“Great Updated Rooms”

Ho-Chunk Casino Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Baraboo
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was our second time staying at Ho-Chunk in the last few years. This time, we were in the updated rooms which was beautiful and clean, which was a change from the last time. I read other reviews on here that the rooms weren't all updated, but when my husband booked the reservations the hotel said they have all now been renevated, but it never hurts to just request an updated room. I would agree with other reviews that the lights in the bathroom were dim, but that didn't ruin our stay by any means. Our stay was quiet, and it was great being in the casino so we could go play whenever we wanted. We had the weekend breakfast buffet on Saturday and I think the food was good and a reasonable price. The food in the bar was mediocre, but then again there are plenty of restaurants in the area you can go to instead. The casino is not as smokey as other casinos I've been to - but it's a casino, of course it's going to be smokey!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda P

Reviewed September 1, 2012

We have stayed at Ho-Chunk a number of times. I used to stay there on business when necessary. Problem has always been total indifference when checking in. Sometimes you get a greeting, sometimes not.

They have discontinued all AAA and other traveler discounts. we paid $170.00 during a king room. No hot water in morning for shower, drain plunger in sink was broken/disconnected. When i called down about lack of hot water, I was told no one else was complaining. Hot water was restored when we were packed and ready to go.

We asked about possible upgrade to a suite, no one could give us an answer on upgrade costs. (How could no one not know?) Maybe I was expecting to much of the desk clerks.

After 20 years, i can honestly say things have not gotten any better. The good news is there are other casino's for us to visit where we are welcomed..

I may be a bit old fashioned but I expect to be treated like a guest when I spend my money. Ho-Chunk might want to look into having Oneida Radisson staff start managing//training the staff at Ho-Chunk.

Room Tip: Best tip is choose another hotel. If you want gaming, Oneida in Green Bay or new casino hotel in B...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Dave C
Reviewed August 2, 2012

When I checked in to this property, I had expected the desk clerks to be friendly or, at the very least curtious. They WERE NOT! When I made the reservation, I was quoted a price of $110.00 for a double queen room. At check in, I was told that was impossible! The rate was $134.00. course that lead to a short argument (which I lost). I also expected some sort of gaming incentives. After all, I planned (and they expected me) to visit the casino. There WERE NONE! The room they put us in was so far from the main lobby I couldn't believe it. Then the power went out during the night closing most everything down. We were told it was due to the storm. The next morning (Sun Shinning Brightly) the power went out again. I was in the elevator! When I checked out, I asked for some type of compensation as my stay was less than perfect for a variety of reasons. I received NONE! When I stop to consider the lack of amenities, negative personnel attitude, lack of courtesy and OVER PRICED room, I will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
18  Thank L L
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This hotel was a big disappointment. The room was way overpriced. We paid $175.00 for one mid week night. They have no discounts for AAA, AARP or any senior discount. The room had been redone and looked OK. However it was very dark in the room. There were only two very dim lights in the bathroom. You could not put on makeup or shave with this light. When you showered you were almost totally in the dark.
On the plus side the mattress was good, there was a small refrigerator and they had a nice big screen TV but did not provide any list of TV stations available (only could get about 18 stations).
We called the concierge to ask a question and she said she would check and call us back; she never bothered to call back. We tried to call the front desk and could only get voice mail.
The buffet was over priced for what was offered. The selection was very limited and the salad was not even fresh. There are no free newspapers, no breakfast or evening snacks.
The casino is very smoky, clothes reeked from the smoke. All in all not a very enjoyable experience and would not return to this hotel. There are many better choices in the Dells for much less money.

Room Tip: It is a long walk from anywhere to the casino
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
17  Thank chicagoretired
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We came here to celebrate my mom's 75th birthday. Having a great time. The Dells are five minutes away, so if you don't have fun while you are here, you don't know how. We first were put in the older rooms. They smell of carpet fresh and the bedspreads were questionable. We all got upgraded to the remodeled rooms, so make sure you ask for those rooms, they are cleaner and don't need carpet fresh due to the new carpeting. Also, if you are handicapped, make sure to rent a scooter. We did from scooterstogo.com and were very happy for my mom. There is a lot of walking from the rooms to the casino, but this is good because the rooms are not smokey. But...the casino needs to upgrade their aircirculation system....very, very, smokey casino.
The food is great. We can't stop ordering the crab legs from the Copper Oak restaurant! They are fantastic and well priced: the the pound and a half, $31. I had the ribeye and rack of lamb, both very good. The cafe is good for breakfast. And the member card offers 10% off all food. My mom keeps winning at the slots so we are rooting her on and having so much fun.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Laura M
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Congratulations! You've finally made your casino/hotel experience totally un-affordable for people like us. You have taken away amenities i.e in room microwave, player's club discount and other incentives we use to have and enjoy at the hotel. Now it is an extra fee. Shame on you. We have been coming to Ho-Chunk ever since you were a couple of trailers twenty five years ago. Still, no discounts, no comps. Depending on who you ask, you can never get the same answer on daily/weekend rates. We stayed there last Sunday and Monday, whatever happened to your daily rates for Sunday thru Thursday? Do you only track your high rollers? It appears greed has set in. Now you're taking discount away at Whitetail. What's next? We will not be staying at your hotel again old friend.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Richard J
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed one night at the Ho-Chunk Hotel and really liked it. The pricing is high, but compared to a lot of motels in the Dells the price was worth it. Most motels require a two night stay on the weekends, but we were able to book one night for our stay. The room was really nice and quiet. The bed was comfortable. The room and the hallways were very clean. Would stay at Ho-Chunk again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Harleygrandma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baraboo
Best Western Baraboo Inn
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
#29 of 74 in Wisconsin Dells
Hampton Inn & Suites at Wisconsin Dells Lake Delton
Hampton Inn & Suites at Wisconsi...
#8 of 74 in Wisconsin Dells
Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells
Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin De...
#21 of 74 in Wisconsin Dells

Been to Ho-Chunk Casino Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!