“Avoid this hotel if you dislike smoke smells or have respiratory problems”

Ho-Chunk Casino Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Baraboo
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I booked a room for 3 nights at this hotel after being told by their reservations people that there was no smoking allowed in the hotel and there were no smells of smoke. Because I have asthma that was critical for me. Our experience was so bad because of smoke that we left after one night to move to the Clarion hotel. The manager was extremely helpful in trying to accommadate our needs but we could not find any area that did not smell like smoke. If you go to the casino and get a 'players card' before checking in you'll get a discount on your room and meals. Do NOT go there if you have any problems with smoke. The smoke there was extreme. The next mistake was eating at the buffet restaurant where there is lots of smoke in the route needed to get there as well as in the restaurant even though it's a non-smoking area. I think it must be too close to the Casino.
When I went to check in I was given an even better rate than quoted by phone.The rooms were very nicely decorated and very attractive. We stayed in a 'Premium Room'. Unfortunately the smoke smells came in through the A/C system and prior guests smoke on their balconies which then gets smoke into your room. It's also possible that guests smoke in the rooms..But the smells of smoke in the room were mild compared to the hallways which reeked of smoke. Three days later, after only that one night in that hotel, I am still sick from the smoke, had to get on steroids and can't stop coughing. If smoke smell doesn't bother you it's a great hotel but I'd recommend a 'Premium Room' as they are nice.

Room Tip: There is no good room if you dislike the smell of smoke. Otherwise the "Premium Rooms' are...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank Katie33945

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We booked the family suite for a wedding at another resport in the Dells area. I called the day before to see if our room would be ready an hour before check in and was told that they would do their best. Upon arrival, 40 minutes before check in, our room was not ready, they were still cleaining it. We left and returned a few hours after check in to get our room keys and the rooms were wrong. We Spent 30 minutes getting it straightened out. We went back to the wedding off site and returned at 2 am to our room from the casino. Upon looking things over, there was trash under the furniture, hair in the bathtub. I did not call housekeeping as it was 2 am. When we checked out in the morning, I told the "Manager" at the front desk after she greeted me with "what's your problem?" She was beyond unprofessional and rude. She told me that they have housekeeping 24 hours a day for that purpose. I told her that our room should have been cleaned BEFORE we arrived, not at 2am. I sent an e-mail to the management and never received a call or e-mail back. This place lacks customer service! We have stayed here before, but will never again.

Room Tip: Rooms are noisy. Very poor sound proofing. You can hear everything that goes on in the hallway.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Carrie L
Reviewed August 11, 2013

If you're looking for a decent hotel with a balcony and nice shower, this is your hotel. The rooms have been updated recently. The hotel is reasonably quiet, as I did not hear any neighbors being noisy. The rooms are clean and the coffee is good. The only downside is that the blankets on the beds seem more like sheets.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank wisdellslocal
Reviewed August 7, 2013

When I arrived at Ho-Chunk on July 26 (for a birthday party) they could not find one of my reservations despite me having the confirmation numbers for two rooms. My stay was decent but wasn’t impression with the food.
I return home (Tennessee) and realize my card has been charged. I contact Vicki (supervisor) who informed me that I made reservations for July 25 not 26 and the charge were for a cancellation charge. I informed Vicki this isn’t so because I wasn’t in town on the 25th (not to mention birthday honoree grouped many rooms for this event on the 26th) furthermore, if that’s the case why didn’t anyone at the front desk (when I checked-in) inform me of this. Vicki stated she would inform her supervisor who would refund my card. Couple of days later, I see another charge on my card and I call Vicki again and she repeated to me what she said during our initially conversation. Ok, this is getting ridiculous now……. Vicki assured me that she would inform her supervisor and call me back. I have yet to receive a refund OR a phone call ………I will continue to call the hotel and go up the chain…..….this is absolutely absurd!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank STT1021
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We just went here for a weekend getaway and enjoyed it very much. The room we had was very nice and clean.You can enjoy the Dells and play at night because very close to the Dells. We ate breakfast at the hotel/casino and it was very good tasting. The casino has plenty of games and had no trouble finding favorites. The price per night could be a little more cheaper with so many other options available.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ben222
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Great rooms and service. Casino is just that so don't go unless you expect to win and lose. Good gaming tables. Slots very abundant and so many types you will find one you like. Very busy at night and weekends. Close to the dells so a good central site. Get a deal on rates by joining their club. Specials during the week too. Won't go wrong staying here.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank LarryS769
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I've read a lot of reviews about reservations (the people are rude and there are long waits on the phone to get through), the rooms and the staff. I just wanted you to know that I got through immediately and the person I talked to was very friendly and they always have been. I also never encountered any unfriendly staff in the casino nor have I had a dirty room. I think the rooms are quite nice. Maybe I am just lucky but I drive up from Milwaukee at least a half dozen times a year and would not come back if I encountered what I read. The slots may be tight but they are tight at most casinos. I go to have fun and if I win, it's a bonus.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Jodster57
Kathy D, Manager at Ho-Chunk Casino Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Jodster57,

Thank you for the compliments you left on our HCGWD-Hotel page. I have taken the opportunity to read your posting to the reservation staff; and they felt very appreciated. Thank you for choosing our property to meet your overnite accomodations. Please return again and we look forward to your next visit.

Respectfully,

Kathy DeCamp
Executive Hotel Manager
HCGWD
Ext 7990

Also consider these accommodations in or near Baraboo
Best Western Baraboo Inn
Clarion Hotel and Convention Center
Hilton Garden Inn Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
#27 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells
Hampton Inn & Suites at Wisconsin Dells Lake Delton
Hampton Inn & Suites at Wisconsi...
#13 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells
Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells
Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin De...
#25 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells

Been to Ho-Chunk Casino Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!