My family traveled 7 hours from South Carolina just to experience the history and ambiance of the Greenbrier. This was a once in a lifetime experience and we are considering returning in a few weeks because there is so much to do that we were unable to do & see everything in 3 days. Our trip was over the Thanksgiving holiday & we had dinner in the Crystal room, complete with a piano player, crystal chandeliers, it was like something you would only see on TV. Yes, dinner was expensive, but what most of the negative reviewers fail to realize is you are paying for much more than just the food. Its the experience as a whole that makes the Greenbrier more than worth the cost of dining and activities. My 7 year twin boys loved the bowling alley and the indoor swimming pool. Which by the way looks like it should have been in a Jane Russell movie. We were fortunate enough to ice skate while it was snowing, absolutely beautiful! A hot chocolate station and gas fire pit were wonderful touches! The staff, where do I even begin. They were amazing! My background is in HR and I had a chance to speak with some of the staff about working at the Greenbrier. One gentleman had been there for 20 years after serving in the military! That almost unheard of these days, and that says to me that not only is it a beautiful place to visit, but a great organization to have such happy employees working at the Greenbrier. Happy employees will always provide better service!
I tend to over plan, research down to the last detail and I'm disheartened by some of the comments. Perhaps Tripadvisor should categorize their reviews for like minded travelers. This property is not owned by Hilton or Holiday Inn, thank heavens!! The decor & presentation of this hotel is a piece of American history and without it the Greenbrier would just be another Ramada Inn. If thats the type of vacation your family is accustomed to then this is not the place for you. The Greenbrier exudes elegance of another time and should be appreciated and admired not ridiculed. I personally hope the new owner does not change anything about this grand hotel. This is one family that will be returning again and again!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located amid the breathtaking Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia, The Greenbrier is a National Historic Landmark and an award-winning resort that has been welcoming guests since 1778. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire and Jetsetter so you can book your The Greenbrier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Greenbrier Hotel White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Resort White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Wv