“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Red Wing, Minnesota
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

My husband, myself and another couple decided to stay here for a relaxing weekend get away, Our friends booked a one room fireplace suite on the second floor and we reserved the handicap executive fireplace suite on the first floor.
We were in the process of checking in, the young lady checking us in had already given us the keys and I was filling out the vehicle information when I noticed the rate was less than what we had reserved the room for. I inquired about the price difference and she did not have a response. She left and returned with another woman who did not introduce herself but I am guessing she was the manager. She was neither friendly or apologetic but stated that the gentleman who had stayed in that room the night before had requested to extend his stay, he was not in good health and he needed that room. She had decided to give us the standard queen room.
I was in disbelief that she would do this without our knowledge. They had both my email address and telephone number and could have contacted me to explain the situation and let me choose another room. She then started searching for another available room. She asked if we wanted a whirlpool room and I said no we would not use the whirlpool.She said there was one other fireplace suite on the second floor in the back corner. They do not have an elevator and my husband has difficullty walking so that was not an option She ended up choosing for us a non handicap whirlpool room with a king bed. She also did give us the room for half price but that did not change the fact that the room we ended up with was not what we would have chosen ourselves. We did not use the whirlpool and when our friends came to our room two of us had to sit on the bed because there were only two chairs in the room.
I did go up to see our friends suite and it was great. It was very large with a sofa and arm chair, table with two chairs, long counter with large refrigerator and a fireplace.
This is a very nice hotel and the rest of the staff we encountered were very friendly but because of our experience I would not recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BPete5
AndrewDyb, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Baldwin, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Here at Americinn we would hope everyone would have a wonderful stay and leave like they cannot wait to come back. I am so sorry your stay was less than expected. Unfortunately unforeseen circumstances sometimes arise and there is disappointed. I know that even with a free night it did not make up for the fireplace you had wanted in your room. That is why we told you we would be sending a gift certificate to come back and enjoy a fireplace room on us. We do hope you take that opportunity to let our hotel make it up to you. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you feel, as these comments help us all do our best to improve our guests stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Nekoosa, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

This hotel was very nice, clean, comfortable bed, great breakfast. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Rates were reasonable for the location and cleanliness of the rooms. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank WisconsinGirl2013
Princeton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

The AmericInn of Baldwin was very nice. The front staff was friendly and professional. They even let us have an early check in! The lobby area is comfortable and the breakfast was great.
We did have some issues with the sound traveling through the walls. I am not sure why. We could hear people in the next room running water for their tub or whirlpool or something. I thought it odd at the time, but we just shrugged it off.
Also we had to go around and plug in the lamps to get them to come on. There were also some cobwebs. I didn't see any spiders, and I am glad because that would have creeped me out.
Overall - I really liked our stay and would definitely stay again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with AmericInn Hotels and Suites

1 Thank Audrey M
Kingsford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed 2 weeks at the AmericInn Lodge & Suites in Baldwin, WI and was extremely happy and super impressed this stay over other times I've stayed. The person who cleaned my room during my stay did an OUSTANDING job. I have never been so impressed. The staff has always been friendly, very helpful, and down to earth. This time around the extra to accommodate such a long stay was very much appreciated and I can't thank them enough. KUDOS to the staff and to the person cleaning my room, I give a standing applause!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with AmericInn Hotels and Suites

1 Thank Debbie L
Conover, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

We were returning home from visiting family in SD where I had broken my ankle. My husband went in and requested a room on the first floor explaining about my injury. The young woman at the desk, named Abbie, offered to give us the room for people with disabilities. It was so nice of her to think of that. The room was nice and clean and I did not have to go too far on the crutches. That is good excellent customer service. Thank you Abbie!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dmpemt
Bismarck
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

I alwasy look for AmericInn Hotels when i travel because their hot breakfast at 6:00. I drove from Shawano and didn't want to go through the Cities so the location of this hotel is great. Food is limited to mcDonald's Hardee's and A&W but got in late enough didn't care. One thisng they should do is get some lighting on their driveway. Looks like our leaving town to get there. Only room left was a 'suite' which is misleading because all it means is that there is a microwave and refrigerator for addtional cost. The prices in the room said the room was $99.90 but my bill was $148. Asked why the difference and the clerk said it was weekend rates. Baldwin is not in my opeion a vacation hotspot so and extra $40+ a night is a little gouging. On the bright side, the breakfast was excellent. Even had biscuits and gravy.

Room Tip: I was on the first floor and nice a quiet. Other guests were complaining because of the drunk const...