“A must-see attraction”

International Crane Foundation
Ranked #2 of 41 things to do in Baraboo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The International Crane Foundation is the only place on Earth where you can see all 15 of the world's crane species! Located in Baraboo amid the farmlands of southern Wisconsin, the International Crane Foundation's headquarters are just ten minutes from the Wisconsin Dells and surrounding Baraboo Hills. Visitors to our site can enjoy a guided tour of the world's cranes, take a hike on our nature trails, and browse nature themed items from around the world in our gift shop.
Merrillville, Indiana
140 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 298 helpful votes
“A must-see attraction”
Reviewed February 23, 2007

I drove four hours to get to the International Crane Foundation and it was worth it. This is the only place in the world to see all 15 crane species. To name a few, I saw the sandhill cranes, african crowned cranes, and their famous whooping cranes. I took the guided tour and it was very educational and fun. I saw all the 15 types of cranes in their enclosures. They were all a joy to watch. I especially enjoyed the "displays", which are like dances the cranes participate in. The staff did a demonstration flight which was a nice way to end the tour. After the tour, I went to the observation blind to observe the whopping cranes in their Wisconsin wetlands. I took some nice photos. They have a good gift shop with many crane related items such as clothing, stationary, and jewelry. I visited ICF in September and the weather was very pleasant. This was the highlight of my trip to the Madison/Baraboo area. Tip: ICF is close to the Wisconsin Dells which is a very popular tourist attraction. Check it out if you are in the area. Worth the drive if you're not close by.

2 Thank birdlady07

Mandeville, Louisiana
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 321 helpful votes
“Excellent way to spend some time!”
Reviewed June 7, 2005

My wife and I stopped in to the Crane Foundation while driving through southern Wisconsin. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed observing the different crane species and having questions answered by the staff. This is a very short drive from Wisconsin Dells, and I would definately recommend this for anyone! It is well maintained and a nice stroll around the grounds.

2 Thank jabberwockies
Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Check out the birds at the International Crane Foundation”
Reviewed March 23, 2004

Check out the cranes at the International Crane Foundation! Go on the guided tour and learn a bit about the cranes. They're really interesting. The AMOCO Whooping Crane Exhibit pond is a really peaceful and beautiful place. The nature trails are fine for a quick walk.

1 Thank DayHikerForFun