“Excellent”

The Greenbrier
troy, oh
“Excellent”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Stayed 4 nights on business, would stay for a short vacation as well. Good selection of restaurants, nice main bar and nice one in the casino. Greenbrier golf course is very strong. And as so many say, the staff is great and adds to the ambience. The decor is unique.

Room Tip: We prefer main hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank troyoh
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you so much for reviewing your business trip at The Greenbrier. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back for a leisure visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
Austin, TX
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We came to the Greenbrier to celebrate our 40th anniversary, and (very important) for my husband to play golf on its famous courses. We don't have a lot of money, but were willing to fork it over for this one-in-a-lifetime experience.

It will definitely remain a one-in-a-life experience for us, because for all the money we spent, there were some major disappointments, and my tolerance for disappointment goes way down when I'm spending several hundred dollars per night for a room and meals.

Speaking of the room, it was lovely in its 1940's Turner Classic Movie way. So many roses on the wall, the carpet, and the bedspread it about gave me hives. Plus the management sent roses for our anniversary, a nice touch. But...the bed sagged! Underneath all that frothy bedding was a mattress that had given it all. I could find no position that did not leave my spine in distress. On the plus side, it was large and well lit, with a vanity and a perfect shower.

Dinner the first night was in the Main Dining Room, where the entrees start in the high 30s and go way up from there. I had researched the menu on line and whatever season I picked, they showed lamb. But when we got there, no lamb so I ordered a veal chop, and it was tough, tasteless, and dry. I really should have sent it back but I didn't want to put a damper on my husband's enjoyment of his filet, which he declared was the best steak he'd ever had in his life.

I ghosted around the hotel the next day, finding my routes among the acres of floor space by noting decor landmarks among the stripes, vines, flowers, and designs of the various rooms. Tiring of that I walked into town, which was at least something to do. Returning I checked out the pool but it was closed with no explanation.

When my husband returned from golf we took a tour of the Bunker built to house the US government bodies in case of nuclear attack. Very interesting. It has been decommissioned and is currently leased out for data storage.

We had dinner at Sam Snead's that evening and I stuck to an appetizer instead of an entree. The food was good but nothing special. Next morning we packed up early and pulled out. All in all it was a disappointment, not the super special stay we'd hoped for.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Vice President of Guest Relations at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent visit. We are honored that you choose The Greenbrier to celebrate your 40th Anniversary. We are very happy to learn that your husband found his steak to be, “the best steak he ever had in his life”. It is most unfortunate that we did not realize your disappointment with your entree. I assure you this was an unusual lapse in our high levels of service. In addition to offering tours of our historic cold war bunker; The Greenbrier is proud to host over 55 activities, many of which are complimentary to guests. During your stay the indoor pool, which is celebrating it’s 100th birthday this year was closed for annual maintenance, we apologize that we failed to make sure you understood that we also have a beautiful outdoor infinity pool overlooking the golf courses and mountains beyond that was available for your use. We remain at your service.
bryn mawr, pa.
Reviewed September 27, 2013

when we first arrived, i was awestruck by the charm and beauty of this palatial hotel, it is truly beautiful. most of the rooms around the hotel are impressive with exception...one of the lobbies has too much going on pattern-wise, from stripes to huge tropical leaves, flowers,colors that don't go well at all. my favorite room is where the painting of grace kelly is. the bedroom was ok but not what i would expect: walpaper seams showing, moulding not painted well. we did not sleep well because of the train and its honking most of the night plus the a/c noise turning off and on. bathroom floor around base of toilet is starting to yellow. bed and sheets are good quality. we enjoyed the main diningroom dinner, it was delicious. our waitress, joyce couldn't have been more genuine. we attended the tennis classic. bleachers uncomfortable (indoor) and mcenroe and sampras were irritated by the noise of the a/c over their heads! the hotel bedrooms need to be maintained better or else i'm afraid it will lead to its demise. around the base of . the swimming pools are beautiful. as everyone said, the staff was very accomodating and friendly. details are very important especially a hotel of this caliber.
another issue is the price of all the activities such as aerobics class 30 dollars, bunker tour 30 dollars. some things should be much cheaper or included.

Room Tip: apparently the north side is better with regard to noise of train but we stayed on north side and it...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank roamer9
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
We are so happy to hear that you were awestruck by The Greenbrier! As you mentioned, The Greenbrier features Dorothy Draper's legendary style of vibrant colors, floral patterns and bold contrasts throughout the property. Our dedicated staff works continually to update and maintain the look both in the public spaces and private guestrooms. We look forward to seeing you again next year!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My wife's bean soup was very good but the Fried Chicken was a big disappointment. The famed banana split could easily feed three. (5 scoops of Ice Cream)

1 Thank psyduck1947
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I hadn't been to The Greenbrier in years. But my trip last weekend convinced me that it hasn't lost any luster. The famed resort was renovated in 2010. Among the additions was the casino (as if there wasn't enough to do there already. I mean how many places offer falconry? The public spaces almost evoke Versailles. The sleeping rooms were nicely updated and the grounds are spectacular. We took the bunker tour and saw where the entire U.S. Congress were to ride out a Soviet Nuclear attack. Pretty neat! The service is first rate too. The only disappoimtent was the food , which was mediocre. All in all, in a class by itself!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
We are excited to hear that you enjoyed your return visit to The Greenbrier! There have been many additions to The Greenbrier in recent years including the Casino Club (an elegant 103,000 square-foot venue), Greenbrier Avenue (our hidden 5th Avenue shopping corridor), Prime 44 West (a fine dining steakhouse), The Greenbrier Classic (a PGA TOUR FedEx Cup Event) and Oakhurst Links (the first golf course designed and built in America)! We look forward to welcoming you back to discover even more changes on the horizon!
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed September 24, 2013

After a calm and relaxing day of driving from Cincinnati , my girlfriend and I pulled into this grand hotels security post , and were greeted by a kind security officer welcoming us to the Greenbrier and handed us our car plaque for our dash. Once arriving at valet / registration , we were met with smiles and the bellhops grabbed our bags. I inquired about having my car washed while we stayed , and the request was fulfilled without hesitation.
We had the honor of meeting The famous Mr. Mosley, the 50 year veteran doorman. Very honored. We were given directions to check in and spoke to a very pleasant gentleman to whom I asked if possible, since it was mid week, if we could be upgraded to a cottage. After checking our request was granted Along with matching cool glasses of champagne at check in .Thank you so much !!

The cottage row provides your own parking spot directly in front of your cottage, but because my car was to be washed, valet called the transportation van to whisk us to our cottage.

The cottage provides your own porches, family room, bar area, walk in closets, huge soaking tub, walk in shower, separate bedroom with king bed. I would estimate 900 sq feet of living space. Incredibly clean, robes and slippers available for use.

My girlfriend and I opted to eat both nights at " Infusion", as we enjoy sushi more than steak . It is located in the casino. Jackets required, I wore a suit both nights as most clientele. Casino was private, not crowded, and a perfect vibe for our entertaining pleasure. The bar within casino was adequate size, but the long bar only had 4 bar chairs. Found that odd, unless they wanted you playing casino games and not sitting at the bar. We did both and enjoyed both very much. Lost our share of money, walked back to our cottage, Enjoyed a bottle of wine on the porch , along with my favorite Fuente cigar.

During the day we walked the grounds, swam in the spa pool, had lunch outside by the infinity pool. Great service from the staff.

All in all, would come back in a second. Love the southern feel, impeccable service. Expected nothing less... Well done Greenbrier

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank brent a
TheGreenbrier, Manager at The Greenbrier, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience at The Greenbrier. It is wonderful to hear that you and your girlfriend enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!
Louisville
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

First let me say we have not stayed here since Mr Justice bought it. Prior to that we had come with our kids 7 or 8 times. But, it started to feel neglected.

We came this time with our 11 and 12 year old because of the Tennis Champions Classic with McEnroe, Sampras, Lendl, and Tommy Haas. They both met Sampras and my daughter met Haas.

It was so nice to see the resort busy and vibrant (but not for a convention). There were families, couples, and plenty of tennis and golfers that were enjoying it.

The dining room (great buffet breakfast) is still there along with a fantastic Italian restaurant (Forum) and the steak place ("Jerry West" or Prime 44 West). The food was incredible everywhere.

The indoor pool, spa, are still fabulous....

We loved the hiking and biking. The weather was cool and the area and grounds are well maintained.

The service was perfect.

We stayed in a spring row cottage that was close to the indoor tennis center. We like being close to the hotel but the cottage is bigger and feels more private.

Yes, this place is pricey. But, we felt like it was worth it.

We are planning another trip soon, either with another couple or family reunion.

• Stayed September 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent visit! With the addition of our "Kids Play Free" program, guests 12 and under can now enjoy many of our 55+ activities at no charge with a paying adult. We hope that this new program will allow you and your family to experience even more on your next visit!
Also consider these accommodations in or near White Sulphur Springs
Magnuson Hotel Mountain View
Super 8 Lewisburg
Super 8 Lewisburg
#6 of 7 in Lewisburg

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!