“They LOVE your money...and since you pay up front...they don't care about YOU.”

and 1 more site!
Wyndham Vacation Resorts at Glacier Canyon
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Baraboo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 27, 2013

AWFUL! The staff and guests are rude, obnoxious, belligerent, condescending, and have no respect for guests, their time, or their money. I called the front desk NUMEROUS times regarding the use of the fitness center by other guests late at night right next to my room. Each time I was assured that security had been informed, looked into it, security swore the room was clear.. but it wasn't. The fitness room was supposed to close at 10pm. Come to find out, it was a STAFF member using the room and dropping weights until 10:23pm. Additionally, at 10:19pm, I found maintenance staff loitering in the hallways talking loudly on cell phones. I called back to the front desk, begging them to stop the noise, as it was a weeknight, after 10pm, and in addition to the staff being rude there were guests drinking and hanging out in the hallways above my room bellering at kids racing around. Yes, it is a family fun oriented place. Yes, kids scream and run in the waterparks and hallways. HOWEVER, this place KNEW there were both gymnasts competing early the next morning and had bid to let rooms to us. But, they weren't interested in housing athletes for a competition..they just wanted our money. When I called the front desk back, snarling that it was late and I wanted quiet...I wasn't rude, foul, or elevating my voice, THEY HUNG UP ON ME! The next day I went to check out and verify they had comped the room. They did not and they refused to do so. I was offered a manager (just as soon as she finished a phone call), but had to leave for the competition- I promised to return later. When I returned later...the front desk supervisor told me that she understood I had already spoken with the manager. And, that the LIVE security footage from the prior evening did not correlate to my 'story'. I told her that was two lies...to my face! They refunded me $50 of the $200 they collected for the stay, called me a liar, refused to acknowledge they had done anything wrong, claimed they had indeed looked into my 'allegations' and sent me on my way. I've NEVER had such horrific service at a hotel by the staff no less... than I received here. Please...if you like drinking in the hallways.. never getting any sleep, being called names by the staff, and generally ignored and mistreated- then, by all means give them all your money. Otherwise- STAY AWAY! I'm never going back.

Room Tip: Don't bother... the locations of all rooms is awful and loud and the staff don't care and do...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Kristine K

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My children had a great time even though it was so cold outside and we had to walk the skywalk to access the water park from the unit. The shuttle buses took almost half hour which is a long wait considering the size of the place and the cold temperatures outside. We called once to confirm the shuttle was en route and the agent was rude and suggested we walk. We called again after another 10 mins to make sure we were in the right location and same rude agent. I did not really have time for nonsense but I did make a mental note of it.

We are owners with Wyndham and have been for a few years now so we like to try and get our money's worth and visit as many properties as possible. I must say that as far as service, the Water park at the "Great Smokies Lodge" in Tennessee offered much better service "with a smile" and both had similar facilities. Further, I was never asked to go through a "member update" in Tennessee like I was in Wisconsin.

The rooms were large and I appreciated the fireplace, chrome design kitchen and beautiful furniture. The room had an unusual odor upon arrival but we opened the front and balcony door and let it air out. My children ages 8 and 4 were enthralled with the wave pool and it was nice to see life guards so intent on watching the smaller children. I am not sure how older children will regard this place but my children loved it. I suggest coming in the warmer months so one is not soaking wet and then exposed to the elements.

We cooked many meals in the unit but when we did eat out, it was at an amazing Italian restaurant up the street. Wyndham offers many deals on area attractions and restaurants so that was really nice. I already booked another two trips here but I may cancel one, I think coming here twice is going to be enough..but we'll see..

Room Tip: Try to call ahead and ask for a room near the skywalk
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bellasphinx
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed in a 2 bedroom presidential with another couple in July of 2012, the first time in 2011 we stayed in a 1 bedroom deluxe. We had a lot of fun and will be going back again. We go at least once a year and this year plan on going twice. I love the room it is so comfortable and the jetted tub is amazing. Glacier Canyon has spoiled us on hotel rooms, the connivence of having the kids in a separate room than us. Also with the kitchen being as nice as it is makes us want to use it more. Some people don't care about the room but for us that is really important. There is nothing better than having a great vacation and being able to escape to our room for lunch or to take a break. We have considered trying Kalahari for a change but I am really worried about the rooms not being as nice so I think we will stick with Wilderness. The fact that there are so many water parks the kids never get board, it's always an adventure.

One thing I will comment on is the bed was not as comfortable in the presidential as it was in the deluxe, but it was still more comfortable than other hotels and I loved it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank blakespsycomom
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed at the Wyndam Timeshare Condos which connect to the Wilderness Resort via a skyway on floor 2. I could not believe that we paid the same price for a newly remodeled, 3 bedroom, 1300 square foot condo as it would have cost to stay over in the Wilderness hotel for a standard hotel room (do your research).

Check in was fast, but we were not assigned our room until 4:15 when check-in was at 4:00. Seems kind of late for a check-in. Got to the room and it had a horrible smell in it. The staff offered to bring a deodorizer, but we asked for a new room and they accommodated us quickly. These condos are in great shape and were beautiful. It was nice to have a full kitchen so we could save on eating out for every meal. Quick tip – bring some kind of a noise maker like a fan because it is very loud by 7am. We brought an air purifier and it helped with noise.

We stayed during the week, so only 2 of the 3 indoor waterparks were open. We have a 5 and 3 year old, so the waterparks were sufficient for them, but older kids would have been disappointed. I just found it disappointing that with a resort so big, they didn’t offer more in the waterpark area. I did notice the water was rather cold and most kids were shivering. This resort is big, so plan on doing some walking. We requested a room near the skyway and that helped cut down some walking. There is plenty to do here and we only left the resort once in 3 days. Contrary to some reviews, I found the staff to be quite helpful, especially the Wyndam staff. No high pressure timeshare speeches and they accommodated our needs.

As far as dining, we ordered pizza from the Pizza Pub on the first night and it was excellent. They delivered the pizza within 20 minutes and it was delicious. The second night we went to Monk’s which is near the property. I thought the burgers/cheese curds were good, but nothing exceptional. The kids liked having their meals served on Frisbees so it was worth the trip.

As most other reviewers have stated, if possible, go during the week. Yes, you give up one of three waterparks being open, but it’s worth it to have less people. Also, we found it beneficial to visit the waterparks during the lunch and dinner hour as most people were eating during that time.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank dwills0777
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We have stayed at the Wyndham Glacier Canyon Lodge at the Wilderness resort many times. We love to go in the fall and late winter to get out of town and enjoy the waterparks.

We have stayed in 2 and 3 bedroom units. They are set up nicely and provide a good amount of space for a family. The 2 bedroom was great for my family with 2 boys aged 4 & 6. When we have a 3 bedroom we have comfortably fit another family of 4.

The waterparks are great, lots of options for younger kids and older kids to be happy. One of the parks closes during weekdays when occupancy is down in the offseason. The weekends are busy, but not too crazy.

My only complaint is the noise in the rooms if the people above you are running around. I know kids can be tough to slow down so during the day it is not a problem. When it is after 10 thougha nd my kids aree sleeping it is annoying. With that being said, we will still continue to go back. It is a great break from the Wisconsin winters.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Schuyler B
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Three adults and 4 teens went to this resort for a long weekend (Thur-Sun) for a school break. We had a 2 bedroom/2 bath with full kitchen. The resort is currently remodeling all the rooms but we had a room that had not been done yet. Regardless, the room was great. The kids loved the waterparks and arcades but the adults did not go in either. There was not a long wait to check in and, although we had to go to another area to get our parking pass, there was not a hard sell to get you into a timeshare presentation. Our room was ready immediately. I love the rustic look of the rooms. There was no noise from surrounding rooms or hallways. This is a great place to take kids and the adults had fun too. There are plenty of things to do in the area around the resort as well to suit everyone.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the interior grounds.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank lilyofvalley58
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Our family of 4, including kids aged 8&11, stayed at the Wyndham glacier canyon for 3 night mid August, 2012. This was a return trip to the wilderness resort but our first time staying in the Wyndham section. For the most part our stay was wonderful. We had a 1br suite, which included full kitchen and laundry facilities. The bedroom housed a king bed, dresser, tv, closet and safe. The couch in the living room converted for the kids to sleep there. The bed in the room was comfy but the pull out was awful.....worn, thin mattress and certainly not meant for sleeping. Bathroom was large with shower stall, toilet and vanity. A jacuzzi tub and separate vanity were also just off the bedroom. Kitchen appliances (fridge, stove, dishwasher, microwave) were clean and in good repair. Small appliances include toaster, blender and coffee maker. Cookware, dishes and utensils were basic but in good condition. We went out for dinner oen evening and oreded in one evening beyond that we made our meals in our unit. Be aware that there is no housekeeping in your room so you are responsible for making bad, doing dishes, etc. I didn't mind this at all as it limited anyone from being in our room. I started the dishwasher when full but felt that sometimes we were scrambling for dishes so wished there were a few more. By the third day I had figured out that I should run it after each meal, whether full or not. I appreciated having a recycle bin right in our suite for cans, paper, containers, etc and this kept the garbage bin from filling too quickly.

Wilderness waterparks, which are of course included in you stay as Wyndham glacier canyon is at wilderness territory resort, are the best in the Dells! We've been to Great wolf lodge, Kalahari, and Mount Olympus, and when planning our trips to Wisconsin Dells this year we didn't consider other places because of our fantastic experience at wilderness resort last year. I appreciate that the parks are open only to hotel guests so it stays very clean. I think that's likely related to the clientele that are attracted to and willing/able to pay for this property. The lines never seemed long as many of the slides are multiple riders. We had so much fun playing with our kids, but also had lots of time relaxing and suntanning as the kids played on their own. I am sometimes accused of being a "hovering" parent but I did not have any safety concerns here as it is well staffed with ++ life guards and security.

Any complaints I had were minor and few. One thing that could be improved is the soundproofing as it was very loud in our room and our kids didn't get a lot of sleep due to the noise from the suite above us. Also, we lost WiFi on day 1 and while it wasn't a big deal because we were busy having fun at the waterparks and other on resort activities (Lazer tag, sky ropes, mini golf, games arcade), it would have been nice to check email, have web access etc at night as we intended when we brought the iPad. We were as far from the lobby as possible (8114, very last room out, not our choice but couldn't be changed apparently) so even our cell service was sketchy at best. My husband needs to stay connected with the outside world due to his business so it was somewhat inconvenient to have an iPhone that was rendered useless at times because of lack of cell service.

Will I return.........absolutely. Next time we will book a 2br and request a room closer to the lobby.

Room Tip: Rooms farther from the lobby have poor cell reception and WiFi connection.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank destinationthere
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baraboo
Best Western Baraboo Inn
Clarion Hotel and Convention Center
Ho-Chunk Casino Hotel and Convention Center
Glacier Canyon Lodge
Glacier Canyon Lodge
#15 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells
Hilton Garden Inn Wisconsin Dells
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Wisconsin Dells
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Wi...
#10 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells

Been to Wyndham Vacation Resorts at Glacier Canyon? Share your experiences!