“GOOD CHOICE - PET FRIENDLY”

Clarion Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Baraboo
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Went up for a week-end tour with the car club. This was a good place to stay because they would allow pets (of course for an extra fee). Parking was more than adequate and room was clean. Attached restaurant was decent and you could get a reduced cost meal (breakfast) with your room.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with a microwave and refrigerator.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel and Convention Center

Reviewed August 19, 2013

This hotel has about all the amenities you would desire in hotel truthfully. It is on a main thoroughfare, has a restaurant, close to other restaurants, bars, gas stations, pharmacies and banks. The main entrance was difficult to get out of because of traffic, had to turn right and do a U turn. Later I discovered the road behind the hotel was much easier to use to get in and out of the parking lot. The main reason I wouldn't stay here again would be their no guns or weapons allowed policy. Its a matter of principal I guess as a hunter/sportsman. My stay was fine, I wasn't hunting on this visit, but I remember things like this, and I do travel a bit to hunt.

Check in was easy, no problems, I called the day before and made reservations. We stayed in room #115, it was on the lower level, non smoking like all their rooms. This room was just around the corner, 2 rooms in from the door. Vending machines and ice were at the entrance. The bathroom and the toilet in general seemed a little small. The light in the bathroom was slow to come on, but not a big deal. The tub drained slow as well. On a bright note, good water pressure, and plenty of hot water when we needed. There was a bit of paint peeling in the corner of the bathroom, and some rust and water stains on the drop ceiling in the bathroom as well, but this really didn't effect the stay in any way.

The main room was fine, had two queen beds, a nice flat screen tv, small desk/table to sit at, a chair with ottoman, and a closet like thing with full length mirrors, the down side to closet thing is that the air conditioner is partially blocked by it. We didn't notice much noise from other patrons until the morning when a dog was barking from a room across the hall and down one door. The hotel is pet friendly, but not gun friendly. They did have wifi, it worked fine, but I didn't understand why the front desk personnel didn't give me the password and instructions upon checking in. I had to call front desk once I got into the room to get this information. As long as you aren't on hunting trip in Baraboo, WI this isn't a bad place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 3duckdave
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I just returned from a conference and spent 3 nights in Baraboo. The first night I did not stay at the Clarion because an earlier review described strong smells from room cleaners or fresheners, I came to the Clarion the second night because the smoke in the hotel hallways at Ho-Chunk was awful. We also had constant milder smoke smell in the hotel room (see that review which gives more detail including efforts by the hotel to help). I never experienced any problem at the Clarion from odors/scents. And my asthma makes me very susceptible to these..Maybe the earlier reviewer's room was near the pool and experienced chlorine smells (I don't know this exists) but I wasn't aware of anything in my room. The staff at the Clarion was very friendly, although somewhat inexperienced. They had a great recommendation for a good restaurant. I will definitely stay at this hotel if I return to Baraboo.

Room Tip: The last day we found out that they allow pets so ask to have a pet free room if you're allergic...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We booked and stayed the past weekend in the family suite. We shared the room with our family. We had 4 adults and three young children. The suite has two rooms with a king bed in one and a queen with sofa sleeper in the other. It worked very well for sleeping arrangements. We liked having a tv in each room. Would have preferred two bathrooms but the one was spacious and worked for us. It was a quiet stay. We had other family members also staying there. We were close to all the events we had planned together. The only recommendation is that the pool seemed to have too many chemicals. Our youngsters were affected by it and some adults could feel the effects in the air. The pool and hot tub area was clean and well lit with plenty of towels.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2013

As a corporate 100 night a year traveler I use a pretty strict review system. Check in was ok, 1 person working the desk and phones at peak check in 6:00 pm. Had reserved the standard 2 bed room and was never offered any upgrades even though I am a gold member. Was actually given a room 1 door away from the swimming pool and behind the elavator. I can only think of how many families asked to be close to the pool and were placed elsewhere, I was going to call down and ask for another room but the phone did not work....Room was nice size, T.V. was a 32" flat panel, bed was ok, room was clean and air conditioner was located behind the closet so it took forever to cool off. Overall rating 6.5

Room Tip: I usually ask for a upper floor end of the hall.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had a very good experience at this hotel. The staff were extremely polite and the room was very clean. We got the suite for 3 adults and one 3 year old and it worked out perfectly--there's a queen bed in the main room, where my mom slept, and my husband and I had the double bed in the other room, where our son slept on the pull out couch. We didn't go to the restaurant. The hotel is in a great location for the North Freedom Railway Museum and for the International Crane Foundation, and is a quick drive from downtown Baraboo. The rooms have window AC, and the units are noisy but functional.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Very conveniently located, just a short drive from Wisconsin Dells. Staff were all very friendly and the information handed out at check in was very thorough. Easy access to their free Wi-Fi. To top it off, the coffee in the room was very good. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lovetodance2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baraboo
Best Western Baraboo Inn
Campus Inn Motel
Campus Inn Motel
#8 of 11 in Baraboo
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Suites
Best Western Ambassador Inn & Su...
#5 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
Ramada Wisconsin Dells
#24 of 75 in Wisconsin Dells

Been to Clarion Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!