“Best Food I have ever tasted!!!!!”
Review of The Greenbrier

The Greenbrier
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed 2 nights for our 1 year anniversary. The service was extraordinary and the food was to die for!! They truly made us feel like royalty. We left feeling like the money that we spent there was completely worth it!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Danny S

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Took the entire family to The Greenbrier for Mother's Day Brunch. We all had very high expectations for this super Luxury hotel and restaurant. Unfortunately it did not live up to it's reputation. Here's why: I really expect the best food and the best service from a place like this especially when it cost $70.00 per person times 9, quite an investment for brunch in West Virginia.
We were seated in the very worst part of the dining room, should have complained but the family was already settled in, my fault! I have been to many very nice brunches all over the world so I would have expected this to be equal.
Let's start with the shrimp, I knew I was in trouble when they had the shrimp already in little tiny plates two at a time when the norm is an extra large bowl filled with ice and the shrimp are ready for your consumption with cocktail sauce and lemons ready to serve. Not even close to that presentation.
This is spring in West Virginia, the food on this brunch was more like a winter dinner buffet instead of a luxury Brunch, the selection was rather pathetic . The fresh squeezed orange juice was good but they rationed it off where you had to get the service attendant to bring you another glass every time you wanted a refill instead of just have it readily available like most brunches.
As a family we normally watch our dessert consumption but today we were looking forward to splurging , we all had our eyes out for the French Macaroons and the cookies, not a real large selection otherwise. By the time we were finished they were all gone with no backup plan from the hotel to replenish them, it may sound petty but this was really a large disappointment for all of us.
The server was very uninterested in giving the little bit of service that is required at a buffet brunch, one of my small requests was lemons for my shrimp, she forgot and when I reminded her she brought me limes instead.
Not till I found out that the bill included 22.5% for gratuity did I now realize why the service was so bad,it's included!
I'm so sorry that I can't recommend The Greenbrier unless you want average food for luxury prices.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Steven S
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This was our second trip to The Greenbriar. We remembered how good this food was and returned! The grilled cheese panini was good too but NOT the best part of the meal. Nope the fries were.

The peach martinis were like dessert. The Greenbriar is known for their peaches so we were told to try.
The french fries are the best IN THE UNIVERSE. Why? I do not know...try them and see for yourself!

But...the best thing we had was the crab salad appetizer. The crab meat is flown in from Maryland and it is fresh and plump and perfect in the salad. We ate the same thing every day. Yummmmy.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Three people for lunch (sodas only to drink) was almost $80. The food was per-prepared so seemed way too expensive for what we got. Would not return.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed here two nights and wished we could have stayed longer. We stayed in the cottages (Paradise Row) and loved it. Serene, quiet, lovely and gracious. Service was impeccable. Frequently asked if we could be helped. Smiles all around. First class. The decor was not my first choice, but was perfectly suited for a southern resort. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: We stayed inParadise Row cottages which required a shuttle ride to the main resort where the restaur...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 8, 2013

In full bloom and full glory in April. Staff was super friendly....enjoyed the golf museum and the grandeur of the whole place. Horse riding, carriage rides, beautiful pool.....definitely a destination place to try!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Donna G
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I got to play all 3 golf courses here more than once using their golf package. Unbelievable value. Excellent service both in clubhouse and from forecaddy on the course. Old Whitehead is the best of the lot. Greenbrier is a tough course and when rough is high, it is not for high handicappers. Meadows is the easiest, but still offers great views. The snack stand could be better.

Also consider these accommodations in or near White Sulphur Springs
Hampton Inn Covington VA
Hampton Inn Covington VA
#1 of 5 in Covington
Magnuson Hotel Mountain View

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!