New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Greenbrier

and 1 more site!
The Greenbrier
Upper Sandusky, Ohio
“"Beware of unauthorized CC charges"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

My daughter and I recently visited the Greenbrier for a father/daughter surprise trip. It is her senior year and she knew nothing of where we were going until we arrived. Had a very nice time and came home only to find 10 days later an unauthorized charge on my Credit Card for over $560.00. When I inquired about it, I was told it was for destruction of property, television and stand in the room. I was taken back and in complete shock. Not only did said incident NOT take place, but before a charge was ever ran on the credit card, I received NO phone call or letter to ask about the situation. I phoned the Greenbrier and throughout the inquiry spent cumulatively over an hour on hold. I spoke with everyone to include accounting department, Manager of Guest Relations, to the President of the Greenbrier, Mr. Kimmiek. I was told it was reported by housekeeping to security to investigate. Dealing with immense frustration after getting no where quickly, I contacted the Bell Captain and actually spoke with the Bellman that picked up our luggage once we had left the room for the final time. He even admitted there were no issues when he picked up our luggage. I was given several promises by both the Manager of Guest Relations and also the President that they would get back with me without delay. After 4 subsequent phone calls to both on the second day dealing with this, I finally heard back from the President and he acknowledge Greenbrier was in the wrong for charging my credit card without notice prior. His exact statement that left me in disgust was, " We don't know who destroyed the television, whether it was my daughter and I or someone on staff at the hotel, but it was broken and they would be refunding the funds to my credit card." I spent over $2,000.00 for a three day stay there and the only thing I got out of the whole situation, was an apology for the unauthorized charge and an accusation of destruction of property. Not once was there any, even though stated by the bellman nothing was damaged, a statement absolving us from the damage found in the room. I stay at many hotels and dine out frequently. The very least the President could have done was comp us a night or provide some type of compensation. The last memory my daughter has is being accused of something we never committed. What a complete lack of customer care. We would NEVER recommend this Hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
16 Thank jon s
Robert M, Vice President of Guest Relations at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Guest, it is obvious that you are disappointed with our response to your request for compensation concerning our error regarding the charging of your credit card for the damaged television. You and I spoke several times regarding your disappointment and I agreed that charging your credit card without contacting you or discussing the situation with you was an error on our part. The fact that our President and Managing Director contacted you personally we believe demonstrates how concerned we were regarding the incident. You and I spoke several times before our President contacted you. I assured you that he would be contacting you and that we were researching the details of the incident. During our conversations I appreciate you sharing how much you and your daughter enjoyed your visit with us. After our President and Managing Director contacted you; I again contacted you to insure that you had received his call and that the situation was resolved to your satisfaction. To our understanding we had resolved everything to your satisfaction so we were somewhat surprised when you contacted us the following day asking for a future complimentary stay or compensation. As we discussed we did not feel that your request was warranted in this situation and you were very clear concerning your feelings about our decision. I remain at your service.

Robert A. Mickey
Vice President of Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (615)
Moorestown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

14 of us just got back from a fantastic golf getaway ... The resort was first class, service impeccable , jerry west steak house as good as capital grille...price was $1,000 less than Pinehurst.............. 4 courses. The private course (Snead) was as good if not better than other Fazio gems like Caves, Kinloch,Galloway and the ridge at back brook.... Caddie josh was great at reading greens... Neat little casino in main building... Would go back.

Room Tip: Stay in main building. ( closer to casino)
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Robert M, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate you pointing out the Casino Club, a relatively new amenity added in 2009. Described as Monte Carlo meets Gone with the Wind, the Casino Club offers an elegant setting that revels in the warmth and charm of southern hospitality. We look forward to seeing you out on the golf courses again and a warm welcome will always await you at The Greenbrier!
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

My wife and I recently visited The Greenbrier for 5 days for our anniversary. All we can say is “WOW!” We have been fortunate enough to travel to and stay at some spectacular resorts/hotels around the world, and we can honestly say that The Greenbrier rates at the top of the list. From start to finish, everything was superb from the rooms to the grounds to the amenities. Probably the most amazing feature was the customer service (which we rated as an A+) ranging from the grounds crew to the hotel manager. Never have we experienced such amazing service and southern hospitality. Listed below are some of the highlights of the trip:

- Customer Service: all of the employees made a point of saying “Hello” or “How is your stay thus far” every single time we passed one of them. Additionally, we were treated to a number of extras (free glasses of champagne, cake, etc.) when we dinned since we were celebrating our anniversary.
- Activities: there are too many activities at the resort to list, but some of the “required” ones in my opinion are: free afternoon tea (suggestion: arrive a little late to avoid the 4:00 PM rush), golf (the Old White course is a must for any golfer), the spa, the free historical tours of both the inside and outside of the building, and falconry.
- Room: ours was spacious, light and updated. When making reservations, call and ask the staff for their recommendation.
- Dress Code: Yes, resort wear is encouraged/required throughout the resort, but jeans/shorts are OK until 7:00 PM or so. My wife and I found it refreshing that guests are asked to dress appropriately since the resort prides itself on offering southern hospitality (maybe we are biased since we mainly see shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops since we live in Florida).
- Tours: we were only able to take the bunker tour, but it was well worth the $35 (or so). Note: cameras and cell phones are not allowed, so leave them in your room.
- Flowers: the flowers both inside and outside are amazing. I’m still in awe as to how The Greenbrier can keep everything looking so amazing.

Possible improvements:
- Restaurants: Overall, I would say that the quality of food is good (but not great). We did have a few great meals, but the food is pricy and can be limited (for example, we wanted a made to order sandwich quickly before a tour one day, and we could not locate an establishment that could accommodate us in the short amount of time that we had). Hint: if you can only eat at 1 restaurant, then I would strongly suggest Prime 44. Everyone that we spoke with who visited often highly recommended it over all other restaurants on premises. I don’t think that you will be disappointed. By the way, I gave the "Breakfast" category 1 star as we did not eat breakfast at the resort. My rating obviously doesn't reflect my experience during breakfast. I wish that I could change it to "NA".

I would highly recommend visiting if you want to experience southern hospitality in an environment that takes you back to the early 1900’s. There are very few places that my wife and I agreed to re-visit as we like to have new experiences; however, The Greenbrier is a resort that we will return to in the near future.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jonathan A
Robert M, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
WOW, all we can say is WOW and thank you for such a kind and gracious review. We are so honored to read that The Greenbrier rates at the top of your list! Thank you for recognizing our amazing staff and their incredible efforts in maintaining both our buildings and grounds. We also appreciate your candor concerning areas where we can improve and thank you for assisting us in that regard. It is our commitment to our guests to improve everyday and discover new ways to exceed your expectations. We look forward to helping you celebrate many more anniversaries!
Columbus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

Just came back from our annual guys golf trip. This year we chose The Greenbrier. We happened to pick 3 days that ended up being filled with rain and cooler temps. It was hard to get excited for the trip when looking at the forecast prior to our arrival. The rain started within minutes of our arrival and lasted days. We immediately noticed how friendly the staff members were at check in, and also how accommodating they were. We arrived early and our cottage was ready. The rooms were very nice and the beds were comfortable. The shuttle service around the grounds were perfect. Everyone we came across was extremely nice! Loved the casino and restaurants on property. Grounds were also manicured beautifully.

Now I will talk about the golfing experience. Most golf courses under those conditions would be closed due to saturation. All of the courses here had great drainage. Under the circumstances, the courses were still in great shape! Loved the Greenbrier course just as much as Old White. We had to change tee times around and the staff in the pro shop were more than helpful. I've done a lot of traveling in my life, and it is very rare to come across as many great people as we did at Greenbrier. If there is anything you need during your stay, you just pick up the phone and someone is more than happy to help!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Robert M, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you for letting us know about your golf getaway! The Greenbrier is proud to offer five championship golf courses including the Old White TPC (host to The Greenbrier Classic, a PGA TOUR FedEx Cup Event) and Oakhurst Links (the first golf course designed and built in America). However, we thank you even more for recognizing the unique service provided by the staff of The Greenbrier. We truly believe that our first priority– no matter one’s official duties – is to sincerely care about our guests and their enjoyment of the resort. This is the essence of ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen. We look forward to seeing you out on the golf courses again!
Martinsburg,WV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

My husband and I have always wanted to stay here, as we live in WV, but always found it a little pricey. We were able to secure a FABULOUS deal($198 with breakfast included!) in December 2013 and were so excited to be able to stay at such an iconic resort. We fully expected to have a very small room with a poor view for the price we paid but were pleasantly surprised to find our room size more than adequate with a HUGE closet. We also had a nice view of the grounds at the back of the resort, our only complaint was how really dirty the windows were...a 5 star resort requires attention to every detail. The staff here provide excellent service and make you feel very welcomed. The resort was beautifully decorated for Christmas, which gave it a truly special feeling during our visit. Yes, the decor is very flowery and classic but fits with the history of the resort and did not bother us. We had dinner at Prime 44, which was exceptional (especially the lobster mashed potatoes!!), less impressed with the Forum but found it adequate. Breakfast buffet was nice, but a little close and crowded for those seated nearby...we were fortunate to be seated away from the chaos. We did the bunker tour, was enjoyable. We did have to check out early am due to a large snowstorm moving in, which was disappointing, but we were very pleased with our stay overall and hope to return again in the future to take advantage of the Spa and other wonderful services/activities provided by this iconic resort.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert M, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit. The Greenbrier has enjoyed a 65-year relationship with Dorothy Draper & Company, and her legendary style of vibrant colors, floral patterns and bold contrasts is on display around every corner! As you mention, dinner at Prime 44 West is an excellent choice! Honoring NBA legend and West Virginia native Jerry West #44 (the man in the NBA logo), Prime 44 West is a supreme steakhouse offering nothing but the finest aged beef and of course their famous lobster whipped potatoes! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Montclair, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

My husband, eight-yr-old daughter and I just came back from a three-night stay at The Greenbrier and had such a memorable time. The grounds, guest rooms and hotel are beautiful. My daughter loved the writing room and indoor pool in particular. And the activities are endless, though be prepared to pay for almost all of them. The guides/instructors were all incredibly friendly and knowledgable and made each experience worthwhile. We took tennis lessons and did horseback riding, archery, skeet and clay shooting,bowling and our daughter spent a morning at the kid's-only adventure zone. The most surprising part of the experience for us though was how great the food was. Prime 44 and Sam Snead's were just delicious. We'll be back!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Robert M, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
We are so happy to hear that The Greenbrier far exceeded your expectations! We have been welcoming guests since 1778 and have had 235 years of experience in providing exceptional customer service. Thank you for noticing our emphasis on creating a family-friendly environment here at The Greenbrier! Children 12 and under receive a "VIP Card" upon check-in that is redeemable for daily prizes and can participate in our "Kids Play Free" program for a variety of activities with a paying adult. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Greenbrier!
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

We stayed as part of a wedding party in October 2013. Our rooms were spacious and very clean. Dining at Prime 44 was great, the service was very good and the food was excellent. You do pay resort prices but they are more than offset by the experience. The grounds were in great shape and the amenities are top notch.

Room Tip: It depends on the traveller. The views from the different porticos are all good. The entrance side...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Robert M, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Thank you for your kind review and letting us know that for your visit we fulfilled our vision statement; “Where experiences are timeless and memories last forever….” We understand how important special occasions are for our guests and do our best to make them absolutely memorable! October is such a beautiful time of the year at The Greenbrier, especially for a wedding celebration. We look forward to your next visit!
Also consider these accommodations in or near White Sulphur Springs
Magnuson Hotel Mountain View
Super 8 Lewisburg
Super 8 Lewisburg
#6 of 7 in Lewisburg

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!