“Wait and go after construction is done in casino”

Ho-Chunk Gaming Wisconsin Dells
Ranked #13 of 46 things to do in Baraboo
More attraction details
Owner description: Popular gambling center features more than 1,700 slot machines, 48 blackjack tables and high-stakes bingo.
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Seems like there were a LOT of slot machines roped off. I know they just remodeled the snack shop so not sure if they are renovating the casino. I can say that everyone in our party had NO LUCK whatsoever in the casino...makes me wonder if the pay offs in the machines were adjusted. If not I guess I'm just a broke sore loser!!! I don't expect to win, but would like to enjoy myself while losing and this did not happen. Maybe its just the construction in the casino that has me rattled...that and they got rid of the Cherry Chocolate Chunk ice cream!! boo whoo

4  Thank maryjoanfive

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Very nice place and many excellent dining choices here. The slots were fun and employees very friendly, a really good casino buffet too.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

HO Chunk has always been one of my favorite casinos in Wisconsin BUT,,,,,,In the past 3 months we have gone to Ho Chunk in the Dells 3 times and only were able to have a good time once and today was one of the not good days. Today while we were there they had system problems and you were unable to use your free-play on your card (I had only$15 but wanted to play it). Then if you cashed out your ticket you couldn't use it in ANY other machine and couldn't cash it at any of the automatic ticket machines. SOOO I went to the cashier to cash in my ticket and the line was very long because there were only 2 people working there. They kept announcing that there was a system issue and they were working on it. While I was waiting in line to cash my ticket there were others who tried to cash out were unable to and were given a notice that a hand-pay needed most were just for a few cents so the machines were abandonded as people didn't want to wait. A few months ago we drove up the HoChunk and arrived there and they had no power....it was completely black in the casino and workers were walking around with flashlights. I think its time for Ho Chunk to put a little of the money they make from its patrons into updating the casino so there aren't problems like this. I also remember a time a few years ago were they kept announcing not to cash your tickets out as there was a problem. We had wanted to go to North Star Casino but decided to go to Ho Chunk instead because of a meeting at Lambeau field and the traffic thru Green Bay would have been really bad. I sure wish we would have just gone to North Star or stayed home. I have emailed Ho Chunk administrators in the past about issues with employees,etc and have never received any kind of response so I know they don't care what people think and really are not in business to please us just to take our money.

9  Thank bobcatsmom0617
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Very large casino with lots and lots of penny slots but also many gambling tables. Staff was super helpful; meals on the second floor were good and very well priced.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Casinos outside of casino towns like Vegas, Atlantic City and Reno (where you can wander to another one elsewhere or take a nice break on a boardwalk or lively street) are cookie-cuttered experiments in what whisles and bells and TV-tie-ins get the most people to spend the most money while feeling they're above the ugly fray of the odds, or worse, commerce itself. That said, I don't mind visiting Ho-Chunk for a few hours each time we're in the Dells; it doesn't exceed any expectations, sometimes-you-win-sometimes-you-lose (blahblahblah), and the gigantic outdoorsy hotel lobby diorama/water&rock&tree thing with an-eagle-on-a-stick is so sensationally awful it deserves to be on every decent what-were-they-thinking? list. We always use the 2-for-1 Dells pub crawl card for a break in the upstairs bar (cry in two drinks for the price of one) where we've always had a good time. My Mom likes it there. And on this last trip, three of our friends came away winners. So no gripes about the casino and payout percentages - I just wish Ho Chunk had a different attraction a short walk away (like Fremont Street or an ocean). And free drinks for crying out loud - I know that that can be costly, but boy would it get me to happily gamble a lot more. All told, this is a good place to gamble. Those who aren't winning should spend leisure dollars elsewhere (like at the bar upstairs). I'd give Ho Chunk four stars but it doesn't seem to be trying very hard at anything but just staying as-is.

1  Thank Musicmaster