“BIG, BIG, DISAPPOINTMENT”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Baraboo
Wausau
“BIG, BIG, DISAPPOINTMENT”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

When I checked in to this property, I had expected the desk clerks to be friendly or, at the very least curtious. They WERE NOT! When I made the reservation, I was quoted a price of $110.00 for a double queen room. At check in, I was told that was impossible! The rate was $134.00. course that lead to a short argument (which I lost). I also expected some sort of gaming incentives. After all, I planned (and they expected me) to visit the casino. There WERE NONE! The room they put us in was so far from the main lobby I couldn't believe it. Then the power went out during the night closing most everything down. We were told it was due to the storm. The next morning (Sun Shinning Brightly) the power went out again. I was in the elevator! When I checked out, I asked for some type of compensation as my stay was less than perfect for a variety of reasons. I received NONE! When I stop to consider the lack of amenities, negative personnel attitude, lack of courtesy and OVER PRICED room, I will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
18 Thank L L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Chicago, Il
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This hotel was a big disappointment. The room was way overpriced. We paid $175.00 for one mid week night. They have no discounts for AAA, AARP or any senior discount. The room had been redone and looked OK. However it was very dark in the room. There were only two very dim lights in the bathroom. You could not put on makeup or shave with this light. When you showered you were almost totally in the dark.
On the plus side the mattress was good, there was a small refrigerator and they had a nice big screen TV but did not provide any list of TV stations available (only could get about 18 stations).
We called the concierge to ask a question and she said she would check and call us back; she never bothered to call back. We tried to call the front desk and could only get voice mail.
The buffet was over priced for what was offered. The selection was very limited and the salad was not even fresh. There are no free newspapers, no breakfast or evening snacks.
The casino is very smoky, clothes reeked from the smoke. All in all not a very enjoyable experience and would not return to this hotel. There are many better choices in the Dells for much less money.

Room Tip: It is a long walk from anywhere to the casino
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
17 Thank chicagoretired

Travelers are raving about these Baraboo hotels

Mesa
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We came here to celebrate my mom's 75th birthday. Having a great time. The Dells are five minutes away, so if you don't have fun while you are here, you don't know how. We first were put in the older rooms. They smell of carpet fresh and the bedspreads were questionable. We all got upgraded to the remodeled rooms, so make sure you ask for those rooms, they are cleaner and don't need carpet fresh due to the new carpeting. Also, if you are handicapped, make sure to rent a scooter. We did from scooterstogo.com and were very happy for my mom. There is a lot of walking from the rooms to the casino, but this is good because the rooms are not smokey. But...the casino needs to upgrade their aircirculation system....very, very, smokey casino.
The food is great. We can't stop ordering the crab legs from the Copper Oak restaurant! They are fantastic and well priced: the the pound and a half, $31. I had the ribeye and rack of lamb, both very good. The cafe is good for breakfast. And the member card offers 10% off all food. My mom keeps winning at the slots so we are rooting her on and having so much fun.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Laura M
Orland Park, Illinois
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Congratulations! You've finally made your casino/hotel experience totally un-affordable for people like us. You have taken away amenities i.e in room microwave, player's club discount and other incentives we use to have and enjoy at the hotel. Now it is an extra fee. Shame on you. We have been coming to Ho-Chunk ever since you were a couple of trailers twenty five years ago. Still, no discounts, no comps. Depending on who you ask, you can never get the same answer on daily/weekend rates. We stayed there last Sunday and Monday, whatever happened to your daily rates for Sunday thru Thursday? Do you only track your high rollers? It appears greed has set in. Now you're taking discount away at Whitetail. What's next? We will not be staying at your hotel again old friend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Richard J
Wisconsin
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed one night at the Ho-Chunk Hotel and really liked it. The pricing is high, but compared to a lot of motels in the Dells the price was worth it. Most motels require a two night stay on the weekends, but we were able to book one night for our stay. The room was really nice and quiet. The bed was comfortable. The room and the hallways were very clean. Would stay at Ho-Chunk again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Harleygrandma
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Called for reservation two weeks before and was told no casino packages were offered and no discount for a player's club card. Booked a "luxury" room for $164/night for 2 of us, ridiculously expensive. Luxury and premium rooms are the ones nearer to elevators and entrances. The room had no dresser, just one big drawer; no tv guide or any other room or hotel information, just a copy of the yellow pages. No room service menu, no idea where the vending machines were located, nothing. There was only one kind of hanger and only a few of those, nothing to hang pants on. The bathroom had lousy lighting and no fan. Also no light in the shower, so if you closed the curtain, you were in the dark. There was a nice little refrigerator, but no freezer compartment. The decorative bed linens were stained. There was a large black box in the upper right hand corner of every channel of the tv, no explanation about how the tv worked. No MSNBC available and not many other channels, either. No HBO. The casino had "phased out" our favorite table game, Let It Ride. They mowed the lawn next to our patio door at 7:30 a.m. And they never bothered with a final bill under our door the day we left. I strongly recommend that travelers go to the Radisson at Oneida Casino in Green Bay. It's cheaper, nicer and much better service and value.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
21 Thank LisaCC_12
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 28, 2012

my name is mary henry i live in milwaukee. wi . i have visit ho chuck for many years and never got a discount on my rooms me and my husband stays for three and four days. we come five times a year. we will be coming on july3,2012 for 4 days.and they charge us full price.we never get a break. we love the hotel miss linda miller is very very nice.she said if she could but she can;t give me a discount on my room. i play with my player card also i play at the off track dog and horses.we loose lots of money when we stay their we eat breakfast every day alos we eat at the buffet. we will be visiting again in october and christmar you can check your record if you think i not telling the truth.we love the hotel. we love the hotel. we told our friends and they will staying for 1 day the said it was to expesive. from; mary henry also marshall henry.

Room Tip: higher room and floor are much quieter
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank 163maryhenry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baraboo
Best Western Baraboo Inn
Clarion Hotel and Convention Center
Hilton Garden Inn Wisconsin Dells
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Suites
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Su...
#4 of 73 in Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
#17 of 73 in Wisconsin Dells
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Wisconsin Dells
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Wi...
#10 of 73 in Wisconsin Dells

Been to Ho-Chunk Casino Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!