“Historic hotel with southern charm” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Greenbrier

and 1 more site!
The Greenbrier
Maryland
“Historic hotel with southern charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2006

I stayed at the greenbrier in the spring which was a lovely time to visit. There were beautiful tulips and other various flowers in full bloom. I was there for a mother daughter weekend getaway and I have to say it was perfect. We enjoyed every meal from breakfast to dinner. The chefs were on top of both quality, taste, and presentation and the wait staff was very good as well. Our room was a junior suite and had plenty of room for three women, which is saying alot. There was a large bathroom and a walk in closet. They play a free movie every night in a beautiful old theatre and we took advantage of this our first night. Our second night we went bowling which was fun but slightly overpriced. We also made a trip to the spa which we all enjoyed. My Mom and I had a lavender soak followed by a light massage. The lavender oils were very relaxing. My sister had a teenage facial which she also enjoyed. In your down time I suggest walking through the shops. There are many unique stores and some great finds. I would also recommend that you stay for a week if you can. That way you can visit the many different dining areas as well as experiencing the various activites they offer. I would definately like to return however next time I think I would enjoy going with my boyfriend. It seemed to me that it could also be very romantic as well.

• Liked — The comfort and the service
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure you book your activites, dining, and spa services before you get there.
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank amanda0814

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
Bridgeport, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2006

I enjoyed my most recent stay at the Greenbrier.

We also enjoyed a pedicure at the Spa---it was nice also.

We received a room in the West Virginia Wing. The size of the room could not be beat. We had two closets, robes for two, two very comfortable beds, with down comforters. The bathroom had double sinks and make-up table. A sliding door separated the sinks from the toilet, bidet and shower. Nice light directly over the shower. Shower had good pressure and adjustable shower head. Lighting in bathroom and bedroom was good.

Decor is by the famous Dorothy Draper and very bright and cheerful. You go away saying I didnt realize those colors matched.

Mini coffee pot, and hair dryer provided.

Dinner and Breakfast in main dinning room was great.

• Tips/Secrets — Take the Bunker Tour
  • Stayed September 2006
9 Thank wvshopper
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2006

We stayed a year ago and went back, this time with our 8 month old girl. They valued our return visit and try hard to please young couples. and we got the same room as last time, a nice Spring Row Cottage toward the end of the line with quiet, a front porch and nice mountain views They accommodate you if you want dining room reservations on your schedule and if you want things in your room that are for babies. Babysitting at $8 an hour is a bargain and quite competent. We like the dining room for breakfast and dinner. Our main complaint is that outside the dining room there are not enough healthy and vegeterian options and they don't seem sensitive to this unless you ask them to make something for you (which they will). The nuclear bunker tour was fun and we enjoyed the various activities -- afternoon tea and concert, nightly dancing in the lounge, horse and carriage ride, golf buggy ride, bowling, cooking demonstrations, architectural tours on the property, and going on a holiday weekend is definitely a festival with various kinds of entertainment and free foodies all around. Often you return to a place and it is underwhelming second time around -- we were very happy and would go back again and we really had a wonderful time with our little kid and even our mother in law who came with us. Also very convenient flying in and out of Lewisburg, just a 20 minute shuttle from the hotel. Our main concern is that they are getting rid of the meal plan and going a la carte all the way -- it may drive people to pinch pennies and feel less freespirited overall unless they come up with packages that let people feel loose on their holidays. We really liked the meal plan aspect of the Greenbrier and will miss it. We also felt that service was really friendly and outgoing -- if anyone thought we wanted something, they went right out to try and do it for us.

• Liked — very nice cheerful rooms
  • Disliked — duvets instead of sheets and blankets -- they changed it when we complained though
  • Tips/Secrets — if traveling with kids, ask when booking reservations what options are available
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
12 Thank 649ic
Greenwich , Conn.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2006

We went to the Greenbrier with great expectations. Obviously, this is a hotel that has rested on its laurels, or they have wilted by neglect. The entrance to the property was dull, overgrown with bushy plants and had a monotone garden.

It wasn't grand , nor beautiful , rather it was absolutely hideous in its decor. The putrid wallpaper has clusters of flowers more than a foot in width. The carpet was black, green and pink. The entrance is downstairs where you are received. Its under whelming, much like Penn station in New York.

It was a white elephant without doubt. The hallway to our room smelled like the boys lockeroom. It was foul and mildewed.

The bellmen were polite and helpful; they were the only staff worth a cent. The rest seemed to hate their jobs and seemed to grin and bear it. If you thanked them which we do as habit, they said nothing. I have yet to go to a place where the staff seemed to really dislike the guests.

Our group went to shoot and the staff again seemed to truly dislike guests and struggled to be civil. They made zero effort . The whole experience was such a let down. They ram the dress code down your throat and yet they DO NOT keep up their end of the bargain. They cut off coffee in the grand hall at 9:00. The grounds are neglected and the place is like a mangy fox thats better off put out of its misery. It needs a major overhaul and attitude adjustment. Never again. It was very expensive. I'd give it two stars . Don't go. Not worth the drive . I don't mind spending the money if its worth it. Save your money for the Homestead.

• Liked — knowing that the Homestead is around the corner. And, leaving.
  • Disliked — Ugly , over rated, over priced and unfriendly staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to the Homestead! THis place was so over rated . It has a loyal following . Let them stay there.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Citalee
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2006

I just returned home from the Greenbrier and can't say enough good things. The staff was unbelievable. They are genuine, friendly and amazingly attentive.
I have stayed in many of the top hotels and resorts in the U.S. and abroad. The Greenbrier is at the top of the list of my favorites. The hotel is old but impecibly maintained. It is unlike any other property I have visted. There are so many activities that it is easy to keep your schedule full. Plan ahead & don't over book your activities. Enjoy what truely is the Greenbrier experience. After 4 full days , we actually decided to spend the last day of the trip doing nothing but relaxing at the pool and getting our last massages. The meals in the dining room were excellent and the service we received was spectacular. The golf courses were beautiful and the pace of play was great. A place like this is not cheap, but it is worth every penny in my opinion. I am already looking forward to coming back. I will make an annual visit, and regret that I can't make it back more often.

Stayed September 2006
6 Thank 894gfva
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2006

This was our second visit to The Greenbrier. The decor is palatial, including the wallpaper with bright giant flowers. The outdoor landscaping is also stunning. Everything seems circa 1940s. Staff are cordial, spa is relaxing. At first I thought I would come back again and again, but our dinners were rather bland and not really worth the price, and dining room servfice was not attentive, so we probably won't return. It is a unique experience, though.

• Liked — Building and grounds, staff
  • Disliked — Mediocre food
  • Tips/Secrets — Evening dress: jacket and tie for men, dress or suit for women
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
7 Thank Forsyth
West Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2006

We just returned from a four day stay at the Greenbrier. I must say it was the most relaxing atmosphere I have experienced in a long time. The hotel is beautifully maintained, full of history, with gorgeous grounds. The staff was the most courteous I have encountered. Highlights of our stay were the beautiful infinity pool overlooking the golf course, horseback riding, bowling after dinner in one of the restaurants, and just wandering around taking in all the historic features of the hotel. It IS rather expensive; activities such as horseback riding, croquet, bowling, etc. come with a high price. In my opinion, it is worth it. It is a fantasyland of good food, beautiful surroundings, pampering, and a wide range of activities. We will return if our budget allows.

Stayed June 2006
Motel M Lewisburg
Motel M Lewisburg
#7 of 7 in Lewisburg
3.0 of 5 stars 24 reviews

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!