“Suggestion - Stay accross the street!”

Clarion Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Baraboo
Reviewed July 30, 2014

This is a very dated hotel in need of a major renovation project. Handicap rooms were small with no room for wheelchairs or walkers. Bathroom had very short toilets, making it difficult for an older person with disabilities. Carpets were so dirty, it looked like they have not been changed for 30 years. There are not very many hotel options available in this town to choose from. We booked two rooms for two nights, with one being handicap for my parents. After looking at the rooms, we decided to stay in the hotel across the street which was more bright, clean and modern. Unfortunately, the other hotel did not have a handicap room available. The front desk clerk was not very friendly and had a really bad attitude when we decided we were not going to stay there and was going to charge a cancellation fee. However, Mark, the Manager, was a very nice guy and made things right.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Jeff60468
There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel and Convention Center

Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

I read reviews before we stayed here regarding the breakfast buffet but I did it anyways..bad idea and waste of money!!! The scrambled eggs were rubber, the bacon was hard, bananas looked gray ..they should not be charging for breakfast!! Free continental breakfasts that I've had are way better. The room was nice, bathroom tiny and loud air conditioner. The pillows were nice though and the water pressure was good. I'd stay here again but go somewhere else for breakfast!!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 7, 2014

This hotel was just an add on to our weekend. Our room was really nice and clean, but no microwave. Internet is nonexistent there, but that seems to be Baraboo anywhere you go. The workout room was dismal with no dumbbells, so I made due without. The coolest part was the pool, except the kids didn't get to swim, but WOW! They thought it was really cool looking.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank MaraGollin
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My wife and I had a get away for our 40th wedding anniversary. Our room was very comfortable and the room was very clean. Free high speed internet was advertised but when I tried to log on it would charge $3.00 for connection. I too was disappointed with the breakfast. When we checked in we were given coupons for $2.00 off of $6.99 breakfasts. When we left we were charged $7.99 each minus the $2.00 coupon. Overall I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marlin M
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times in recent years and always appreciated the fact that a free breakfast buffet was included in the price of the room. Upon checking in this time (June 2014) I was shocked to be told that breakfast now was $6.99, though a $2-off coupon was provided. Even worse, it turned out that my glass of orange juice was not included in the quoted price! I will definitely be seeking other accommodations in the area the next time I visit Baraboo. While it is true that the website no longer advertises a free breakfast, as a regular customer it did not occur to me to reevaluate the amenities list for a place I had stayed multiple times before. Other than this disappointment, the room was clean and comfortable as usual and the attached restaurant continues to provide very good food.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Brucewashere_17
Reviewed June 23, 2014

As a long standing member of Choice Hotels I was very pleased with the room we had but totally dismayed by the restaurant and breakfast options. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant and while the food was okay, it was not worth the price and certainly not the quality you would expect from the quality of the establishment. I was most dismayed by the breakfast. Choice Hotels should offer free breakfast to its guests especially when the room cost was higher than normal. Here however you had to pay for a buffet breakfast that offered not one item more than any Comfort Inn or Clarion and the quality of the eggs, gravy and meat was not at all as good as most Choice Hotels I have stayed at. Then to add insult to injury, a hotel chain that promises free coffee 24/7 charged us over $2.00 a cup for breakfast coffee and all beverages were at a price above the breakfast which should have been free to begin with.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank james c
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Not a bad place, but don't expect a lot of frills. Room was decent sized. The pool area was good. The steam room was a nice surprise too. It's an older hotel and not upscale. Know this going in and you will be pleased. There is a decent restaurant on site too.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baraboo
Best Western Baraboo Inn
Campus Inn Motel
Campus Inn Motel
#8 of 11 in Baraboo
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Suites
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Su...
#5 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
#23 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells

Been to Clarion Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!