“machines were tight”

Ho-Chunk Gaming Wisconsin Dells
Ranked #13 of 46 things to do in Baraboo
More attraction details
Owner description: Popular gambling center features more than 1,700 slot machines, 48 blackjack tables and high-stakes bingo.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I didn't run into anyone who actually came out ahead of the game what a waste of money and time. The best thing about it was the free ride to and from the motel. I met some really nice people on there.

3  Thank Jen K
There are newer reviews for Ho-Chunk Gaming Wisconsin Dells

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Horrible experience will never stay here again or recommend to anyone dirty and management does not return important calls

4  Thank Cherie K
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is a large, well-kept up casino. When we arrived about 3 p.m. on a Sunday, it was packed. We were going to get a player's card then, but the line was long, so we just walked around a little before going to the Wis Dells. The casino has self-serve soft drinks and coffee, but no ice. We came back around 7 p.m. and it was still quite crowded, but the Player's card line was short. They were quite friendly.
Then we started playing. They have lots of penny, two cent, nickel and higher denomination machines. I always play penny and have been to many casinos in the Midwest and Vegas. But many of their penny machines had high number of lines that had to be bet.
Also, because it was crowded, it was hard to find a penny machine that I could afford. If you're willing to bet more than I do, then you would have lots of choices of machines.
We played for about an hour, but I lost $25, so we left and went to the bar, where they had $1 draft beers. We played video poker there and our money stretched further. My husband had won $40 at the casino, so we returned later and stayed there until after midnight. By then, the crowd had thinned, so I was able to find some penny machines that I could afford. My husband earned enough points for $10 free play. We probably lost $40 that one night, so not too bad.

1  Thank Gem1957
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Horrible stay. On a $400+ a night room our kids found blood on the sheets. The casino was horrific for most around me and myself. Food way overpriced for its low quality. STAW FAR AWAY unless you wanna go home disgusted!!!!!

8  Thank Dsisym
Reviewed July 4, 2013

First let me say, that when we were researching Wisconsin Dells as a vacation destination, we were pleased to see there was a casino in the area. The Ho-Chunk website showed a nice facility with many gaming options and restaurants. We had originally planned on having 3-4 meals there during our week in the Dells, and maybe even doing some gambling while we were there.

We stopped by on our first day to join their players club, and were told by the lady at the counter that we would be receiving $10 of free slot play. This is nothing new, we've seen this in other casinos throughout the U.S., nevertheless we were looking forward to trying out our luck with our initial $10. What we soon discovered, after trying our cards in the machines (and finally asking one of the casino employees), was that the $10 of slot play was after earning "10 points". After playing the machines for over 1/2 hour, and losing, I earned an entire point. Another member of our party played for the same length of time, lost her money, and earned no points at all. So we did the math, and figured that the $10 of slot play would only be awarded after at least 5 hours of playing the machines. Needless to say, everyone in our party lost money on the machines, and never received the $10 of free slot play.

I have been playing blackjack for over 25 years and have never seen so many people lose as I did over the course of the two days I visited there. It was unbelievable how many older gentlemen (who all appeared to be locals) would plop down $300-500, get their chips, and lose it all within a few minutes, and reach in their wallets again for another round of this. It was almost as if losing was a way of life for these individuals. And these men were NOT playing the game incorrectly either. In my past experience, most of the time people lose at BJ because they do not quit when they are ahead. I think I was ahead maybe $5 one time, and losing the rest of the time. Yes, losing is a drag, but after seeing so many cases where a dealer would have a 6, then flip over a 5 and end up with 21, you have to wonder what's really going on. With Wisconsin having only 20 casinos, it makes you wonder how closely they are really monitored by the state gaming commission. Take out a few face cards out of a 6-deck shoe, and guess what - you have a lot of losers. Which is what we saw over this two day time period.

After doing nothing but lose over the two-day period, watching everyone else in the casino lose (to apparently no one's chagrin or surprise), and getting way overcharged at their steakhouse (see separate review), we decided they had enough of our money for the week. Not only that, their lack of ventilation in the building was really starting to get to us (the smoke smell is overwhelming).

If you are visiting the Dells, or live nearby and have never been to this casino, stay away and save your money. We have been to casinos all over the country and have never seen a casino so well-equipped to take the money of EVERY person that walks through their doors. Try Vegas, Atlantic City, Tunica, or any other casino destination instead.

12  Thank Gizmo311