The resort itself is a wonderful destination for a high end getaway.
The ambiance and décor are unmatched, it truly feels like the special place that it is. The staffs as a whole were also extremely helpful and polite.
However, the food offered at the Greenbrier is mediocre at best. Drapers café offers lunch and dinner options that are below standard for such a resort. My wife ordered chicken pasta, which turned out to be cut up breaded chicken and box pasta with some sauce thrown over it. What happened to fresh pasta, fresh produce and quality prepared chicken?
Prime 44 West steak house is the Greenbriers newest culinary addition.
With our orders placed for medium rare and medium bone in ribeye ($60), two steaks appeared thirty minutes later, one of which was a quality, steak house steak 1 ½” Pittsburg style steak perfectly cooked. The other was an Applebee’s style steak ¾” thick and overcooked almost steamed, needles to say it went back to be exchanged for a new one. Twenty five minuets later, after everyone in our party had finished eating, another Applebee’s style ¾” thick and overcooked almost steamed steak appeared. This time it went back for good. After eating my friend’s leftovers and finishing my $20 glass of wine I left disappointed. The thing is, when you claim to be a steak house in a 5 star resort the steak you serve had better be good, it was not.
Our last food mistake was eating frozen pizza and chicken nuggets passed off as wings in the Tavern casino ($55)
The moral of the story is, when you pay for good food, you expect good food!
The Greenbrier is way off the mark with its food. The new owner needs to invest in half a dozen top quality chefs that serve fresh honest good quality food not the fancy pretentious menu they currently have. Why would you invest millions on a new casino when you have below average food?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located amid the breathtaking Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia, The Greenbrier is a National Historic Landmark and an award-winning resort that has been welcoming guests since 1778. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz and Expedia so you can book your The Greenbrier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Greenbrier Hotel White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Resort White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Wv