“Don't get the breakfast!”

Clarion Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Baraboo
Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

I read reviews before we stayed here regarding the breakfast buffet but I did it anyways..bad idea and waste of money!!! The scrambled eggs were rubber, the bacon was hard, bananas looked gray ..they should not be charging for breakfast!! Free continental breakfasts that I've had are way better. The room was nice, bathroom tiny and loud air conditioner. The pillows were nice though and the water pressure was good. I'd stay here again but go somewhere else for breakfast!!

• Stayed: July 2014
There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel and Convention Center

Reviewed July 7, 2014

This hotel was just an add on to our weekend. Our room was really nice and clean, but no microwave. Internet is nonexistent there, but that seems to be Baraboo anywhere you go. The workout room was dismal with no dumbbells, so I made due without. The coolest part was the pool, except the kids didn't get to swim, but WOW! They thought it was really cool looking.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank MaraGollin
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My wife and I had a get away for our 40th wedding anniversary. Our room was very comfortable and the room was very clean. Free high speed internet was advertised but when I tried to log on it would charge $3.00 for connection. I too was disappointed with the breakfast. When we checked in we were given coupons for $2.00 off of $6.99 breakfasts. When we left we were charged $7.99 each minus the $2.00 coupon. Overall I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marlin M
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times in recent years and always appreciated the fact that a free breakfast buffet was included in the price of the room. Upon checking in this time (June 2014) I was shocked to be told that breakfast now was $6.99, though a $2-off coupon was provided. Even worse, it turned out that my glass of orange juice was not included in the quoted price! I will definitely be seeking other accommodations in the area the next time I visit Baraboo. While it is true that the website no longer advertises a free breakfast, as a regular customer it did not occur to me to reevaluate the amenities list for a place I had stayed multiple times before. Other than this disappointment, the room was clean and comfortable as usual and the attached restaurant continues to provide very good food.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Brucewashere_17
Reviewed June 23, 2014

As a long standing member of Choice Hotels I was very pleased with the room we had but totally dismayed by the restaurant and breakfast options. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant and while the food was okay, it was not worth the price and certainly not the quality you would expect from the quality of the establishment. I was most dismayed by the breakfast. Choice Hotels should offer free breakfast to its guests especially when the room cost was higher than normal. Here however you had to pay for a buffet breakfast that offered not one item more than any Comfort Inn or Clarion and the quality of the eggs, gravy and meat was not at all as good as most Choice Hotels I have stayed at. Then to add insult to injury, a hotel chain that promises free coffee 24/7 charged us over $2.00 a cup for breakfast coffee and all beverages were at a price above the breakfast which should have been free to begin with.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank james c
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Not a bad place, but don't expect a lot of frills. Room was decent sized. The pool area was good. The steam room was a nice surprise too. It's an older hotel and not upscale. Know this going in and you will be pleased. There is a decent restaurant on site too.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2014

This hotel was alright. Not the best and not the worst. I liked the price... Not 100 to 200 dollars per night. The location was in close proximity to restaurants, and popular attractions in Baraboo, such as, Circus World Museum; The Al Ringling House; The Al Ringling Theater; The International Crane Foundation; The Mid-Continent Railway Museum.
As for the hotel, the 2 double beds felt as if I were laying on the floor... (I tried each bed). The hotel however provided extra blankets in the closet. I fluffed them up, and put them on the mattress, thus making the beds much more comfortable. The refrigerator was awkwardly positioned in the closet. Opening and shutting the fridge door was interesting, but I liked the fact that they offered a fridge since no meals were included with the stay. The air conditioner was noisy, but worked well. The bathrooms were tiny but clean upon arrival. The room was musty, but that was remedied when I opened the windows. The one and only real complaint was the paper thin walls. Everything could be heard in the rooms adjoined to ours. A previous guest had set an alarm clock for 5am, and it went off when we were trying to sleep. There was no one in that room to turn it off. I had to call the front desk to turn it off. The person at the front desk was very prompt, and immediately took care of the problem. In fairness to this hotel, the thin walls and mustiness are not an exclusive problem to this hotel. Some of the pricier hotels/motels have the same issues, with no fridge, and no included meals. I would recommend this hotel for people who want a cheap place to stay in Baraboo.

Room Tip: This hotel is approximately an 18 minute drive from the Dells Strip. It is not in the heart of the D...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank jcpjewels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baraboo
Best Western Baraboo Inn
Campus Inn Motel
Campus Inn Motel
#8 of 11 in Baraboo
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Suites
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Su...
#5 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
#23 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells

Been to Clarion Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!