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells
Grand Marquis Waterpark Hotel & Suites
Grand Marquis Waterpark Hotel & ...
#15 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
#24 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells
Hilton Garden Inn Wisconsin Dells
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Suites
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Su...
#5 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells

Been to Red Oak Campground? Share your experiences!