recently returned to the greenbrier for for a conference. quite a few changes since my last visit. the casino is finished. you can lose money there pretty quickly. of course my friend won 600$ on a 25 cent slot machine.... prime 44 remains the best restaurant in the place. forum is only so-so. The decorating scheme is still the loud clashing color palate of dorothy draper ( think astro turf green carpet, repeated patterns of 24" bouquets of red roses on walls and sometimes ceilings, fire engine red chairs.....not exactly a relaxing atmosphere for sleeping.
now, the dress code change: according to the information provided by our front desk person, dark jeans are acceptable with a jacket in SOME of the restaurants. this is a major change. there is hope that they may enter the 21st century after all. one caveat: be aware of changes in the pricing . They have added a "historic preservation fee" to everything at the place: services, the room, tours, food, toys.... on top of the daily resort fee. state sales tax is applied to these fees -- the $$ add up quickly. The bellmen and doormen no longer benefit from the resort fee so you must tip them ( another change that is going to cost you ) . staff are very attentive and responsive to requests. one last hint, bring your own pillow if you have neck problems, the pillows are fluffy and flatten when you lie down.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located amid the breathtaking Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia, The Greenbrier is a National Historic Landmark and an award-winning resort that has been welcoming guests since 1778. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire and Jetsetter so you can book your The Greenbrier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Greenbrier Hotel White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Resort White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Wv