“Great food!”

Harbor Fish Market and Grille
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Distinctive waterfront dining in the heart of Door County. Serving breakfast, lunch & dinner seven days a week spring through fall. Outdoor, garden, waterfront dining in season. Healthy kids' menu. Full bar with exceptional wine list. Creative menu using locally sourced ingredients. Great gluten free and vegetarian options. Wonderful historic building right on the water in downtown Baileys Harbor, Door County, Wisconsin. Reservations encouraged and can be made on our Facebook page or on our website.
Reviewed October 12, 2013

First of all, we had a few drinks in the bar. You HAVE to try the Cherry Bounce! It's great and its been aging for 14 years! Ask Carl? to tell you his story about the Cherry Bounce! Once seating in the dining room we had the Maytag salad. I don't think salads get any better than this! Delish! I ordered the Chilean Sea Bass special any my BF ordered the tuna. Both of our meals were super super good!

Karen B, Owner at Harbor Fish Market and Grille, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

We loved reading your review! Thanks so much! Carl will be so happy to hear that you enjoyed his fabulous Cherry Bounce! As always, the support of our customers is hugely important and necessary to our business -- and we love the fact that you took the time to write a review here. Thank you! Please come and see us again very soon!

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Stop by to have lunch which we had done a few times before over the last year. They were very busy which we thought was great for their business until we got served. My wife asked for no extra seasoning or salt on her chicken salad. The item was the special for the day to be served on a piece of grilled lettuce stalk?? Yikes! The chicken strips were bone white, rubbery and were not grilled. They were microwaved! The lettuce stalk was like seaweed you could not hope to cut or eat.
We called the waiter over, explained the problem in a nice calm and friendly way, and he had to check with management to see if anything could be done?? After checking, he said they would take it back and give her chicken pieces in a regular salad mixture but we got the impression they really didn't want to do it. The new salad still had the same type of chicken in it which we are 99% sure is microwaved making it tough and certainly not grilled.
I will say my hamburger was very good as were the fries. The huge disappointment was, after dropping a fair amount of money for the "special of the day", we got the cold shoulder. Not a good idea in our book.
Nevertheless, we wish them well but will no longer return. That's a shame since they were once a really great place to get great food.

2  Thank Carl - Kathleen R
Karen B, Owner at Harbor Fish Market and Grille, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review here. It certainly does not sound like you had the type of experience we would want you to have and I apologize for the difficulty you encountered. I will find out who your server was and discuss how we could have better handled your concerns. Also, we don't use a microwave for the chicken or for any of our foods here. They are grilled strips but the other day our executive chef noticed that the day kitchen staff was not grilling them to the golden color that we like -- rather they were grilled the chicken breasts quickly and then sauteing the strips in a chicken broth/oil mixture in order to cook more of them at a time. We all decided that it was not a good idea -- and that we like them better grilled as previously -- so they have returned to that. The salad you originally received was something they created including grilled romaine lettuce and fresh vegetables and was well received by our customers overall. But, I will take an extra look at that salad before we serve it again -- and will reinforce the need to grill the chicken breasts to a more golden brown. I am really glad that you enjoyed your burger entree. It is disappointing that you enjoyed many meals here before but will not be returning. I sincerely hope that you will reconsider. And, please be assured, that your comments have been discussed by all of us. I would be happy to discuss this further with you -- if you desire. My personal email is berndt.karen@gmail.com. Again, thank you for helping us to improve our service and food.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Harbor Fish Market & Grille is located in the heart of downtown Baileys Harbor, WI. We arrived just before noon and were seated immediately at a table with a view of Lake Michigan. It was very difficult deciding what to order for lunch because everything sounded so delicious and the food coming out of the kitchen looked amazing. After quizzing our knowledgeable waitress, Mary, it was down to quiche or a walleye cake sandwich. I decided to go for the fish cake with home made potato salad and I was hugely rewarded! We topped off our meal with a large steaming mug of coffee and we shared the Door County cherry bread pudding. I can't decide which was better; the dessert itself or the presentation, both of which were outstanding.
While we dined we watched boats going by and a sailboarder out enjoying the unseasonably warm October day.
Do yourself a favor and dine at the very popular Harbor Fish Market & Grille when visiting Baileys Harbor on the beautiful Door Penninsula.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us -- and please our sincere thank you for taking the time to write a review! It's always nice to know that our guests are having as much fun as we are! I will share your lovely comments with Mary and with the rest of the staff. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We ate there twice for breakfast and both meals were very good. The cherry stuffed french toast was yummy and it was huge. You can sit outside with your dog and they bring them a bowl of ice water plus they have a doggy menu. Our Pinky got a hamburger one day and scrambled eggs and ham the next time. The sweet waitress Mary brought a little cantaloupe and whipped cream for her as well. I wish we had gone back for the lobster boil, it sounded delicious!

2  Thank thegoodwitch49
Karen B, Owner at Harbor Fish Market and Grille, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Thanks so much! We do love meeting the great dogs that visit with us! Mary is one of our most experienced servers and she takes great care of not only her four legged customers but her two legged ones as well! We really hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Had breakfast and the food was good, but was pretty pricey for the amount received. It is in a neat building with a good view of the lake. There were four of us dining and we wanted to split the check. Be prepared because the server informed us it was restaurant policy not to split checks at a table - odd.

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review here! I will be checking with our servers today -- this past spring we purchased a new point of sale system for a few reasons, with the main one being the ability for us to easily separate checks for folks who need them separated. The process is very simple and we do it every day -- so I will check with all the servers to see who might not have been comfortable with doing that for you. I am disappointed that you found our food to be pricey -- we generally have people tell us that we are priced the same if not lower than other places like our restaurant. I appreciate you telling us that so that we can assess things right away. It does sound like you enjoyed your food and your dining experience -- so I hope that we will see you again sometime! Best wishes......