“Excellent experience!”

Max Supper Club
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is my first review.........ever. I travel a lot and don't feel qualified to share my experiences, mainly because I'm more interested in consistency versus a one-time impression. Max Supper Club has re-opened under new management after being closed for several years. Their opening day was approximately one month ago and I did something I NEVER do - I went on opening night, which was a Friday. Typically, I stay away from the opening because there are always "kinks" being worked out, but their opening was flawless. Our server was exceptional (Sydney) and we enjoyed the relish tray before our meals arrived. I ordered the Walleye, which was served on a bed of "smashed" potatoes and with some steamed veggies. The sofrito sauce with this dish is outstanding. The serving size was very large and I took 1/2 of my meal home with me to enjoy the next day. Great value in my book!

But, like I said - I'm more interested in consistency. I stopped again tonight after a long, tiring day of work and ordered the same Walleye dinner ($18.95 btw). Absolutely everything was spot-on. Piping hot, the walleye was cooked perfectly - moist and flaky but a little crunchy on the edges. The sofrito sauce was everything I remembered it had been. And, I took 1/2 my meal home with me - including the wedge salad!

I highly recommend Max Supper Club, which is located at Maxwelton Braes Supper Club, just on the south end of Baileys Harbor, Wisconsin.

3  Thank dcsalmon

Reviewed July 28, 2013

From the outside, it looks like a bar. Once inside, we were seated at a table overlooking the golf course. The chairs are very comfortable. The wait staff is attentive and efficient. I had the 1/2 rack of lamb which was cooked to absolute perfection. The vegetables were perfect along with the mashed potatoes. The wedge salad was very tasty. My hubby had the steak- it was very tasty. For dessert, order the flour-less chocolate cake. This is a specialty of chef Mitch. It was like an exotic smore. The price was very reasonable and I look forward to dining there again. I would highly recommend this restaurant!

2  Thank Dawn V
Reviewed July 26, 2013

This is a revived restaurant that is part of the Maxwelton Braes Golf Resort. The restaurant recently opened a few weeks ago in June 2013 and it's operated by very experienced operators who own the newer Chop in Sister Bay which consistently earns rave reviews. Max Supper Club is an old time supper club type of place - highly appealing. It's clean and the staff are really quite good - polite and attentive. Our evening started with greeting the hostess owner Patsy and then sitting at the bar for a cocktail before being seated. We had an excellent cocktail made by a very experienced bartender - she put enough booze it - it was perfect. That's a good start. Nothing worse than a weak drink. We were there on a Friday evening and most people were enjoying a traditional Friday night fish fry - which looked really good! When we were ready to be seated - we were seated and a very friendly waitress appeared to introduce herself and the menu to us. We thought the dining experience was more like eating and only average at best. So many things were off. First, the table was missing a table cloth or even paper placemats. It was a bare table like you'd get at Applebee's or a diner somewhere. It just looked 'unfinished'. A relish was served - but it wasn't a relish tray - instead it was a small mason jar of sweet relishes ... a sad looking single stalk of asparagus, some sliced pickles and a couple of olives - you 'dug' around in it with your fork. And then they presented a worn looking small plate of crackers you'd have at home with butter. They didn't have bread. WHAT? They didn't have rolls or bread. Bread (even bad bread) is a standard staple of the traditional Wisconsin supper club. Holy cow. We didn't order the fish fry. Instead we each had a different dinner entrée. Dinner salads were the best part of the meal - they served a wedge of lettuce with a great tasting house dressing. It was highly decent. Our dinners were served but ... so much was off by now that they were not very appealing looking or satisfying. In the pix you'll see a nice tasting but very small steak (ample) on a bed of garlic mashed potatoes, topped with garlic. So sterile looking - no color on the plate. No accents of either vegetables or any other accompaniment that would add color or make it look more appetizing. Sad looking relishes, a small pile of Ritz crackers, no bread ... and a dinner that just didn't look very good (tasted good) .. served on undressed table. Disappointing. The price point is good - but look - we'd of paid a bit more for the absent features of a good supper club. The waitress said they are still trying to get their act together. A surprising comment, if true, since the operators are experienced. So this wasn't on our hit parade of great new places to try. If we try it again it'll be because of the reputation of the operators but not because of the food or atmosphere we experienced on this visit. And we'll update our review if we do try it again - if anything has changed.

3  Thank TheWash