“Shady business practices”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Baraboo
Fox Hill RV Park & Campground
Burnett, Wisconsin
“Shady business practices”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

This would not be my first choice for places to stay if I was going to camp near Baraboo again. My displeasure with the owner and how things are run started when we arrived; at registration. We were informed that the site we booked and paid for was given to another guest in our group because she had gotten there first and wanted it. When we saw the new campsite I understood why she took our site, her site was on the corner right next to a busy intersecting road and quite a bit smaller not to mention the fire pit was on the opposite side as the door and exposed to sun all day long. However the site that was supposed to be ours was large, and completely shaded. It was located between several other campsites and the ground was even not like what we ended up with. When I complained about it the girl behind the counter told us flat out that we had to work that out amongst our selves. I thought this to be poor because when we booked our site the girl taking our reservation and credit card information asked us what kind of a camper we have and how big it is. Ours is a 26' hard side camper, hers is a pop up which is quite a bit smaller than ours.
The second complaint would be how management handles their quiet time hours. It was a poor reflection upon you and your business when you walked up to your guests and not only threaten them but swore at them as well. I cannot speak for everyone in my group but I WILL speak for what I witnessed firsthand and the female owner was not only rude, and disrespectful, she was downright disgusting. I was rather shocked to witness a business owner dropping "F" bombs because her sleep was being disturbed. There were several people sitting around the campfire that particular evening; which incidentally was not on our site. So all of this being said, the true icing on the cake would be when I received an email from the organizer or our group asking me to remove a review I put on Travel Advisor.com.
I cannot even begin to explain the level of shock I had as I read this email; the owner specifically named me as the person who left the review. Yes I did fill out a survey, and yes I did voice my opinions, however I did it through a survey that Foxhill Campground personally emailed me. I cannot decide which non professional behaviors upset me more; the fact that Foxhill shared someone else's personal review of their campground with others or the fact that I have been singled out and accused of something that I did not do? If you look at the other "not so satisfied" reviews one thing definitely stands out; Foxhill Campgrounds owners seem to single out and pick on "group" guests, our stay was not an exception! And if the owners would have paid attention they would have noticed that my name was not on either one of those reviews.
This is one of the most unprofessional and insulting things I have ever been a part of and I will not retract this review because it is the truth! If you do not want honest and forthcoming reviews ~ poor or not~ then change your business practices. I had absolutely NO plans of placing any kind of a review of my stay at your campground on any travel site, but after this experience I now feel it is my obligation to make others aware of how the Foxhill campground does business. I do not feel it is in anyway appropriate for them to contact ANYONE and share others opinions of your establishment and/or pressure them into retracting unflattering reviews! This is American where freedom of speech is a fact of life so maybe it is you who needs to watch yourself and how you do business. I am of the mind set to report you to the better business bureau, others should be aware of how you handle bad reviews!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
9 Thank Bonnie B
Jim T, Owner at Fox Hill RV Park & Campground, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for sharing your perspective. We survey all our guests and of the 230 responses so far this summer, 216 guests or 95% indicated they would "recommend Fox Hill to a friend", eight guests were "not sure" they would recommend us, and three people said "they would not recommend" Fox Hill. This reviewer was one of the three who would not recommend us. We think the facts speak for themself and we would happy to share our survey responses with anyone who would like more detail.

If you visit our website you can see a sample of the comments that are typical from guests that visit Fox Hill RV Park & Campground. As for the claim that we engage in "Shady business practices," we would not have been in business for over 30 years and have a large base of loyal of guests if that were true. Finally, we never asked anyone to remove a review, but we did ask other members of this guest's group to post their review of the weekend. We encourage you to review the posting above "Wonderful Campground" for another perspective on how we treated Bonnie's group.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
West Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had a great time at Fox Hill! We have taken our family of 5 their for the past couple of years and we love this campground. It is THE cleanest campground I have ever stayed at, they must clean the bathrooms a dozen times a day. Facilities are well maintained, the maintenance crew there does a tremendous job keeping the facilities looking and working flawlessly. The location is ideal with a multitude of things to do. This is family camping at its best.

1 Thank Jeff D
Winneconne, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We have held our very large family reunion at Fox Hills for five years and absolutely LOVE this park. It is clean, affordable, family friendly and very well run. Their staff has always been warm and welcoming to our group so we look forward to returning every year. It is the perfect spot if you are looking for a place to gather that everyone can afford. I would disagree with some of the other comments posted regarding Fox Hills. We have always enjoyed the campfires at night and have many "20-30 something" members in our family that linger to visit without being reprimanded by anyone on the grounds. Go and enjoy, be respectful of your neighboring campers and you will find Fox Hills to be a great way to enjoy a Wisconsin get away in a family friendly environment. The location is ideal for those wanting to enjoy the attractions in the Dells or Devil's Lake State park. Something for everyone. Molly J.

Room Tip: Cabin 9 and 10 are close to the green space and the pavillion. Cabin 10 is roomy too.
2 Thank Molly J
Crystal Lake, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

If you are looking for a place to get away from it all, or be able to do it all, then you have found it at Fox Hill RV Park. Whether you want to relax by your fire, where firewood is delivered directly to your spotless, well maintained site, or take a dip in the immaculate pool, you will never run out of fun things to do. We have been visiting for several years now and Jim, Helen , and all the staff, have become our Wisconsin family.
Our kids are grown and gone, but we love to watch the little ones enjoying the train ride around the park or riding the pedal cars here and there. Our chubby beagle loves to walk the two nature trails right inside the park and also visit the enclosed doggy area where she can play off leash. There is never a shortage of activities to join. There is often a DJ on Saturdays nights to dance to, shirts to tie-dye, an ice cream social and waffle breakfast. We have visited many campgrounds thru the years, and we have never found one where the bathrooms and showers were so clean no matter when you use them. Any request you have is attended to immediately. If you are not a tenter or camper, there are beautiful cabins to rent also.
Ask the friendly staff in the office for suggestions of hundreds of things to do in the short drive into the Dells. They will even include some valuable coupons for the favorite activities. We have brought many family members with us and usually book our next visit before we leave. I cannot say enough about this park and when we are ready, we will certainly get on the list for a permanent site!

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, consider yourself notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, use, or reliance on this transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Please destroy this transmission in any format and notify the sender, if you received this transmission in error. Thank you.

1 Thank Gloria K
Lake Forest, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

We booked approx 30 sites for our annual Fathers Day camping trip. Close to a 100 campers with kids. Kids had a blast renting pedal bikes and buying trinkets and ice cream from the on site convenience store. Dads purchased multitudes of Ice, Fire Wood, and other conveniences for some fun evening camp activity. We were told on arrival that quiet hours began at 11 PM. The Sat night of our trip at about 9:30 PM things went bad - A group of our Dads were listening to a sports game on the car radio and were approached by an agitated female who I believe is the owner. She basically told us to shut the bleep up or we would be asked to leave immediately. I don't know about anyone else, but as a business owner I would never bite the hand that feeds me. Needless to say - Our group will not be returning ever again after being disrespected like that. This owner obviously does not appreciate her customers and the hospitality business is not her gig.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Trevian1111
Jim T, Owner at Fox Hill RV Park & Campground, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your visit. Your opinion is very important to us and we are sorry you were disappointed in our service. We take all complaints very seriously. It was unfortunate that your group was loud and other campers contacted the manager about the noise. We promise all our guests a quiet relaxing stay and the campground was very full Father's day weekend. My manager did ask your group several times to quite down and respect our other guests. I am sorry if you felt she was rude, but we try to treat all our guest with respect and ask that they in return respect our campground policies.
Bloomington, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Bathrooms were cleaned hourly and if it wasn't for the usual slobs that seem to show up the bathrooms would have been spotless. Staff was friendly and helpful. Plenty to do there and nearby. Lots of nice shady camp spots with good hookups as well as spots for the monster rigs. Close to the interstate but far enough away that you wouldn't know that.

Room Tip: All sorts of campsites as well as cabins. No need to stay at a motel when you can be in the woods.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

We discovered Fox Hill about 4 years ago and continue to return. There are even friends and family that have come with us and now they love to camp there too!

Fox Hill is very close to Water Parks and other attractions in the Dells/Baraboo area. The park has the cleanest bathroom/shower facilities we've ever seen and the staff is the friendliest ever! They would do anything for you!

On weekends, there are activities for the family to enjoy such as tie dyeing of tee-shirts, making ice cream, hay ride, DJ and breakfast on Sunday morning.

There is a pool and a playground for the kiddo's. A pavilion is there if you're bringing a group and would like to have a picnic or gathering. If you need firewood, they will even deliver to your campsite.

Our friends have rented a cabin and they absolutely love it! They like the outdoors, but the conveniences of a hotel room. There is a bathroom and kitchenette so they can make some of their meals and still have the outdoor atmosphere.

There are so many nice things to say about this well maintained campground that I could type all day! See for yourself next time you're in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Monika P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baraboo
BEST WESTERN Baraboo Inn
Ho-Chunk Casino Hotel and Convention Center
Polynesian Resort Hotel
Polynesian Resort Hotel
#54 of 72 in Wisconsin Dells
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Wisconsin Dells
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Wiscons...
#22 of 72 in Wisconsin Dells
Arrowhead RV Resort
Arrowhead RV Resort
#2 of 23 in Wisconsin Dells
Edge-O-Dells Resort
Edge-O-Dells Resort
#9 of 23 in Wisconsin Dells

Been to Fox Hill RV Park & Campground? Share your experiences!