I have heard about The Greenbrier for years and had always wanted to check it out. My husband and I decided to go for our anniversary. We got the golf package which also included meals. With its reputation and high price tag, I expected top of the line. While the food was excellent, the service was just barely average. The staff also wasn't very accomodating and didn't impress us at all. For the same price (or even less), you could do much better at some of the other resorts in the US. We have been more impressed at some other more commercial resorts such as those offered by Marriott.
The rooms are not that impressive, the bathrooms small and the air conditioning was so loud that you couldn't even keep it running at night or it would keep you up. Speaking of noise at night, the resort is located near a train track. Passing trains throughout the night blow their whistle and making quite a bit of noise. You don't have to be a light sleeper to be woken up by this noise.
We spent Saturday night at the bar which allowed smoking of both cigarretes and cigars yet had no ventilation! The smell stayed with us and was in our clothes and hair. The most bizarre thing that happened was when we were at the bar for lunch. This is one of only 2 places for lunch at this time. They proceeded to tell us that they ran out of food and it would be a bit of a wait for them to get the food. I had never had heard of such a thing!
I could go on and on about the little problems and customer service issues that we experienced, but the net is The Greenbrier is not a good value and did not meet our expectations for a 5 star resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located amid the breathtaking Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia, The Greenbrier is a National Historic Landmark and an award-winning resort that has been welcoming guests since 1778. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz and Hotwire so you can book your The Greenbrier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Greenbrier Hotel White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Resort White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Wv