“Great value, great staff”

Clarion Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Baraboo
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We recently stayed four nights at this property and were very pleased. My reason for choosing it initially was that the Wisconsin Dells hotel prices were higher than I wanted to pay. Baraboo is just a short drive to the Dells, and it's also close to some of the other activities we'd planned, including Circus World and the Ho Chunk Casino. We had three rooms on two reservations, and the hotel was able to put us close together as requested. Any needs we had were met quickly and efficiently (we rented a small fridge). Breakfast was a full American buffet with bacon, eggs, waffles, fruit, etc, all included in the reasonable price. And when my van a/c broke down the hotel staff recommended a local independent mechanic (I think his name was Mike Ott) who picked up the van, fixed the problem, delivered the van back to me, and charged a very reasonable price for all this. If I had any one small complaint about the hotel it was that the air/conditioning in the rooms seems to be set on a timer, and we got a little warm by the time we got up in the morning. It wasn't bad enough for me to complain about, but on a really hot night you might want to bring it up--or get a separate fan to keep things cooled down. SWIMMING POOL AND JACUZZI WERE WONDERFUL!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed July 10, 2012

My room had a feel of being dirty and old. The furniture was stained and old and I could force myself to sit on it even after I put a blanket over it. Housekeeping really didn't clean your room, they just emptied garbage and made the bed. The first night I was there, I had some other man's shaving reminisce in my sink; the days to follow, toothpaste reminisce. This tells me they did not clean my bathroom!

The a/c are wall units and they did not work. It was very hot the week of July 4th through the 7th and it was awful staying there! If the Best Western across the street wasn't booked solid, I would have moved over there.

This is a two start hotel that charges like they are three star hotel.

I will never stay here again, and I will never recommend anyone to stay.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you don't have too!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This hotel was clean and well-staffed. It is about 7 miles from the Dells main attractions, but is very close to Circus World museum. For the value, I would recommend it. It includes a breakfast buffet with egg dishes, made-to-order waffles, pastries and more. The indoor pool room on the fourth floor was so hot during our stay, I could not use it. There are three exercise machines in an exercise room as well. The bar had a nice selection of local Wisconsin beers.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2012

There was a wedding on the night I checked in, and the hotel was sold out. My room was very well-kept and clean, and service was outstanding. I thought I could give it a 100% rating, but then someone broke into my room at 12:30 a.m. -- while I was sleeping in the room and the lights were on. There were also skateboarders making a lot of noise in the parking lot late at night, and what sounded like someone moving cables in the wall very late at night. Wifi was spotty but the in-house restaurant was good. I didn't think the breakfast was very impressive for the cost of the hotel.

The night of the intrusion, I found out that their security cameras are few and far between. There must be a lot of keys to rooms floating around a place that big, and a lot of tourists for anyone looking to victimize somebody. I reported the break-in to the front desk and local police, and hope that they'll figure out what's going on for the sake of their guests. But the hotel needs to take more precautions. For the money this hotel rakes in (it's over $100 per night, and the place is huge), they should really invest in a better security camera system and maybe even put a guard in the parking lot during the busy season. The guard could at minimum chase the skateboarders away, as they're very loud, even a traffic hazard.

Earlier in the day at a local laundromat, a lady was talking with her daughters about how they'd like to steal my clothes out of the washing machines. I don't like areas where a crime culture surrounds the tourist trade, but apparently Baraboo now has that problem. Visitors to Baraboo and the Dells should take precautions.

Room Tip: Lean an ironing board against the door so that it'll make a noise if someone tries to enter with...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank DataTravels
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Very nice hotel, clean rooms with comfy bed and lcd LG tv.

Great continential breakfast!!

Free wifi, parking, huge pool with hottub :)

15-20min drive from major wisconsin dells attractions, no shuttle service

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We stayed here 1 night and found it to be just an average hotel. The room was rather small, amenities were few, and the price was higher than warranted. It is an aging hotel showing it's age.

In Baraboo, however, it may be the best there is.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank johndeereguy59
Reviewed May 25, 2012

First time staying at a Clarion and was very pleased with the experience. Located a few miles from the Interstate away from WI Dells, but in my opinion that is a plus. We were able to ride into the Dells without trouble as hotel is located on the same road (HWY 12). There we lots of events going on in town and traffic as expected so it was nice to come back to the hotel and be away from all that.

The staff were all very pleasant and helpful with directions. The rooms were very comfortable in size and very well maintained for what seems to be an older building. The breakfast area was maintained well and clean and the food itself was decent and restocked constantly. There was a pool and hot tub at the hotel, but we did not have enough time to enjoy these on this visit.

This place will be on my top list for the area when looking for great bargains, service and peacefulness at the end of the night.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baraboo
Best Western Baraboo Inn
Devils Head Resort
Devils Head Resort
#1 of 1 in Merrimac
Hampton Inn & Suites at Wisconsin Dells Lake Delton
Hampton Inn & Suites at Wisconsi...
#7 of 74 in Wisconsin Dells

Been to Clarion Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!