“Best in Williamson W.V.”
Review of Mountaineer Hotel

Mountaineer Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Williamson
Mountaineer Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Williamson
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Rooms,Hotel Staff and location! Could not ask for more. Enjoyed everything about our two night stay. Stayed in the J.F. Kennedy room. While in Williamson W.V. the only place to stay. Beautiful, Beautiful hotel. Oh yeah don't forget the great room rates.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank FHRUSSELL

Reviewed September 7, 2013

learned about this hotel when looking for lodging near Williamson. We were just passing through, did not have time this trip to explore Hatfields and McCoys stories, but OH, this is the place to do it. Go to the Coal house next door to this hotel and you will receive all into that you need to go have fun looking at the Hatfield and McCoys. We found this hotel very unique and beautiful, it is an old structure that is being brought back to life. wonderful artifacts and antiques on display, the rooms are small, but beds are soft clean and comfortable. The bathrooms are small, but original tile on floor and tubs with old fixtures, scrubbed clean and shiny. It was just like visiting the hotel as it would have been in the early 1900's. Our only wish is that the town had more nightlife, restaurants and bars to walk to and enjoy visiting. There is a sports bar + grill right down the street you can walk to "Starters" where you can partake of some really good beer and some really good food! we will go back and visit again. Great time and it was a great price. enjoyed very much, we like unusual places.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kim F
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Tucked away in this little town is a hidden gem. I believe the hotel is close to a 100 years old. It has been refurbished, but retained it's historical integrity. The rooms are immaculate and spacious, we stayed in the Suite with a Jacuzzi. The staff is friendly and goes above and beyond to make you feel welcome. Historical artifacts are displayed throughout the beautiful lobby.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Bewfiddle
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The lobby is breathtaking and the location is ideal. It's hard to find a charming and open hotel in the downtown of anywhere in WV so we were excited.
The rooms have the names of country artists who stayed in the hotel in the hey day of the area. The hotel is right beside the coal house and we had a view of it from our room.
The staff is extremely lovely and friendly. If you are in West Virginia this is the town and place to visit to get a feel for the state.

Room Tip: Ask for a king size room!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank antitourists
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Although the reviews were positive, still felt like it was a gamble for the first night of our roadtrip to Niagra Falls. We chose this location because we were wanting to experience the Hatfield & McCoy fued locations and wanted to be close to Pikeville, KY. Upon entering the very quiet lobby I was immediately impressed with the nostalgic furnishings and displays. Odd that an original room key with our # (306) was also on display in one of their cases. This place is rumored to be haunted and feels like the perfect place for the haunts to hang out. Room was, as warned, a bit small but very clean and comfortable and gave an experience of what it must have been like to travel a century ago. The gamble paid off. We were there for two nights and had a great stay at a great rate and would love to go back some day.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Samuel C
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I loved walking into this beautiful hotel. It was interesting and neat to be in a historic hotel. They had a lovely chandelier hanging. The front desk clerk was also quite charming. They had a little old fashion phone sitting on the counter where the coffee and hot water should have been. Unfortuantely, there was not a big choice on coffee. She could make black, but that was about it. The hotel rooms are all unique because they all have signs of what famous person has stayed in there. For example, they had Loretta Lynn who had stayed there and the Aunt Jeminma was there as well. They also are shaped differently because I would go into one from down the hall and it would look completely different. They all had the same amenities, internet, ac, heat, humidifier, large screen tv, and comfortable beds, along with a table and two chairs. The shower was also quite huge, it could have had better lighting, but still pretty cool.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Faye B
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This hotel is set in a very nice quiet part of town. The Mountaineer hotel is in a very safe part of town, If you want to get outside for a nice walk you can just walk around the block and not worry about getting lost to easily. My friend and I walked the streets once it was dark with no problem because the streets are lit up. No one was outside either so we felt very safe.

The receptionist is extremely friendly and will go out of her way to make sure your questions are answered and you feel at home. I was trying to find out where the Walmart was and the receptionist over heard me talking to my colleague, she politely intervened in the conversation to give me clear directions. After that she made sure we knew that we were not a bother and even offered us some beverages. I was amazed at how squeaky clean the building was. I felt as though I could see my face in the floor tiles, because they were that clean. There are a lot of decorations in the building but it was not overwhelming because each piece was extravagant and beautiful.

As I was heading up to my room to be small based on the size of everything else in the building. Once I opened the door I saw a small comfortable living room. The living room was connected to a small bathroom. The next room is a big room where two large queen size beds are located and on the side of the living room. The beds are extremely comfortable. My favorite part was the fact that I could control the AC.The knobs are clear and you can turn it up or down as you please and actually feel a difference in the temperature.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JamilaAbril
Also consider these accommodations in or near Williamson
19 mi away
#2 of 3 in Williamson
Brookshire Inn
Brookshire Inn
#1 of 1 in Inez

Been to Mountaineer Hotel? Share your experiences!