To celebrate my husbands retirement, I took him to the Greenbrier for a spa vacation. It was quite expensive so I guess I expected too much. The food was mediocre for the price charged and, having been served raw chicken at one of the upscale restaurants, I was offered a complimentary dessert -- REALLY? The worst experience was my "facial" at the "only 5 star mineral spa in the world". My service provider was not an esthitician, but a cosmetologist of 35 years who refused to upgrade my service, stating that "you'd be better off getting Botox". She used a gel mask for my massage which hardened as she massaged, making that experience painful. The ultimate faux pas was when I asked for a lip treatment and was told she had a plumper she could use. When I told her that the high end service I really wanted but was refused included a lip treatment, she suggested that she could go get her lip balm from her purse. At that point, I just wanted out. What I didn't reveal was that I, too, am a cosmetologist and I know that 1200 of my 1500 hour education was spent on hair with 300 hours attributed to skin and nails. State Board would have a field day at this spa. Honestly, the Asian place up the street could give me a better facial than I received at this 5 star spa. Who gives them this rating? They obviously do not deserve it. On a positive note, the grounds at the resort, the golf course and the 2 swimming pools were of a 5 star quality.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located amid the breathtaking Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia, The Greenbrier is a National Historic Landmark and an award-winning resort that has been welcoming guests since 1778. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia so you can book your The Greenbrier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Greenbrier Hotel White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Resort White Sulphur Springs
- Greenbrier Wv