“Great stay for Hatfield and McCoy explorers”
Review of Mountaineer Hotel

Mountaineer Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Williamson
Mountaineer Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Williamson
Augusta
“Great stay for Hatfield and McCoy explorers”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Although the reviews were positive, still felt like it was a gamble for the first night of our roadtrip to Niagra Falls. We chose this location because we were wanting to experience the Hatfield & McCoy fued locations and wanted to be close to Pikeville, KY. Upon entering the very quiet lobby I was immediately impressed with the nostalgic furnishings and displays. Odd that an original room key with our # (306) was also on display in one of their cases. This place is rumored to be haunted and feels like the perfect place for the haunts to hang out. Room was, as warned, a bit small but very clean and comfortable and gave an experience of what it must have been like to travel a century ago. The gamble paid off. We were there for two nights and had a great stay at a great rate and would love to go back some day.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Samuel C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Huntersville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I loved walking into this beautiful hotel. It was interesting and neat to be in a historic hotel. They had a lovely chandelier hanging. The front desk clerk was also quite charming. They had a little old fashion phone sitting on the counter where the coffee and hot water should have been. Unfortuantely, there was not a big choice on coffee. She could make black, but that was about it. The hotel rooms are all unique because they all have signs of what famous person has stayed in there. For example, they had Loretta Lynn who had stayed there and the Aunt Jeminma was there as well. They also are shaped differently because I would go into one from down the hall and it would look completely different. They all had the same amenities, internet, ac, heat, humidifier, large screen tv, and comfortable beds, along with a table and two chairs. The shower was also quite huge, it could have had better lighting, but still pretty cool.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Faye B
Berea, Kentucky
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This hotel is set in a very nice quiet part of town. The Mountaineer hotel is in a very safe part of town, If you want to get outside for a nice walk you can just walk around the block and not worry about getting lost to easily. My friend and I walked the streets once it was dark with no problem because the streets are lit up. No one was outside either so we felt very safe.

The receptionist is extremely friendly and will go out of her way to make sure your questions are answered and you feel at home. I was trying to find out where the Walmart was and the receptionist over heard me talking to my colleague, she politely intervened in the conversation to give me clear directions. After that she made sure we knew that we were not a bother and even offered us some beverages. I was amazed at how squeaky clean the building was. I felt as though I could see my face in the floor tiles, because they were that clean. There are a lot of decorations in the building but it was not overwhelming because each piece was extravagant and beautiful.

As I was heading up to my room to be small based on the size of everything else in the building. Once I opened the door I saw a small comfortable living room. The living room was connected to a small bathroom. The next room is a big room where two large queen size beds are located and on the side of the living room. The beds are extremely comfortable. My favorite part was the fact that I could control the AC.The knobs are clear and you can turn it up or down as you please and actually feel a difference in the temperature.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JamilaAbril
Berea, Kentucky
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel was a treat to stay in. My colleagues and I were able to get on the roof to see the solar panels. Each room was dedicated to someone who has stayed in it before. My roommate and I stayed in the Eleanor Roosevelt room. It wasn't much of a view but to the other side of the hotel wall. The beds were comfortable and there is a television set in the room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jerrod A
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The Mountaineer Hotel is truly a step back in time. Take that for the good and the bad that it offers.

I was given a room on the 3rd floor and it was small -- Microtel small. The woman at the desk advised me of this and I was fine with it as I don't really need much space. The room was clean and my room overlooked the coal house and 2nd street.

The parking garage is directly across the street and is a little iffy. Motorcycles were randomly parked in spaces making ideal spots for cars and trucks difficult. Fortunately on the weekend the courthouse parking lot next door is available and easy to park in.

One elevator serves guests for all four floors and it's slow enough to remind you what a convenience it was back in the 20's as you wait. My room's TV was wall mounted and about 27" -- adequate but nothing stellar. Reception was fine.

Internet was good when you were connected but often disconnected and required re-authentication -- a bit annoying.

The front desk staff were very polite and helpful and explained everything about the keys (old school), key pads, locked doors, etc.

The bathroom was TINY. Literally enough room for a toilet, small sink, and a shower. Excluding the shower, the room was probably 2 feet wide by 6 feet long. If you're a little por

Each of the rooms is noted with some interesting or historical guest information.

I would definitely stay here again for the ambiance, service, and clean rooms. The price is also very good.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room, if available.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Athens, Ohio
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Poor parking garage, old, poorly maintained building, staff is rude, when you can find them, this hotel caters to the lawyers renting office space in it, not travelers, if you are not checked in by 8 or 9 you cannot get in, they use an old fashioned punch key system for accessing the garage and hotel areas, wifi and tv reception was poor for most of our stay, would never stay here again

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lauren O
Clarkesville, Georgia
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This hotel is a great selection for anyone who needs to stay in town. It is very convenient. Restaurants are within walking distance and parking is across the street and free. The rooms and bathrooms were very clean. The people there were more than willing to help with any need. The only issue with the place was that there were no coffee makers in the rooms. Coffee was available in the morning at the front desk. As a person who enjoys coffee I would have been pleased to have a coffee maker in my room so I would not of had to go to the lobby.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Williamson
Hampton Inn Pikeville
Candlewood Suites Logan
Best Western Logan Inn
Best Western Logan Inn
#1 of 2 in Chapmanville

Been to Mountaineer Hotel? Share your experiences!