“Family Trip 07/2012”

GreenLeadersSilver level
colorado springs
“Family Trip 07/2012”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Traveling with 2 teens and 2 and under 12. The Wilderness Resort was wonderfull. The resort passes that come with the unit are well worth it. Water parks were great for everyone, I had a great time going down the slides with the kids. You never have to leave the property, but we did. Jet boat tour was a blast, as well as the upper dells evening mystery trip. Downtown is fun to walk around in the evening.

Stayed in a three bedroom deluxe unit for a week, when we checked in, I had to have housekeeping come into the unit and finish cleaning. I have stayed in a number of Wyndham Resort Properties and never have had to have housekeeping come back to clean. The rooms are showing their wear, we were moved, after the ceiling leaked. I was told by a maintence person that a number of the rooms have had ceiling leaks, the unit we moved to had ceiling damage where it had previously leaked. I also have never seen such stained carpets in any unit than I did here. Management is proud of the fact that they are going to remodel later this year and add hardwood to the 3 bedroom units. But that did very little for those of us who stayed prior to their palnned remodel.

But with that said, it was a great family vacation. The property is great, activities well planed and staff was helpful with out problems. If I go again, which we may, it would not be until after the remodel.

1 Thank Coloradomurf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Pleasant Hill, Missouri
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We have stayed @ the Wilderness 4 other times but with Wilderness on the Lake. Now that we are Wyndham owners, we decided to try Glacier Canyon. The grounds, waterparks and attractions are amazing for families with children. My kids are 12 and 13 and they had an amazing time hopping between the waterparks and riding the go-carts, mini-golf, painting pottery and golfing @ the 9 hold course. All these attractions are right on the property. They are all well ran and if you purchase the "Extreme Pass" from the Wilderness they discount each attraction.

My few concerns have to do with Wyndham and this property in particular. We are very happy Wyndham owners and have visited Hawaii, Colorado and Branson with our timeshare. GC was the first property where Wyndham didn't replace laundry detergent, toiletries or other personal items. You are also expected to wash your own towels for the week (without them replenshing the detergent!) My family of 4 stayed in a 1 bedroom unit and there was plenty of space. But the kitchen was only stocked with 4 plates, 4 bowels, 4 cups, 4 forks, 4 spoons, etc. This makes it extremely difficult to cook and eat for 1 day without doing the dishes or running the dishwasher (and they don't replenish the detergent!).

The furniture is ready for replacement and the carpets were pretty stained. These areas are supposed to be updated in the fall.

Overall, we had a great trip. We were together on a vacation, what's not to love? But Wyndham could accommodate their owners a little better, or at least supply the same items at each resort.

Room Tip: Choose a room close to the 'D' entrance. Closest to the waterparks and the foot bridge to ac...
3 Thank LikeMooreTravel
North Mankato, Minnesota
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We have stayed at WVR at Glacier Canyon four times previously. On this trip we rented four different units for a family reunion. Since we had not stayed here in the summer previously, we weren't sure what to expect. We had thought that during the summer months it would be wall-to-wall people, but it wasn't during our mid-week stay.

The units themselves are in definite need of updating, slated to begin in August 2012. One of the units we rented, a 3-br, had carpet that was worn and stained badly. Some of the furniture was showing its age in all the units.

Overall, however, we were quite pleased with our stay. The employees, especially the young summer workers, were pleasant. We had numerous conversations with individual employees from foreign countries who were courteous and kind. The waterparks seemed to be kept up relatively well. Part of our group did the zipline tour and had a blast - they praised their two guides highly.

Because we live not too far away I'm sure we'll be back. We'll look forward to the planned updating.

Room Tip: The presidential suites have the most open space.
1 Thank Greekprof7
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed June 21, 2012

My boyfriend and I went to the Wyndham Glacier Canyon lodge for a 5 day 4 night vacation. Overall it was a great experience..the wilderness waterparks were great we were gonna go to noah ark but there is so much to do there that we didnt want to leave... It would be nice if they put more coffee in the room..We never road any of the shuddles we walked and it wasnt bad but i can see with a little one it could be a long walk...I enjoyed the room so much i didnt want to leave it..we loved having a safe in our room also. We had the one bed room condo and love it! It was so nice having a kitchen in the room so we made breakfast and lunch. Your not suppose to bring snacks and your own drinks in to the pool area we did in my beach bag and no one said anything to us.. The only bad thing was the beach towels they need to be bigger! I can't wait to return I bought my deal off of e-bay for a timeshare and paid half of the price that they usally charge for a room like this! I will return with my family I can't wait to show them the dells!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tbrolsma20
San Diego, CA
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Stayed for a week timeshare. Upon arrival the grounds were beautiful and couldn't wait to check in. They handed us our keys and off we went...only to find they had given us keys to an already occupied unit! We went back to the front desk and they gave us another whirl. The unit was gorgeous and well supplied. As soon as we settled in it sounded like a herd of buffalo were on top of us. We complained about the noise above, way into the night. They did nothing. In the middle of the night there was water running through the lights into our unit!!! Oh brother, and we had a flight the next morning. Awful experience. When we got back home to California, I wrote letters to Wyndham. NO REPLY. That my friends, is very poor management. Need less to say, when I see "Wyndham" I will think twice.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Surdiego
Belleville, Illinois
Reviewed May 24, 2012

My family and I have gone to the Dells every summer for the past 3 years now. We will be going back next month. I've been reading some of the reviews as I do every year and I'm always amazed at the negative remarks. First of all, no trip is ever going to be perfect. We always buy our condo in the Wyndham section through ebay. For around $1000 we can have a presidential suite for a week. These rooms are fabulous. Why anyone would book through the resort is beyond me. We only buy presidential as they have the cathedral ceilings and we like that. We have our own washer and dryer and a full kitchen. We do buy groceries at Wal-Mart for breakfast and lunch but usually go out or order in for dinner. We take advantage of whatever the resort has to offer. We buy fun passes for all four of us which gives us a nice break from the parks, and we do the zipline. Considering the size of this resort, the lines are fabulous. Our first year there we went to Noah's Ark and spent the majority of our day in line. We left early. We love that the waterparks in Glacier Canyon are exclusive to resort guests. The longest line is usually the Hurricane but we get up early and go there an hour before that park opens up because you are allowed to ride only the Hurricane if you do. Why everyone doesn't do this is confusing to me. We also go back and ride at the end of the day when the line is minimal. Every other line in that resort is short. So what if the workers don't speak good English. I'm not there to make friends. We love this place and will continue to go back every year. I have a daughter in college and a son in high school. Where else would kids that age want to vacation with their parents? Nowhere!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank Nicole M
Dubuque
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We took our 3-year old twins to the Wyndham Glacier Canyon lodge last weekend. Overall it was a great experience- a little crowded due to Spring break. Our room was great! Fantastic view from the deck, and what a bonus having a washer/dryer, dishwasher, plates, utensils, etc. The indoor skywalk to the Wilderness Waterparks is not that far of a walk, as some people have complained about this in the past. I'd recommend the Cubby's Cove for little ones under 3, smaller waterpark and a manageable crowd. Sales pitch right at check-in was pretty annoying- even when it was clear that we were not interested (both my kids were crying/irritable from the car ride) the saleswoman persisted in her pitch. Overall great experience, will go back again!

Room Tip: 3rd and 4th floor rooms are ideal- less noise/traffic in the hallways!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ErinK3954
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baraboo
Glacier Canyon Lodge
Glacier Canyon Lodge
#15 of 74 in Wisconsin Dells
Hilton Garden Inn Wisconsin Dells
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Wisconsin Dells
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Wi...
#10 of 74 in Wisconsin Dells
Grand Marquis Waterpark Hotel & Suites
Grand Marquis Waterpark Hotel & ...
#13 of 74 in Wisconsin Dells
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Suites
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Su...
#6 of 74 in Wisconsin Dells
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
#12 of 74 in Wisconsin Dells

Been to Wyndham Vacation Resorts at Glacier Canyon? Share your experiences!