“A nice alternative to expensive resorts.”

Clarion Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Baraboo
U.S.
“A nice alternative to expensive resorts.”
Reviewed July 19, 2009

My boyfriend and I were planning to kick around in the Dells for a couple of days, but were not going to be visiting any of the water parks. We decided to forego the resorts and all of their amenities that we wouldn't be using in favor of something a bit cheaper. We were very happy with the Clarion. It was very clean, comfortable, and quiet. My only complaint was that the bathroom was very small. On the other hand, we were both very impressed with the shower. We are both quite tall and it is rare for us to find a shower that has a showerhead that is actually above our heads if we stand up straight. A little thing that wouldn't even be noticed by both, but we were thrilled. It was a short and easy drive to the Dells. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Wisconsin
Reviewed May 19, 2009

First of all I was greeted by Jason on the phone who was more than personable. Every time I called after that I was greeted pleasantly. I read wonderful reviews online which first attracted me to the hotel. I got a great rate, but beyond that I loved that I was treated so politely and not transferred or treated like a number. Check-in was smooth. My room was clean and pleasant. I had everything I needed. The hotel had a nice pool, work-out room, restaurant. Location was perfect. Right next to Kwik trip and lots of restaurants - fast food and family restaurants and not far from Wal-Mart. It is a short drive to the Dells. I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone. I already have. The personal touch makes all the difference. Your staff is wonderful.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Chicago IL
Reviewed February 15, 2009

Upon driving up to the hotel, it does not look like much nor does the neighborhood. But i was pleasantly surprised by the friendly staff and the cleanliness of the facilities. We checked in few hours early with no problems. We decided to take a dip in the whirlpool facilities in the pool area. Great whirlpool! Very clean, nice pool and steam room. It was painted with a Roman bathhouse decor and complimentary towels and water were provided.

We had booked the valentine's day vacay package with two tickets to Devil's head ski resort. The distance from the hotel to resort was convenient, about 15 to 20 minutes tops. It was a perfect place for staying for a short overnight trip for snowboarding/skiing.

On the second day, we used a coupon provided by the hotel package to dine at the adjacent restaurant glacier rock. Glacier Rock was surprisingly awesome. While it looks like a regular hotel bar, the dinner provided was excellent! I suggest eating the duck tenderloin appetizer. It was very delicious. The pizza was so-so, but the prime rib sandwich was above average. Overall, it was an excellent trip. My girlfriend enjoyed it and we will be returning if planning another overnight stay.

The complimentary continental breakfast was better than expected. Cereal was provided along with poppy seed lemon muffins, fresh fruit and hot eggs and french toast. The business center was clean with internet connectivity and free printing. All rooms also have free wifi.

The only complaint about this place is the manager. The manager was not a nice man and provided horrible customer service when asked some questions about my bill. If you buy a package deal at this hotel, be aware that they will charge a 11% hotel occupancy tax on your entire package instead of applying it just to the part of the package that contains your room price. Considering the tax, once you break down the items, there was no need to purchase a packaged deal.

It is a short distance from Ho Chunk casino. If you decide to go and gamble, do NOT eat at the buffet restaurant on premises. It was by far the worst food experience my girlfriend and I have ever had. Everything was deep fried and it was stale from having been out all day. The food tasted like it had been sitting out for days. The cheesecake desserts had a film of hardened food over it, it was shocking to see that it was still being served. The seafood served tasted foul and there was absolutely nothing redeeming about the place.

• Liked — whirlpool and cleanliness of the room
  • Disliked — manager's rude customer service
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank justinhlee
Germantown, WI
Reviewed January 2, 2009

We had stayed here a couple years ago when it was Park Plaza. It was nice then but now it is exceptional. Our New Years Eve plans were cancelled with short notice so I was calling around to random hotels and remembered that we had stayed there before and were pleased so I called. We got an amazing deal on a whirlpool room. The whirlpool was a real hot tub (which was EXACTLY what I wanted), the bed was really nice, the comforter was some kind of feather and VERY NICE, the pillows were feather pillows (another plus), the room was extremely clean, the staff was beyond friendly. They even called a couple hours after we had checked in to make sure everything was how we wanted it and to make sure we didn't need anything. It was great location-wise with restaurants, bars, gas stations and the casino near by. We left the hotel talking about playing another stay right away. Thank you Clarion for an amazing stay!!!!

• Liked — The staff was very helpful and incredibly nice!
  • Disliked — I was impressed everywhere I turned, our hot tub was a little small but still VERY nice!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Babygirlbal1
Rockford,Illinois
Reviewed December 19, 2008

We go hiking every year at devils lake state park. This year I couldnt camp due to an injury. so we booked a room at this hotel and I must say if you need a hotel close to the park and a great hotel room this is the place.also the kids loved the pool we normally dont get to swim this time of year. will go back here next year instead of tenting it what a great week end!

• Liked — I was hurt in an acccident before I booked the room and they went out of the way to make my vist comfortable good parking close to room and easy access to room and building.
  • Disliked — The bath room was really small but ok.
  • Stayed October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Hiker24
Daphne, Alabama
Reviewed June 21, 2008

Due to flooding in the area, I felt bad when I checked in with a reservation and other people had been evacuted from their homes and had nowhere to stay. The front desk staff was always very helpful, but from the lobby you have to walk down a long and short hallway just to get to the elevators. That was ok because it meant all the rooms were far from the busy road in front of the hotel. Our room had the smallest bathroom I've ever seen in a hotel - a toilet and tub/shower and the door could hardly close, the sink was in the entryway. Other rooms we saw the next day when housekeeping had the doors open had standard bathroom sizes with the sink included.

This is an older property that shows it's age and has musty smells in the public areas more so than inside the room. A previous reviewer had noted the funky wall a/c units not typically seen in hotel rooms, so I was aware of that. No problems with it and the beds were comfortable. I had called ahead to order a refrigerator in my standard room and was told there would be a $5 charge even though I'm a GoldPoints Plus member. I realized after check-out that I hadn't been charged. The on-site restaurant was very good, we hadn't planned to eat dinner there but with the torrential rains, that's what we did.

Stayed June 2008

Travelers are raving about these Baraboo hotels

wilmot, wi
Reviewed October 10, 2007

We were looking for a cheap, one night stay at a hotel in the Baraboo area. We found Park Plaza. It was a great rate and the hotel is your basic hotel. Our room was clean with the exception of stains on the floor and desk chair. Our biggest complaint was they have an air conditioning unit that sticks out of the wall. The room above has the same thing. The A/C unit in the room above us was dripping water onto our A/C unit all night long, so there was a metal "ting-ting-ting" noise happening all night. We told the front desk about it in the morning and they acted like they had never heard of such a thing before.
We checked out the free continental breakfast and decided to go elsewhere where we'd have a larger selection.
We probably won't stay here again even if we do have to spend more money elsewhere.

• Liked — Price
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dolly2377
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baraboo
Best Western Baraboo Inn
Campus Inn Motel
Campus Inn Motel
#7 of 10 in Baraboo
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Suites
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Su...
#4 of 73 in Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
#17 of 73 in Wisconsin Dells

Been to Clarion Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!