Clearly the Greenbrier is one of the premier hotels in the United States. As you enter the drive , the absolutely stately white sprawling complex surrounded by tastefully decorated conifers highlighting the winter season reminds the guest that countless hours have been spent defining the importance of glamour. Once again the staff , their friendliness , desire to be helpful, was another reminder that this resort was special. Poinsettias dotted the interior as did a festive display of gifts that were to be given to the disadvantaged. Terry the tennis pro, a former West Virginia University coach, was a terrific instructor, correcting forehand and backhand flaws with the same helpfulness as the other dedicated staff.
The primary problem with this grand hotel was some of the hidden costs that seemed like a "nickel and dime" practices that may not be bothersome to those with unlimited financial resources, but left a sour taste in what would have been an otherwise exquisite experience. For example, upon arrival we were asked if we like the valet to park our car. It was not until the next day that we learned from several individuals attending a seminar that there was a fee of $20.00 per day for the "privilege" of our car sitting in a parking lot that was located next to a free lot if we had parked it there ourselves. Or the " free" coffee offered in an area 50 feet from the main dining room. What was never stated was that if that free cup was refilled in the dining room $4.00 would be added to the bill. Or the $4.00 that was added to the bill for an order of toast that you would expect would be included in the $17.00 fee for an omelette. How sad it is that what otherwise would have been an absolutely delightful experience had to be dampened by a couple of silly business practices that one would expect from a less than dignified business manager than a 5 star hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located amid the breathtaking Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia, The Greenbrier is a National Historic Landmark and an award-winning resort that has been welcoming guests since 1778. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Greenbrier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Greenbrier Hotel White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Resort White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Wv