“West Virginia Charm”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Williamson
Hatfield McCoy House
Ranked #2 of 3 Williamson B&B and Inns
Pewaukee
“West Virginia Charm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed at this wonderful Bed and Breakfast for two nights and could not have been more pleased with the facility, the atmosphere, the service, and the overall charm of the place. The owner is generous with stories about the area, including the history of the Hatfield and McCoy feud, and will gladly sit down and spin tales to entertain his guests.

Room Tip: I chose my room while making the reservation; there are very good photos on the website. I believe...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

We just came back from a fantastic weekend in Williamson WV, and stayed here at the Linkous House B&B. The owners were amazing and the house was fantastic. Very clean, and comfy. If you needed anything the owners were right there for you. Breakfast was prepared and was absolutely delicious. We had the best time staying here. Not one complaint at all. If anyone is going to Williamson stay here, you won't be disappointed at all. The rates were wonderful as well. Thank you so much Mike and Wendy for everything, we def look forward to staying again.

• Stayed April 2013
Golden, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

I rely on Trip Advisor to help me plan my trips. If a property is especial good or bad, I can plan to stay there or plan to avoid it. I like to share my experiences but before I write a review, I like to have multiple visits under my belt if I can so I can judge fairly. Every establishment can have a bad day or a good day and it is important to get an overall feel. And I make it a point of telling it as it is in my reviews. For the Linkous House, I have stayed 3 times and I am happy to say that this property is worthy of inclusion in your travel plans.

I can afford to stay anywhere I want to and while I am in this area, I choose to stay at the LInkous House. Wendy and Mike certainly go out of their way to make you feel at home and a part of the family. This is important to me. I don't particularly want marble floors with lots of steel and glass like you will find at a nation wide chain. Nor do I want someone to check me in who could care less about how my stay is going than they do about chatting with one of their friends on the phone. You won't find those things here. Here you will find rooms that look they came out of grandma's farmhouse, people that care, and a breakfast like you might have at home. In my book, these are significant plusses. And the internet works which is more than I can say about approximately one half of the chain hotels.

I would encourage travelers to seriously consider staying here while in the area.

Room Tip: I have stay in two of the rooms and both have been quite good. I have looked into the others while...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Nashville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

I wish our stay had been better. My bf and I were in town for my birthday and Thanksgiving; we checked in Wednesday, Nov 21 early evening and left Saturday morning. Our first stay at LH was several years prior, and was pleasant enough that we opted to go back for these 3 nights.

As for our experience... The proprietors seem to be very personable and friendly, though we only saw them if we went down for breakfast. The location is convenient. We had plenty of towels and washcloths at our disposal in the hallway. The place seems clean (I'm big on clean and would have left immediately at the first sign of cooties or critters).

And for the rest... there's so much to share, so forgive me if I jump around. The old wood floors creak loudly- guess that's good, since no one can ever sneak up on you. The rooms are quaintly decorated but the decor is dated and worn. The rooms are small. Really small and tight- and are in need of some updates. A very large person / couple would have a tough time getting around in there. The walls are very thin. If you are annoyed by constant noise, especially in the evening, be aware that it is really loud- between the train a block away, the traffic, guests walking back and forth and conversating, and the children who clearly awoke way too early, it is noisy. Probably wouldn't be as big an issue if there isn't a full house at the time of your stay.

The layout of the Anna Rose room is... awkward. When you open the door, the bed is right there on the left, the head of the bed against the wall shared with the guest hallway and the side of bed at the wall & window shared with the guest's outdoor smoking porch. At the foot of the bed is a comfy chair and ottoman. It is a challenge to watch the little old-school tv from the bed or the chair. The creaky, uncomfy bed is so high that you literally have to jump up in it (it wasn't worth the effort)- and, if you lay on your right side or sit on the side of the bed (feet dangling!), you can watch the tv. The room doesn't have enough table space and lighting is dim. We chose to put our suitcase on the desk for accessibility and bf charged his phones using the outlets near the floor and rested them in the potted plant. It was pretty chilly and drafty at night in the room, and all we had was a window a/c and quilts.

The bathroom is... wow. It is very cramped, has no counter space, and offers zero privacy. If you're not already intimately aware of the natural processes of the person sharing your room, you will be by the time you leave. The bathroom "door" is a slatted French screen with the spaces between, and the bathroom wall is open at the top- ie, you know EVERYTHING that's going on in there, good, bad, or ugly. To complete the experience, there is a huge mirror on the wall, placed just so, just in case you want to watch yourself sit on the toillet. There is about a foot between the wall and the bathtub- very close quarters in which to maneuver. The wallpaper is old and peeling, and overall everything just looks worn and tired. There's a little shelf above the toilet - we used that and the back of the toilet for toiletries and necessities.

Someone else mentioned the beverage area- I agree, $5 for a beer (or a cooler) is a bit much. At first it appeared everything was $1, but we looked further and saw the difference. The welcome note you receive upon arrival tells you to help yourself to drinks and snacks, so I was a little taken aback to see all the price tags when we went to grab a soda. Guess they have to generate revenue where they can.

The breakfast is not gourmet by any stretch of the imagination and is not billed as such- though it will keep you from starving. I saw scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage patties, gravy, heat-n-serve blueberry pancakes and biscuits, cereal, milk, and juice. It's fine for what it is and does the trick- I wasn't expecting a chef-prepared spread. With that said, the term "bed and breakfast" sort of conjures images of a beautiful room and beautiful breakfast being THE focus, so I can understand how some may be disappointed. I personally would be willing to pay less for the room (79.95) and skip the breakfast. Based on last week's stay, the rate is overpriced for what we actually received and experienced.

On a positive, we had no trouble connecting to the free wireless internet provided. Hope to have my pictures online soon. I'm a big supporter of small businesses and entrepreneurs, and grew up in the area and know the challenges they face. I hope to see LH do well.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank MsMJP
Bristol, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

What can I say? It was our first stay at a Bed and Breakfast and we couldn't imagine anything better. Our hosts, Wendy and Mike, are super people and made us feel as if we were in our own home.
This place, if I remember correctly, is about 115 years old, but with all the modern amenities you would want, Even if we wanted to try, we wouldn't be able to find any faults with our stay. If you are ever in Williamson, WV. and don't stay at the Linkous House, you're missing an excellent bet! Thanks.
P.S. One of their cardinal rules is not to discuss religion or politics so have light hearted fun

Room Tip: Leave all your cares at home.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank KonnarockKid
Abingdon, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

For my wife and me, this was our first experience in a B&B. Our daughter Lisa, however, has stayed in many of them and highly recommended it. She was right. We have never stayed in a chain hotel or motel where we were made to feel at home. Mike and Wendy treated us as members of the family and given the run of the house.
Sunday Morning we were treated to a scrumptious breakfast of sausage, bacon eggs, biscuits, gravy, coffee. and a great danish. Beats the heck out of a continental breakfast of coffee and donuts.
If in the future, we are within an hours drive of Williamson and need a place to stay, the Linkous House will be it..
Thanks Wendy and Mike for your hospitality.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Charlie C
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

this b / b had a nice, hoomey touch to it. wish we could have fixed our own breakfast. wouldn't stay anywhere else though. i love that it brought back memories from my childhood home on Vinson Street.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank yesimpicky
Also consider these accommodations in or near Williamson
Hampton Inn Pikeville
#1 of 1 in Inez
Tug Valley Inn, Inc.
Tug Valley Inn, Inc.
#1 of 3 in Williamson

Been to Hatfield McCoy House? Share your experiences!